• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 30 man squad for icc championships

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
And I would also rate Wagh ahead of Bell...

He has been in the thoughts a while now (went on the first academy tour), and his off spin is improving.

Also, how many Cricketers with surnames pronounced like his have failed at Inernational level?
Didnt the Waugh Twins have a brother, beginning with D who failed at the top?

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Didnt the Waugh Twins have a brother, beginning with D who failed at the top?
It would be Dean Waugh.

I think he played one or two FC games for NSW and last I knew of he was playing grade cricket in Adelaide. Andre can you confirm?

Their other brother Danny hasn't for a NSW 1st XI AFAIK.

Deja moo

International Captain
Why isnt the ECB even considering Mark Butcher for the squad ?

He recently said that he was still willing to play ODIs .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i dont know why collingwood should be first in line ATM....his form in ODIs has been disastrous for nearly a year now.
His form in ODIs has been disastrous full-stop with the exception of the Zimbabwe tour of 2001, the Bangaldesh tour of 2003 and one period of about 5 or 6 innings that began with a 43* off about 100 balls in the Adelaide Anderson-10-6-12-1 match and ended with a 63* against Pakistan in WC2003.
Other than that, Collingwood's played an occasional good knock, that's it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I dont really see what McGrath has done wrong!

He batted poorly when everyone else did, then got named at number 8 and dint bat. He has bowled quite reasonably for a medium pacer, and has has limited opportunities with the bat.

I dont think he deserves to be in the starting 11 every game, but I think he deserves to be in the 14.

Rikki Clarke is another matter, as is Ian Blackwell.

I think England should go with:

Robert Key
Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan
Andrew Flintoff
Paul Collingwood
Geraint Jones
Ashley Giles
Darren Gough
Stephen Harmison
James Anderson

Anthony McGrath
Sajid Mahmood
Michael Powell / Ian Bell

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Go on then, name the 30 that should have been picked, because you clearly know more than the selectors do.
Not easy, I know, but I'll have a go. I'll put emphasis on picking the best 30 one-day cricketers in the country who are available for ODIs, not, as the selectors have clearly done, simply pick those who are obviously going to be in the final squad plus a stack of token players they want to know are in their thoughts, mainly for Test-matches.
So, here we go:
Firstly, I don't believe him to be amongst the 30 best one-day cricketers in the country, but Michael Vaughan has already been stated as captain, so he has to be in the squad.
Formalities: Trescothick (long-term ODI average, nuff said), Flintoff (nothing really needs to be stated, we all know the facts), Anderson (ODI bowling average under 25, nuff said), Harmison (ER 4.06, av under 27 in last tourno), Gough (ER 4.05 in last tourno), Collingwood (no matter what the reasons, his ODI average is still over 30), Strauss (ODI average of 47, for whatever reasons), McGrath (the number of consecutive small squads he's been in recently, he simply has to be in a squad this big ), Giles (England always pick him, no matter what), Jones (Geirant, who kept wicket and batted not abysmally in his recent ODI debut-tourno), Read (you need two wicketkeepers in a squad of 30 and no-one can possibly deny Read his place as second-in-line as far as ODIs are concerned).
So, 12 formalities, that leaves 18 others, but that's not possible without streaching the bounds of ludicrous selections (of which there have been many in the actual squad), so I'm going for 13 others.
Mark Ealham, Alan Mullally, Robin Martin-Jenkins, Dimitri Mascarenhas, Neil Killeen, Ian Bell, Richard Johnson (find it difficult to believe he's not been picked, given his ODI record, even if it is rather fortunate given his domestic one), Usman Afzaal, Matthew Maynard, Malachy Loye, Graeme Welch, Charles Dagnall, Glen Chapple.
My criteria, basically: any bowler with a career economy-rate over 4.5-an-over cannot possibly be considered barring exceptional circumstances; any batsman with a career average below 30 cannot possibly be considered, barring exceptional circumstances. Anyone with a seasonal economy-rate over 4.5 cannot really be considered, nor a seasonal average below 30 (Afzaal and Bell are clearly exceptions here); where long-term evidence is not great, short-term has to be taken account of (as in the cases of Welch and Chapple); and domestic success, international failure (Maynard) is better than domestic failure.
Basically, that leaves the squad very light on batting and there are lots of players who everyone would like to brand "bits-and-pieces players". Most (Ealham, Martin-Jenkins, Mascarenhas, Welch, Chapple) are top-class bowlers (whether proven or not) who also happen to bat a bit.
To conclude, basically, to force everyone to name a squad of 30 players, which I presume ICC have done, is a ludicrous and wholly pointless gesture which I hope they soon cease. 20 would be more than enough in future. 25 has been difficult enough.

