• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka A Tour to England

Legglancer

State Regular
This is good news for the Sri lankens by their extreamly encouraging performances so far ( 7 win's from 7) !

Sri Lanka A in England Schedule and Results

Wed 30 Jun TOUR British Universities Won by 138 runs Leicester

Sat 03 Jul TOUR Yorkshire Won by 7 wickets Headingley

Mon 05 Jul TOUR Durham Won by 37 runs (D/L method) Riverside

Wed 07 Jul TOUR Worcestershire Won by 6 wickets New Road

Fri 09 Jul TOUR Glamorgan Won by 141 runs Sophia Gardens

Mon 12 Jul TOUR Sussex Won by 95 runs Hove

Wed 14 Jul TOUR Kent Won by 4 wickets Canterbury

Sat 17 - Mon 19 Jul TOUR West Indies Shenley

Wed 21 - Sat 24 Jul TOUR Glamorgan Swansea

Tue 27 - Fri 30 Jul TOUR Somerset Taunton

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Extremely promising, although will be interesting if they can continue the good form in the long form of the game.

Legglancer

State Regular
SpaceMonkey said:
Extremely promising, although will be interesting if they can continue the good form in the long form of the game.
Good point ..... Today against Kent they rested their top performers like Gunewardena, Jayantha, Kadamby and still managed win fairly easily .... im sure this will be a wakeup call for the likes of jaywardena, Dilshan, Arnold to get their act together.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some may say (I certainly would) that Russel Arnold should be here, not playing Test-cricket!
He might be part of the second-best team, but he certainly ain't part of the best.
On the actual note, has an "A"-team ever had such a successful one-day leg of an England tour? They've been brilliant so far - 7 one-day games, 7 wins is a fantastic effort.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
when does SL A play WI ? didnt know that was coming up!

Very good news indeed for Sri lankan cricket but The cricket board should capitalize on this fast, saman jayantha the main star for SL A team is 30 something years old, he cannot be sitting in the pavillion for much longer. thilina kandamby needs to be worked on as well.
As for arnold i believe he's a top notch cricketer who needs to be persisted with, the same way the SL board has persisited with mahela., i believe mahela has been given soo many chances that arnold has not been lucky to have had. even when mahela scores he looks to be struggling, i dont recall when i last saw mahela score freely and confidently!
both mahela and arnold need to be given a break, or arnold needs to bat higher up in the order, whilst mahela gets a break and plays a few months of domestic cricket. i think he has become complacent and needs to fight for his place in the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hmm Jayawardene 61 matches, 4306 runs @ 47.84 - can't work out why he's been given so many chances.

Arnold 44 matches, 1821 runs @ 28.01 - can't see why he's not had many more chances.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
SL A's performances

Are SL A's opposition of decent strength? When SL A toured NZ last year they got thrashed in every match by NZ A. In the tests they lost by an innings plus much more in each match and then by a fortune in the one day matches. They closest they came was when the weather interfered.

Mind you, NZ does have a lot of promising young cricketers (mainly batsmen).

Last edited:

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
SL A, played against English counties, i would think the county players are of "decent strength" ?

as for mahela and arnold. mahela has play 17 more test than arnold, i'm sure arnold would also have an average of 47.84 if got the chance to play those 17 more test.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Hmm Jayawardene 61 matches, 4306 runs @ 47.84 - can't work out why he's been given so many chances.
Fact is this guy thens to boost his own average in his own backyard and get some weaker teams.

What has he done against Australia when required? Stuff all.

The guy is immesinly over-rated.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Fact is, the guy averages 78 v India, 58 v England, 58 v NZ, 47 v WI and 45 v RSA. Just because he only averages 30 v Australia is not reason enough to drop him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:
as for mahela and arnold. mahela has play 17 more test than arnold, i'm sure arnold would also have an average of 47.84 if got the chance to play those 17 more test.

In order to do that he'd have to score in the region of 2500 runs in 17 tests.

Seeing as in 44 games, he's scored 1821, that is about as likely as me opening the batting for the West Indies next Thursday.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
australia..australia..australia... noone wants to come there mate??? :D

as for mahela, i still think he's very complacent and doesnt feel like his place in the team is threatened. thats the difference between the aussies and SL. aussies have a good second string set of players so the top 11 will always feel they HAVE to perform.

brockley

International Captain
I would think being number 1 in both forms of the game,and having the best cricket academy as well as the best domestic competition in the world would be a major drawcard for international A teams,obviously it is not.I dunno maybe cricket australia has something to do with this policy.Srilanka A are having a good tour makes up for a pathetic tour against new zealand A recently.