• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AA for Middlesex

tooextracool

International Coach
Nnanden said:
well he was doin really awful at one stage...
yes he was but there were periods where he bowled well too....notably in the 2nd inning of the 4th test in australia and the 1st inning of the 5th test at sydney

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
another player you would have dropped because you felt that he had no potential.......
And of course he's one of a massive number in that boat...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
yes he was but there were periods where he bowled well too....notably in the 2nd inning of the 4th test in australia and the 1st inning of the 5th test at sydney
And the periods which sandwiched those were so bad few have approached them. Averaging 100 and 72...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Keep going Richard.

You never know he might not be a successful bowler over his career.

I know where my money is.

The point is that over that whole Ashes series, he impressed several Australian critics, and I can't remember too many Englishmen to gain that accolade.

18 months on, and his record speaks for itself...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where have I ever said his record over the past 5 months is not exceptional?
And it seemed Australians were equally "impressed" with Key, and look where that's come to so far.
Of course, that could so easily all start to change tomorrow...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Richard said:
And it seemed Australians were equally "impressed" with Key, and look where that's come to so far.
Of course, that could so easily all start to change tomorrow...

Hmmm........... :eek:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right, I'm getting sick of this.
Where, ever, did I say "it is not possible that Stephen Harmison will ever become a prolific wicket-taker in Test-cricket"? (and thus far he has been such for... oh, 6 out of 7 matches)
All I said was that Harmison was very, very poor and had a general pattern of this, being about as bad as it's possible to be (getting an occasional catch at third-man and not much else) then having very short spells of wicket-taking. And of course, having regular spells of weak-team bullying.
I have never said he has not improved - I have said that I still believe most of his wickets are coming through poor batting (just far, far more regularly than previously).
Hence, how have I been "proven wrong"?
A bowler has improved - that is all. I never said that "was not going to happen". Nor has Harmison done - yet - what I always said he hadn't done (ie take wickets consistently through good bowling rather than poor batting).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Nor has Harmison done - yet - what I always said he hadn't done (ie take wickets consistently through good bowling rather than poor batting).

So Harmison hasn't been bowling well this last 6 months then?

Didn't think so...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did I say that? Did I say, either "Harmison will not bowl well in the first 4 months of Test-cricket in 2004"?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seeing as you've said he isn't take wickets consistently with good bowling, and he's consistently taking wickets, it follows therefore that he's not bowling well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Seeing as you've said he isn't take wickets consistently with good bowling, and he's consistently taking wickets, it follows therefore that he's not bowling well.
No, it follows that he's not bowling with as much penetration as it might seem.
Not no penetration at all.
And incidentally, it's not as if the most recent game showed him in the finest light. And no, I'm not saying that one game proves that much when it's preceded by 6 of 7 that it has been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
of course we all know that the best bowlers are the ones that lack penetration outside of home.....like vaas
And of course that was shown ambiguously in the Darwin Test wasn't it?

tooextracool

International Coach
rather it has been shown quite often in england and SA. the conditions in the darwin test were very similar to the ones at home,up and down wicket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And Sri Lankan wickets are so often uneven in bounce, aren't they?
I can only comment on the last 4 years, but they certainly haven't been then!

tooextracool

International Coach
1)his overall average is still 38 in australia
2) he has consistently failed in seaming and swinging conditions in england and SA....