chris.hinton

International Captain
My 30 man squad would be this

the 16 who had been ivolved in the Nat west Series

Bell,Solanki,Batty, Wharf, Read, S Jones, Lawson, J Brown, Ealham, Hick, G Swann, Tremblett, Kabir Ali, Mascaranuis

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Not easy, I know, but I'll have a go. I'll put emphasis on picking the best 30 one-day cricketers in the country who are available for ODIs, not, as the selectors have clearly done, simply pick those who are obviously going to be in the final squad plus a stack of token players they want to know are in their thoughts, mainly for Test-matches.
So, here we go:
Firstly, I don't believe him to be amongst the 30 best one-day cricketers in the country, but Michael Vaughan has already been stated as captain, so he has to be in the squad.
Formalities: Trescothick (long-term ODI average, nuff said), Flintoff (nothing really needs to be stated, we all know the facts), Anderson (ODI bowling average under 25, nuff said), Harmison (ER 4.06, av under 27 in last tourno), Gough (ER 4.05 in last tourno), Collingwood (no matter what the reasons, his ODI average is still over 30), Strauss (ODI average of 47, for whatever reasons), McGrath (the number of consecutive small squads he's been in recently, he simply has to be in a squad this big ), Giles (England always pick him, no matter what), Jones (Geirant, who kept wicket and batted not abysmally in his recent ODI debut-tourno), Read (you need two wicketkeepers in a squad of 30 and no-one can possibly deny Read his place as second-in-line as far as ODIs are concerned).
So, 12 formalities, that leaves 18 others, but that's not possible without streaching the bounds of ludicrous selections (of which there have been many in the actual squad), so I'm going for 13 others.
Mark Ealham, Alan Mullally, Robin Martin-Jenkins, Dimitri Mascarenhas, Neil Killeen, Ian Bell, Richard Johnson (find it difficult to believe he's not been picked, given his ODI record, even if it is rather fortunate given his domestic one), Usman Afzaal, Matthew Maynard, Malachy Loye, Graeme Welch, Charles Dagnall, Glen Chapple.
My criteria, basically: any bowler with a career economy-rate over 4.5-an-over cannot possibly be considered barring exceptional circumstances; any batsman with a career average below 30 cannot possibly be considered, barring exceptional circumstances. Anyone with a seasonal economy-rate over 4.5 cannot really be considered, nor a seasonal average below 30 (Afzaal and Bell are clearly exceptions here); where long-term evidence is not great, short-term has to be taken account of (as in the cases of Welch and Chapple); and domestic success, international failure (Maynard) is better than domestic failure.
Basically, that leaves the squad very light on batting and there are lots of players who everyone would like to brand "bits-and-pieces players". Most (Ealham, Martin-Jenkins, Mascarenhas, Welch, Chapple) are top-class bowlers (whether proven or not) who also happen to bat a bit.
To conclude, basically, to force everyone to name a squad of 30 players, which I presume ICC have done, is a ludicrous and wholly pointless gesture which I hope they soon cease. 20 would be more than enough in future. 25 has been difficult enough.
How can you not pick Kirtley?

Youve gone mad!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Three reasons:
91.3 4 481 9 53.44 2-33 0 0 61.0 5.25 (Kirtley's ODI record)
1141 87 5244 219 23.94 5-33 8 3 31.2 4.59 (Kirtley's overall one-day record)
And above all: 50 2 326 3 108.66 1-50 0 0 100.0 6.52 (Kirtley in the National League this season)
The madness comes from those who muddle the two forms of the game and do not realise that, good as Kirtley is in the First-Class game, his one-day record is appalling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And above all: 50 2 326 3 108.66 1-50 0 0 100.0 6.52 (Kirtley in the National League this season)

I had no idea it was that bad!

I take it all back.

I knew his economy rates in one day cricket were high overall, but he has always been a regular wicket taker, in one day cricket and FC cricket.

But in light of thsi new information, he shouldnt get anywhere near the ODI side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Most (Ealham, Martin-Jenkins, Mascarenhas, Welch, Chapple) are top-class bowlers (whether proven or not) who also happen to bat a bit.

ROFLMAO.

You've excelled yourself here.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
1141 87 5244 219 23.94 5-33 8 3 31.2 4.59 (Kirtley's overall one-day record)

The madness comes from those who muddle the two forms of the game and do not realise that, good as Kirtley is in the First-Class game, his one-day record is appalling.

Oh I agree, that overall record is appalling.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Oh I agree, that overall record is appalling.
LOL.

It isn't bad at all, as Richard is trying to say, but it isn't brilliant at all - look at the economy rate, that may be what he's basing his decision on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Everyone know's they're useless bowlers as well Liam, it's only eco that counts because a team not losing wickets will only score at 4.2 an over if all 5 bowlers have eco of 4.2.