• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VVS Laxman...is he really that good?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
the thing is ganguly averages more than tendulkar at 3 and tendulkar averages far higher at the top than at 3 or 4.....why exactly should that be changed??laxman too averages higher at 3 than anywhere else in the order...but of course you would would rather make laxman bat in a position where he performs worse and tendulkar bat in a position where he isnt comfortable.
yes the best thing would be for tendulkar to bat at 4 which is why they've tried it so very often, but the fact is that he hasnt been half a successful at 4 so they've sent him back up
Maybe he hasn't been as succesful but if his moderate (relatively speaking) success has contributed to better totals then this is the best option.
I wouldn't put him down as the selfish type so I doubt he'll make too much of a fuss if he's not scoring as heavily as he otherwise likely would be.
And what do you not understand about:
Ganguly
Sehwag
Laxman
Tendulkar
?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ganguly has been every bit as successful opening as at three.
Tendulkar at four is best for the team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, in plenty of people's opinion, based on Tendulkar's diversity of skills and the diversity of skills required by someone batting at four - especially for India - in one-day-internationals.
The last thing you need is a one-dimensional - however brilliant he is at that dimension - player like Laxman there.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Maybe he hasn't been as succesful but if his moderate (relatively speaking) success has contributed to better totals then this is the best option.
but he hasnt on several occasions....thats why they've sent him back at the top!

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
No, in plenty of people's opinion, based on Tendulkar's diversity of skills and the diversity of skills required by someone batting at four - especially for India - in one-day-internationals.
what part of tendulkar has not contributed enough at 4 do you not understand?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
If it's "in plenty", how come nobody else seems to back it?
Because no-one else on this particular board seems keen to become involved in this thread.
Why don't you start a "do you think Tendulkar would be best for India batting at one\two or four in ODIs poll", try to encourage others to back you?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
what part of tendulkar has not contributed enough at 4 do you not understand?
The part that doesn't exist, probably.
Is averaging 38 really not contributing enough in your esteem?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
but he hasnt on several occasions....thats why they've sent him back at the top!
He hasn't on several occasions - and he has on several others!
The main reason I suspect they have sent him back to the top is because he prefers batting there and to deny SRT what he wishes is playing with fire in an extreme way.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Because no-one else on this particular board seems keen to become involved in this thread.

So you in your infinite wisdom are now declaring that even though they're not expressing an opinion, they actually agree with you then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And in your equally infinate such, it is assumed that if someone does not comment, they must be disagreeing with me.
You are and tooextracool are the only ones who have consistently disagreed with me about anything - it's just there have been occasional people who have picked arguments with me in certain threads.
You use this to make the excuse that "no-one agrees with you about anything".

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
And in your equally infinate such, it is assumed that if someone does not comment, they must be disagreeing with me.
You are and tooextracool are the only ones who have consistently disagreed with me about anything - it's just there have been occasional people who have picked arguments with me in certain threads.
I wont get into a discussion with you Richard, but

Tendulkar is the best batsman in the world and he became that by opening in ODI's and thats where he belongs.

As for need of a versatile player at 4, India has Dravid at 5, who can be moved to 4 if situation demands. And he has been doing a wonderful job at 5.. So why break what works ? Also Ganguly is a wonderful player of spin, and not so good player of pace, so makes sense to bring him at 4 so as to avoid facing new ball...

IMO: Sehwag, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dravid is perfect...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
delkap said:
I wont get into a discussion with you Richard, but

Tendulkar is the best batsman in the world and he became that by opening in ODI's and thats where he belongs.

As for need of a versatile player at 4, India has Dravid at 5, who can be moved to 4 if situation demands. And he has been doing a wonderful job at 5.. So why break what works ? Also Ganguly is a wonderful player of spin, and not so good player of pace, so makes sense to bring him at 4 so as to avoid facing new ball...

IMO: Sehwag, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dravid is perfect...
yeh that is my indian top 5 as well.

VVS Laxman...is he really that good?

yes he is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:

If they agreed with you, they'd stand up and back you up.

Similarly, it's not just one thread about where best to bat SRT, has been mentioned in others.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
The part that doesn't exist, probably.
Is averaging 38 really not contributing enough in your esteem?
considering he averages 11 runs higher at the top, no its not enough......

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
He hasn't on several occasions - and he has on several others!
The main reason I suspect they have sent him back to the top is because he prefers batting there and to deny SRT what he wishes is playing with fire in an extreme way.
so why send him back down to 4 then?? hes done better at the top and only a fool would send him down the order when a)he doesnt like batting there and b) he goes from being 'brilliant' to 'ordinary' at 4

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
take a good look at this thread and see how many people would rather have tendulkar at 4.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
delkap said:
IMO he became that by batting at four in Test-matches - and IMO he's not the best ODI batsman in The World, Michael Bevan is.
I never said move Dravid away from five! :wallbash: How many times to people have to think I've said something I haven't?
Ganguly has shown, in his many many excellent innings at the top of the order that his fallibility against pace is purely theoretical. IMO he's best opening with Sehwag.