• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lunchtime XI

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have you seen his book? There are pictures of him playing for Gloucestershire when he was younger....I'll try and find a picture on the net.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
Have you seen his book? There are pictures of him playing for Gloucestershire when he was younger....I'll try and find a picture on the net.
Nope... Im standing to be corrected right now :)

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
I can't find a photo of him anywhere!! Not old ones, at least.
If I had a scanner, I would use it but I don't....

I can give you the quotes underneath two of the pictures in his book:

Quote 1
"Another very proud moment was when I received my Gloucestershire cap in 1969. Note a 23-year-old Mike Procter*, third from left. And the, ahem, generous build of a freshly-capped first-class cricketer."

Quote 2 1976
"A fine figure of a man! It's difficult to imagine a player of my build playing the first-class game today."

*Now Mike Procter is another who wasn't exactly Makhaya-Ntini-fit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Okay.. You win :)

Good point on Makhaya.. he is the most athletic guy in world cricket I think.. That 6 wickets he took in a long spell in the heat against NZ in Bloem' was amazing.. It was an absolute featherbed.. I guess Shoaib will give him a run for his money though...

PY

International Coach
Or Brett Lee? He seems fairly athletic.

I'm sure Shoaib wouldn't get injured if he had to 'run for his money'. ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:

I'm sure Shoaib wouldn't get injured if he had to 'run for his money'. ;)
Aren't the Pakistani players performance payed??

So in a sense he does!! :)

I think Brett Lee's action takes less out of him than the other two.. Which in a sense is good stuff from him...

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
PY said:
All thanks to Shane Warne's mommy's pills :D ;)
Only kidding. He does seem pretty fit but he does get injured frequently. Almost as often as Ngam :p

On the third day of each and every test he plays (I think it's the third day) he runs to the ground from his hotel and then back again at the end of the day. They filmed him once :)

PY

International Coach
Protea said:
All thanks to Shane Warne's mommy's pills :D ;)
You cynic.....suppose you're allowed to be after the last two World Cups. :tongue:

*runs and hides*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Protea said:
"A fine figure of a man! It's difficult to imagine a player of my build playing the first-class game today."
Craig Evans.
I couldn't believe it when I saw him for the first time, playing in a Test-match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
Gatting is a senior player in the side, hence wanting access to the lunch room before others!
Well, why didn't they say it was in access-to-lunch-room-order?
Duh, silly me, I thought it was batting-order! :mellow:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Protea said:
I just find this so funny 8-)

Hansie: The Devil Made Me Do It...
Shane: My Mummy Made Me Do It...

:laugh:

**No disrespect to Hansie, may he rest in peace**

regardless of your last comment, i find that very disrespectful... and not anywhere near the side of funny

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Rod Latham

If this were an ODI team I would have Rod Latham as the opener. He was never the finest exponent of running between the Wickets.

Merv Hughes should be an automatic pick for such a team.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
How can anyone forget Brad Williams on more recent players...
Aravinda DeSilva ??
Gough ??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isn't "Cricket Humour" about cricket?
In fact, isn't it about humour in cricket?
And isn't that the point of threads like this?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
delkap said:
How can anyone forget Brad Williams on more recent players...
Aravinda DeSilva ??
Gough ??
Aravinda and Goughie are both brilliant players who happened, mostly in their later years, to be a bit less than thin.
Not those who stuff their faces at every opportunity.