• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Butcher in car Crash

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
England batsman no.3 , Mark Butcher has been injured in a car crash, ironically whilst on the way to a treatment session for his thigh strain . Mark Butcher suffered whiplash, as a vehicle hit the back of his car ,and now may not be fit to play. Robert Key, who was picked in the squad as possible cover may now get a shot at playing. Butcher said "I'll just have to see what the medics say because I've got no idea how it's going to affect me," in the Daily Telegraph. "The first thing will be to see how I feel in the morning."

Well perhaps Key will get his second chance.

Craig

World Traveller
Well I hope he takes it should he play.

He would miss out for the 2nd Test barring injury, but at least he isn't out of the picture.

Richard Jenkins

Cricket Spectator
Key would miss out of the second test UNLESS

1 he scores like 200
2 Someone in the top four gets injured

I think key should work on his bowling. if he could bowl occasional something or other, it would be more intersting to the selectors. Or eat less pies.

shaka

International Regular
Butcher is good if he gets going, and his bowling gives England an extra bowler when it is needed, so he will be missed. Key is a capable replacement though

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard Jenkins said:
I think key should work on his bowling. if he could bowl occasional something or other, it would be more intersting to the selectors.
Don't see why, when we already play 5 front line, plus Vaughan and Trescothick (and Butcher to an extent)

Richard Jenkins said:
Or eat less pies.
At least we wouldn't be able to accuse hm of bowling them - he'd have already eaten them!

tooextracool

International Coach
marc you wondered how key would get his chance to play in for england(without playing in the ODI side)....well here it is. now its up to him to make the most of it and make himself undroppable aka strauss
my guess is that it was rob key driving the car that hit the back of his :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The chances of someone whose past record is not the greatest, is likely to be batting out of position, and hasn't had a serious bat in a month or so succeeding are slim IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
The chances of someone whose past record is not the greatest, is likely to be batting out of position, and hasn't had a serious bat in a month or so succeeding are slim IMO.
well its the best chance he'll get.....if hes good enough he'll take it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fortunately it seems the injury is not serious, but it does look likely to keep him out of The First Test.
Why couldn't this have been posted in the *Official* thread?

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
marc you wondered how key would get his chance to play in for england(without playing in the ODI side)....well here it is. now its up to him to make the most of it and make himself undroppable aka strauss
my guess is that it was rob key driving the car that hit the back of his :p
Unless Key made off like Maurice Greene, I think the words coming out of Butchers mouth at Key would not be fit for this forum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard Jenkins said:
sorry.new here and didn't read those 'faq/rules till too late. You may wish to move this thread there.
Sadly as far as I know that's not possible, you can only merge single posts, anyway Neil isn't here and no-one else seems to bother.
Anyway, never mind - long as you know from now on. :)