• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW XI Pre-season Signup

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok folks. The time has come once again for pre-season promotion for Cricket Web's resident non-pbem simulation league - the Cricket Web XI. Currently there are about 55 or so active players in the league but we hope for more.

For those who have no clue what I'm on about, check the CW XI Forum. .

For those of you who would like to sign up and be part of the CW XI system, please fill out the following:

Name (forum name will suffice):
Batting type (LHB/RHB):
Batting avge:
Bowling type (RF, FM, OS, LS etc.):
Bowling avge:
Fielding rating (3-27 with 27 being Jonty Rhodes; multiples of 3 please):
Preferred batting position:
Bowling use (eg opening bowler etc.):
Batting SR OD:
Batting SR 5D:
Email (this will be used to contact you as developments occur):

I'm sure current members of the CW XI system can attest to how much fun the game is and hopefully encourage another healthy signup this offseason. :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Name: Adam
Batting type: LHB
Batting avge: 19.67 (2002/03... I only batted twice last season :p)
Bowling type: LM
Bowling avge: 7.88
Fielding rating: 21
Preferred batting position: 8/9
Bowling use: 1st change
Batting SR OD: 70
Batting SR 5D: 50
Email: adco73 @ hotmail.com

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I signed up in the development forum but this gives more info so i'll put myself down again :)

Name: superkingdave
Batting type: RHB
Batting avge: 23
Bowling type: Left Arm Chinamen
Bowling avge: 21
Fielding rating: 18
Preferred batting position: 8/9
Bowling use: Depends on surface/conditions (for info's sake 4th used)
Batting SR OD: 85
Batting SR 5D: 55
Email: for msn dave_kingofthewasters @ hotmail.com /
for email dave.p.richards @ btinternet.com

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Name: Delkap
Batting type: RHB
Batting avge: 15.4
Bowling type: M/LS
Bowling avge: 23
Fielding rating: 12
Preferred batting position: 7/8
Bowling use : 2nd change or spinner
Batting SR OD: 65
Batting SR 5D: 35
Email: dkan919@yahoo.com

Simon

AdamC, if u only batted twice last season how can ur average be 19.67?!?!
i dont think that would be mathematically possible...... unless im a gumby!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
AdamC, if u only batted twice last season how can ur average be 19.67?!?!
i dont think that would be mathematically possible...... unless im a gumby!
I only batted twice in 2003/04, so i gave my average for 2002/03. :) My 2003/04 average is 1.0...

Loony BoB

International Captain
I've looked through that forum a couple of times now and I still can't figure out for the life of me exactly how it works. You should really get an FAQ (including step-by-step explanation) going if you want people to join in, because otherwise you'll end up with a lot of people quite like me just giving up before they even start. Here's a few questions for you to think about:

1) Do you base your statistics on club scores or can they be completely ficticious?
2) Who decides on what is realistic and what isn't?
3) How do you get into a side?
4) How do you get into the Cricket Web XI?
5) How do you develop your skills?
6) Are there any specific things one needs to do throughout the games/etc?
6a) If so, what are they?
6b) How often do they need to be done?
6c) What happens if you are unavailable?
6d) What happens if I'm unavailable for a long time?

etc.

Someone who's played this sort of thing before might think the answers are obvious, but to a person like me who hasn't seen anything quite like it, it's definitely not obvious at all! I'd love to get involved, though, so let me know the answers to those questions and I'll be sure to look into it. If you have to base your stats off any real club stats or something of the sort, I'm out - I had a car accident about five or so years ago and haven't been able to play sports seriously since - not that I ever really played seriously at all, but it definitely buggered up any future possibilities. :(

I'll keep digging through all the question threads in that forum but in the past I've found nothing very specific, usually it's just a vague response about reading some other thread that doesn't really answer the questions I've got.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Loony BoB said:
I've looked through that forum a couple of times now and I still can't figure out for the life of me exactly how it works. You should really get an FAQ (including step-by-step explanation) going if you want people to join in, because otherwise you'll end up with a lot of people quite like me just giving up before they even start. Here's a few questions for you to think about:

1) Do you base your statistics on club scores or can they be completely ficticious?
2) Who decides on what is realistic and what isn't?
3) How do you get into a side?
4) How do you get into the Cricket Web XI?
5) How do you develop your skills?
6) Are there any specific things one needs to do throughout the games/etc?
6a) If so, what are they?
6b) How often do they need to be done?
6c) What happens if you are unavailable?
6d) What happens if I'm unavailable for a long time?

etc.

Someone who's played this sort of thing before might think the answers are obvious, but to a person like me who hasn't seen anything quite like it, it's definitely not obvious at all! I'd love to get involved, though, so let me know the answers to those questions and I'll be sure to look into it. If you have to base your stats off any real club stats or something of the sort, I'm out - I had a car accident about five or so years ago and haven't been able to play sports seriously since - not that I ever really played seriously at all, but it definitely buggered up any future possibilities. :(

I'll keep digging through all the question threads in that forum but in the past I've found nothing very specific, usually it's just a vague response about reading some other thread that doesn't really answer the questions I've got.
I'll have a go at answering these questions:

1) Normally on club, if you can, but I've put mine to be completely fictional (seeing as I can't spell your version of it, and I'm convinced it's wrong)

2) The simmer, usually Liam (Mr M) or Lord of Darkness, will decide that.

