• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sehwag going for 200

First man to 200 in ODI

• Sehwag

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Gilchrist

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Ponting

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Hayden

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Flintoff

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Gayle

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Lara

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag has said he is going to give it a go going for a double century vs UAE in the up coming Asia Cup.

Do you think he will do it, or do you thinkthat someone else will get to this figure before sehwag, someone like Gilchrist, or Gayle, or Lara, or Gibbs etc

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've gone for Hayden.

It has to be an opener really, and Hayden has shown he doesn't get tired by plaing longer attacking knocks.

Swervy

International Captain
i personally would think it a shame if someone gets it vs a team which is barely of international standard

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
If anyone has a chance of scoring 200 runs in ODIs, it's going to be Hayden IMO, he has a solid technique, he is strong, confident and very attacking. Unlike Sehwag he doesn't give too many chances while batting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
i personally would think it a shame if someone gets it vs a team which is barely of international standard
Are you talking about Ban and Zim (who are barely international standard) or the UAE and HK (who are barely club cricket standard) ?

Kent

State 12th Man
Flintoff (a current #5) is an option in this poll, yet Astle or Fleming weren't!

NZ's in-form skipper has a game against the USA coming up, while Astle is the only player to get anywhere near scoring a test 200 in a number of balls comparable to an OD innings I believe.

If we bat first on a small ground, and the Americans are as juicy as Caddick, Hoggard and Flintoff were, who knows? ;)

Swervy

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Are you talking about Ban and Zim (who are barely international standard) or the UAE and HK (who are barely club cricket standard) ?
erm yes...actually i mean vs teams barely of club cricket standard

Loony BoB

International Captain
I also think it'll have to be an opener or at least a #3. But otherwise I suppose any of the openers for the stronger test nations would be capable of doing it on a good day. It just has to be their day.

EDIT: And come on, of course it's going to happen against a side like UAE. I know some of the top teams in the world aren't fantastic, but I can't even see Zimbabwe allowing for a 200 to be scored against them. It would take a truely once-in-a-century kind of effort to pull off in an ODI against a decent test playing side.

Swervy

International Captain
Kent said:
Flintoff (a current #5) is an option in this poll, yet Astle or Fleming weren't!

NZ's in-form skipper has a game against the USA coming up, while Astle is the only player to get anywhere near scoring a test 200 in a number of balls comparable to an OD innings I believe.

If we bat first on a small ground, and the Americans are as juicy as Caddick, Hoggard and Flintoff were, who knows? ;)
I put Flintoff in there just coz he popped into my head,doesnt mean I think he has a better chance than other players..however I dont think him coming in at number 5 would exclude him from possibly getting to 200..but it wouldnt surprise me if in some game soon-ish we actually see him coming in higher than 5.

Swervy

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
EDIT: And come on, of course it's going to happen against a side like UAE. I know some of the top teams in the world aren't fantastic, but I can't even see Zimbabwe allowing for a 200 to be scored against them. It would take a truely once-in-a-century kind of effort to pull off in an ODI against a decent test playing side.
i dont think that is a sure thing...of the scores in ODI which have come pretty close to 200,most of them are vs fully fledged,and in a lot of them, strong teams.

And the way Ponting was batting in the World Cup final,maybe if he had batted for say 8 or 9 more overs, he may well have broken the 200 barrier.

For me, I think Gilchrist is in the best position to do it, that game vs USA in a couple of months looks pretty ripe for it

PY

International Coach
Or more likely that all of England's top order will collapse and Freddie will be in after 3-4 overs anyway.

UAE I think are a fair way better than Hong Kong but I'm not really certain of this fact.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
however I dont think him coming in at number 5 would exclude him from possibly getting to 200..

Because numbers 1, 2 and 3 for England only tend to last about 5 overs!

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Loony BoB said:
but I can't even see Zimbabwe allowing for a 200 to be scored against them.
it almost happened this year, that too against the full zim team. if only gilchrist had a bit of patience........

Sudeep

International Captain
Hayden or Gilchrist. More likely the latter.

Sehwag doesn't have the temperament to last that much.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle. He has the ability to bat through 50 overs, as he has demonstrated many times over. All he has to do is increase his scoring rate a little. :)

masterblaster

International Captain
Tendulkar could do it, he's a dynamo when it comes to ODI Cricket and Im surprised nobody has mentioned him.

His new style of play has improved his temprement and technique as he has proved he has aggression as well as the technique to make a 200.

His highest score is 186 v New Zealand, im sure if he doesnt get rested for the UAE match, he can make the 200.