• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AA for Middlesex

Sudeep

International Captain
Ajit Agarkar and Glenn McGrath. :thumbsup: Middlesex.

Agarkar's bowling style can be most effective when a bowler like McGrath is bowling at the other end. I think it'll bring out the best in him.

India's loss is Middlesex's gain...

masterblaster

International Captain
Agreed entirely Sudeep, some good points there. The County stint should make Agarkar a much better cricketer. Also his batting should be a thing to watch as well.

shankar

International Debutant
The middlesex players must be overawed at playing alongside 2 all-time greats of the game :-O
Maybe AA can give McGrath a few batting lessons :D :D :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Chad Keegan might just have something to say about that.
Can't see Agarkar having the new-ball ahead of Keegan somehow.

masterblaster

International Captain
Agarkar has been a brilliant 3rd ball bowler for India in the ODI's anyway, so it won't upset him one bit if Keegan and McGrath open the bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's what I meant - IMO it would be much better for Agarkar - and hence for the team - if he bowled first-change.
Still should help him take wickets if he's bowling with McGrath at the other end, without doubt.
He'll just have to hope he gets to bowl quite a bit with him. Neither are there for all that long IIRR.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why McGrath specifically?
In the First-Class game because McGrath's a very good bowler on seaming wickets and if McGrath's getting wickets (and he's more likely to get wickets than anyone else at Middlesex) Agarkar is far more likely to get some.
In the one-day game because batsmen are more likely to treat McGrath with the respect he deserves, let him be economical and try to score off Agarkar. Hopefully this won't mean Agarkar is very expensive but certainly if he bowls well it will mean he'll get lots of wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But why is he?

If that were the case, how do bowlers ever take 7 or more in an innings, seeing as the other end bowlers are likely to get wickets if one end is?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because they're likely, not certain, to.
That's why 7-fors are a rare and exceptional feat. Anyone who takes 7 wickets in an innings has done very, very well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except of course, for Harmison in the West Indies, because his 7-12 was all poor batting, lucky wickets and generally how he managed to escape without conceding 100 runs in that innings I'll never know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Except of course, for Harmison in the West Indies, because his 7-12 was all poor batting, lucky wickets and generally how he managed to escape without conceding 100 runs in that innings I'll never know.
No, it wasn't all poor batting, and certainly if he'd bowled 40 overs in that vein I doubt he'd have conceded 100 runs.
Even that 7-12 was an exceptional feat, if only bearing in mind how totally useless he was before it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Even that 7-12 was an exceptional feat, if only bearing in mind how totally useless he was before it.
another player you would have dropped because you felt that he had no potential.......