3) You're automatically assigned a side by the simmer of the games.

4) You get picked by the selection panel - at the moment me, Andre, Liam and Blewy (the captain) - although there is some argument about this system.

5) As the Development League and international games go on, you have the opportunity to improve (or worsen) your statistics. These will then be used to sim more games, and so on.

6) Not necessarily. Reactions to the team's and your performance is nice, to show that you're taking an active interest.

6(a) See 6.
6(b) Now and then. ;)
6(c) No problem really - just post and tell, if you're worried that it might affect you.
6(d) See 6(c)

Hope that helped!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
1) Normally on club, if you can, but I've put mine to be completely fictional (seeing as I can't spell your version of it, and I'm convinced it's wrong)
Fictitious. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sorry Liam, but if you have already signed up, should you do it again?? especially since theres more details to be filled out now.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
btw guys, this is an awesome thing to get involved in, not to mention very easy to participate in thanks to some hard working fellows

Loony BoB

International Captain
Definitely helped. :) And yes, checked dictionary.com, it turns out it's spelt "fictitious" - so close... oh well. One more confirmation - this is all done using an automatic game simulator, am I right? Any details on the program used (more out of curiosity than anything else). But that really helped. You should really post that into a stickied FAQ thread, this let me know everything I needed to know, really. I'll try to come up with a fictitious player soon enough... I'll make it a pretty average one so it doesn't look like I've just taken advantage of not having to make the effort from club cricket.

Name (forum name will suffice): Loony BoB
Batting type (LHB/RHB): RHB
Batting avge: 35.00
Bowling type (RF, FM, OS, LS etc.): OS
Bowling avge: 47.00
Fielding rating (3-27 with 27 being Jonty Rhodes; multiples of 3 please): 18
Preferred batting position: 1/2, 5 otherwise.
Bowling use (eg opening bowler etc.): Part time spinner only if required (rare!)
Batting SR OD: 75.00
Batting SR 5D: 50.00
Email (this will be used to contact you as developments occur): Loony_BoB@yahoo.com

I hope that's okay for a starter... *unsure*

Would it not be better to include the following?
Preferred batting position OD: 1/2/5
Preferred batting position 5D: 1/2/5
Batting avge OD: 32.00
Batting avge 5D: 38.00
Bowling eco OD: 4.20

I figure those are pretty important statistics (the last three in particular, not so much the batting order/game deal), at least in my opinion... not sure if the program you use (if you do) allows for it, though.

EDIT: Man, I really say "really" really often. Really.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ok, I'm sure Liam reads the thread and maybe stickies my answers (with his own additions), and those stats will do nicely. I don't think different averages are needed for OD and 5D (either Liam adjusts them himself, or he actually hasn't thought of that...would explain why our bowlers are crap in 5D but not in OD :))

As for question 7) What simming program is used?

We have used Syedur Rahman's Cricket Simulator up to Season 5 of the Development League, but seeing that this has limitations (especially in the ODIs, where it tends to have no sense of chasing whatsoever), we are now changing to International Test Cricket for first-class cricket in Season 6 of the Dev League and future Test series after the Bangladesh tour, and to Howzat One Day International for List-A cricket in Season 6 of the Dev League and future ODI series (uncertain whether the change will occur before or after the Bangladesh tour).

Nnanden: You don't have to sign up again, but you must put your fielding rating and strike rate in the "ITC Conversion 2" thread in the CW XI forums.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Would bowling economy rate not be important, though? In List A / ODI's, you could want to have a player like Vettori but it seems there's no way to judge on that.

Can't wait to see how things go.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm not entirely sure whether HODI can handle that, so you better ask Liam. The only simming program I know of that uses economy is VC4, and that is even worse for ODIs, apparently.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Loony BoB said:
Would bowling economy rate not be important, though? In List A / ODI's, you could want to have a player like Vettori but it seems there's no way to judge on that.

Can't wait to see how things go.
As Sam said, HODI doesn't take bowling economy into account. As such, I'm a little hesitant about switching to it because it's not a massive OD upgrade from Syedur Rahman's. VC4 is full of errors in the ODI sim, so that's not in too much contention. There is one other freeware sim which would be ideal, except that it doesn't save scorecards. I'd have to take screenshots.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Loony BoB said:
I figure those are pretty important statistics (the last three in particular, not so much the batting order/game deal), at least in my opinion... not sure if the program you use (if you do) allows for it, though.

EDIT: Man, I really say "really" really often. Really.
The reason why separate stats for OD and FC aren't a general requirement is that a lot of people only have stats for one form, so the stats for the other form are generated for them. However, it's a timesaver for sure when such stats are readily supplied so your OD stats will definitely be taken into account.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Just a note, that was OD / 5D, not OD / FC. I figured that 5D meant five day, as in tests etc. But thanks. :) I look forward to watching my player's stats worsening over time. :D