• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sehwag going for 200

First man to 200 in ODI

• Sehwag

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Gilchrist

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Ponting

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Hayden

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Flintoff

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Gayle

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Lara

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eclipse

International Debutant
masterblaster said:
Tendulkar could do it, he's a dynamo when it comes to ODI Cricket and Im surprised nobody has mentioned him.

His new style of play has improved his temprement and technique as he has proved he has aggression as well as the technique to make a 200.

His highest score is 186 v New Zealand, im sure if he doesnt get rested for the UAE match, he can make the 200.
His new style has seen him lower his aggresion alot as well.

He's not really a dynamo any more and I would be hugely supprised if he did make 200 at this stage in his carear.

Players do change and personaly I dont think Tendulkar is even capable of hitting out the way he used to. Infact I think he batted out 50 overs against one of the minow sides in the WC and only made 150 odd despite batting against very poor bowlers & on a good flat pitch.

Dont take offense to this thats just the way I see it..

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Being an Aussie I will say Ponting or Gilchrist.

Gilly because he scores faster than any other good batsman in the world. And Ponting because he is a quality player who can probably score more runs in the last 10 overs than most other top order players.

However It will proably be somone we dont expect.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden for mine, he can bat at a fast rate for 50 overs, against a team that bowls 20 overs of spinners he could do it on his day.....

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:

He's not really a dynamo any more and I would be hugely supprised if he did make 200 at this stage in his carear.

Players do change and personaly I dont think Tendulkar is even capable of hitting out the way he used to. Infact I think he batted out 50 overs against one of the minow sides in the WC and only made 150 odd despite batting against very poor bowlers & on a good flat pitch.

That is because Sehwag has come in and scores at such a rate and has taken it off SRT's shoulders and it allows him to not score as quick.

Rest assured if you need 83 runs off 60 balls, I would most definatly want him there (SRT).

Back to the question, I back Virender Sehwag. He would either do it v Hong Kong or the UAE.

If he gets set and at rapid rate, it is entertainment for all (maybe not the fielding side).

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Craig said:
Back to the question, I back Virender Sehwag. He would either do it v Hong Kong
That, assuming Hong Kong defeats Bangladesh?

Craig said:
....or the UAE
Well so, India vs UAE (and probably Ind vs Ban) is the only match where Sehwag does stand that minute chance of scoring a double. And if India were to bat second, then there goes Sehwag's double century out the window.

So basically, his chances of actually getting that double ton in this series are next to nothing.

Deja moo

International Captain
Eclipse said:

You're confusing his test batting with ODI's .He hasnt gotten any slower in ODI's.....Only that he plays less risky shots now , but his SR hasnt dropped a bit in ODI's .

Eclipse

International Debutant
Deja moo said:
You're confusing his test batting with ODI's .He hasnt gotten any slower in ODI's.....Only that he plays less risky shots now , but his SR hasnt dropped a bit in ODI's .
His strike rate remains about 80 - 90 and while he does not score much slower than that he rarely scores a great deal faster. He is not explosive like he used to be and you need that to make 200.

This year at the SCG India were chasing 350+ and he made like 15 off 35 balls or something. The Tendulkar I knew from 4-5 years ago would never have done that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are so many farcical ODIs coming-up it's not remotely OOTQ for the 200 mark to be reached.
But I really do hope not.
It was bad enough Kirsten scoring 19whatever-it-was* against UAE in 1996.
Anwar's masterclass of 1997 does not deserve to be usurped by something in a game not worthy of ODI status.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Eclipse said:
His strike rate remains about 80 - 90 and while he does not score much slower than that he rarely scores a great deal faster. He is not explosive like he used to be and you need that to make 200.

This year at the SCG India were chasing 350+ and he made like 15 off 35 balls or something. The Tendulkar I knew from 4-5 years ago would never have done that.
I totally agree with you eclipse. Sachin is not what he used to be and I don't think he is capable of what he used to do as second nature, ie, take bowling attacks apart. He rarely even hits sixes anymore and he used to be such a good six hitter at one time. His SR is around 85 now...it used to be around 89 4 yrs ago.

I think either sehwag or ponting will get to 200 first.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
There are so many farcical ODIs coming-up it's not remotely OOTQ for the 200 mark to be reached.
But I really do hope not.
It was bad enough Kirsten scoring 19whatever-it-was* against UAE in 1996.
Anwar's masterclass of 1997 does not deserve to be usurped by something in a game not worthy of ODI status.
entirely agree

Sudeep

International Captain
Craig said:
That is because Sehwag has come in and scores at such a rate and has taken it off SRT's shoulders and it allows him to not score as quick.

Rest assured if you need 83 runs off 60 balls, I would most definatly want him there (SRT).

Back to the question, I back Virender Sehwag. He would either do it v Hong Kong or the UAE.

If he gets set and at rapid rate, it is entertainment for all (maybe not the fielding side).
IMO Sehwag is incapable of maintaining his temperament for the amount of time required to bat to score 200 runs.

Yes, yes, I know - I'll be argued upon with the fact of his triple century knock he played against Pakistan in Test, but I still won't change my opinion. That was just a one-off miracle :p

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
ReallyCrazy said:
I totally agree with you eclipse. Sachin is not what he used to be and I don't think he is capable of what he used to do as second nature, ie, take bowling attacks apart. He rarely even hits sixes anymore and he used to be such a good six hitter at one time. His SR is around 85 now...it used to be around 89 4 yrs ago.

I think either sehwag or ponting will get to 200 first.
By Zues some people here are tough markers with SRT's s/r in ODIs.

So what if his s/r has dropped from 89 to 85. It isn't as though it has dropped to 68.

If that isn't quick enough I do not know what is.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
By Zues some people here are tough markers with SRT's s/r in ODIs.

So what if his s/r has dropped from 89 to 85. It isn't as though it has dropped to 68.

If that isn't quick enough I do not know what is.
When was the last time you saw a big innings from Sachin with a strike rate over 130??

As I said he does not score slowly very often and thats why he maintains a high strike rate.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really dont know why so many people have gone for Hayden!!

He struggles to score 100 in ODIs, let alone 200. Hes scored only 4 hundreds and 22 fifties in his ODI career, so I doubt he could get 200.

M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 95 91 11 3366 146 42.07 77.95 4 22 34 0

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sudeep said:
Yes, yes, I know - I'll be argued upon with the fact of his triple century knock he played against Pakistan in Test, but I still won't change my opinion. That was just a one-off miracle :p
Which wouldn't have happened if the Pakistanis could catch.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
anyone think jayasuriya could do it on home soil? does he not have the secomd highests one day total?

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
Sehwag has said he is going to give it a go going for a double century vs UAE in the up coming Asia Cup.

Do you think he will do it, or do you thinkthat someone else will get to this figure before sehwag, someone like Gilchrist, or Gayle, or Lara, or Gibbs etc
Swervy, can you post that article. I don't think he said V/S UAE. He just mentioned a double in one-day

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dude said:
anyone think jayasuriya could do it on home soil? does he not have the secomd highests one day total?
Yep. Against India he scored 189 from 161 balls. The rest of the team scored 110 from 145. Arnold got 52 not out. That really shows the 'strength' of the Sri Lankan ODI lineup.

That said, India responded with 54 all out to comfort them. Vaas 5/14 and Murali 3/6.