• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZC - Not Impressed

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems quite likely that the popular Boxing Day test at the Basin will be scrapped this year, and if that wasn't bad enough, it would be replaced by an ODI at Eden Park. This clashes with traditionally one of Auckland's biggest sporting events, New Zealand Derby day at Ellerslie racecourse, an event which usually attracts around 30,000 people. As much as I love going to ODI cricket, there is no way I would miss Derby day.

This is not a good move by NZC and will damage the attendance for both events.

Surely, if they really need an ODI instead of a test on Boxing Day, they could manage to put it in Wellington or Christchurch instead?

Craig

World Traveller
So is ODIs now the main focus like when India toured?

Although I could see the logic with a World Cup around the corner.

_Ed_

I think Snedden has said that it is important to get as much revenue as possible during the holiday period and that ODIs are the only way to achieve that.

I would have thought from previous years that the attendance for the Boxing Day tests have been very good, often not much grass visible on the banks.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite frankly, Snedden's right...if NZ want to make a profit then unfortunately an ODI on Boxing Day is the way to go.

What does NZC want to do? please Wellington fans or gain extra money for use at the Academy? it's a tricky one which im pleased I don't have to make.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This rubbish about Derby Day being affected in Auckland is over the top IMO. Sure a few thousand turn out..big deal. Don't forget there's another 1.4 million people in Auckland.
How many kids go to Derby Day anyway?, probably not many.

Dougie Rydal

Cricket Spectator
How many people will go to Eden Park on Boxing Day, I mean it's only Sri Lanka, i think these days attendance at ODI's is determined by who's playing rather than the ocassion, whereas the Boxing Day, the opposition is irreleavent, especially on the the first couple of days.

I suppose though Sneddon will see that the Basin full seats about 11 thousand bursting at the seams, and probably more likely 8 or 9k, whereas Eden Park will probably get around 20k I suppose.

So yeah it is a tough one,

Sentiment V Cash

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see Eden Park on Boxing Day being successful if NZ do well in the ICC Trophy & then in Australia.
But I would prefer to see a Boxing Day test myself.

shaka

International Regular
I prefer test matches too because of the consistent performances in order to win the test.

How many people would turn up to a boxing day test if it were held in Auckland? probably more than Wellington.

IMO tests are more of a measuring stone on how well a team can perform, but I do believe that NZ has a good team in both forms of the game.

Dougie Rydal

Cricket Spectator
Although i'm impressed by our seemingly invincible one day form,i t has obviously come at the expense of our test form. And i know i would much rather we were 2nd in the test rankings and 6th in the ODI's rather than as we are now, the reverse.

I still remember test series scores of most of the series we have played over the last 20years or so, but i'll be buggered if i can remember any further back than last summer when it comes to remembering the results of one day series.

I enjoy both but feel the tests are the truer form of the game, and where most kudos lie.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I absolutely agree with you. I've always been more disappointed with a 3-0 test loss than say a 3-0 ODI loss.

I mean...everytime NZ play, if they lose im always disappointed but a test loss definately hurts more.

nibbs

International Captain
this is great news. i'm going to postpone my holiday plans so i can go to the odi...

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Now if you said you were postponing your wedding plans for the ODI I would have been impressed.

Keep the Boxing Day test!

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
I absolutely agree with you. I've always been more disappointed with a 3-0 test loss than say a 3-0 ODI loss.

I mean...everytime NZ play, if they lose im always disappointed but a test loss definately hurts more.
Bugger that, any lose hurts.

I simply to not like losing.

_Ed_

Tim said:
This rubbish about Derby Day being affected in Auckland is over the top IMO. Sure a few thousand turn out..big deal. Don't forget there's another 1.4 million people in Auckland.
How many kids go to Derby Day anyway?, probably not many.
Former cricketer Evan Gray shows some concern about the clash in this article (although admittedly he is a Wellingtonian so he is (quite rightly) biased towards the Boxing Day test at the Basin):
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2976810a1823,00.html

Auckland does have 1.4 million, but you would be surprised how many leave the city during the holiday period, thats why it would be wiser if you did have to have an ODI to hold it somewhere like Queenstown, where the attendance would be no weaker than at Eden Park I suggest, and Eden Park would have better attendance in early February.

As for kids, it is true that not many go to Derby day, but the types of people who occupy the terraces at ODIs (17-30 year olds) are certainly at Ellerslie in huge numbers on Boxing Day.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:

?? 'Around the corner' meaning three years away?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
My impression of a Boxing day match is that you go along, sit on the grass, relax & enjoy a full days play of test cricket. Rather than watching an ODI in a bucket-seat.

Waughney

International Debutant
Adamc said:
?? 'Around the corner' meaning three years away?
I think he was talking about the Ind NZ series in Dec-Jan 2003 where they played 7 ODI's ahead of the WC. Not sure of the scheduling but it must have been similar.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Waughney said:
I think he was talking about the Ind NZ series in Dec-Jan 2003 where they played 7 ODI's ahead of the WC. Not sure of the scheduling but it must have been similar.
What? Youre going backwards...

Waughney

International Debutant
Linda said:
What? Youre going backwards...
Read his post again:
Craig said:

I was explaining what Craig said to Adamc