• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Twenty20

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously it is still a year away, but the first international Twenty20 match will be played between England and Australia next year. If this match is a success, it is likely that Twenty20 matches become regular international fixtures.
Who do you expect would make various national squads? World XI's?
Your thoughts.

Sudeep

International Captain
Afridi would have a chance for a comeback, wouldn't he?

But in all seriousness, I'm not against International Twenty20, but it shouldn't replace 50-overs cricket completely.

As I said in some other thread, 2-3 weeks of Twenty20 cricket per year maximum; more than that, and it would be overdose.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Sudeep said:

But in all seriousness, I'm not against International Twenty20, but it shouldn't replace 50-overs cricket completely.

As I said in some other thread, 2-3 weeks of Twenty20 cricket per year maximum; more than that, and it would be overdose.
Yes, I would be surprised in teams picked players specifically for Twenty20. More than likely they will just pick players from the existing Test and ODI squads.

Sudeep

International Captain
Here's the ideal World Twenty20 XI IMO:

Virendar Sehwag
Chris Gayle
Sachin Tendulkar
Scott Styris
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (w/k)
Lance Kulsener
Shaun Pollock (c)
Anil Kumble
Chaminda Vaas
Glenn McGrath

EDIT: I just realized something, everyone in that XI can bowl. :wacko:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Sudeep said:

Virendar Sehwag
Chris Gayle
Sachin Tendulkar
Scott Styris
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (w/k)
Lance Kulsener
Shaun Pollock (c)
Anil Kumble
Chaminda Vaas
Glenn McGrath

I more or less agree, except that I would put Symonds in for Styris.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Sudeep said:

Virendar Sehwag
Chris Gayle
Sachin Tendulkar
Scott Styris
Andrew Flintoff
Adam Gilchrist (w/k)
Lance Kulsener
Shaun Pollock (c)
Anil Kumble
Chaminda Vaas
Glenn McGrath

Fairly good I would swap Symonds for Klusener. Symonds has a 96 of 37 balls and 112 off 43 in 20-20 matches and has been one of the best players.

Ponting would also be better than Tendulkar at this stage of there carears IMO. Latley Ponting has been hitting the ball as hard as anyone and as long as anyone when he wants to as well.

Eclipse

International Debutant
The most aggresive players would not necicarily be the best ether because everyone has to swing the bat.

Anyone who strikes the ball well in normal cricket all be it less often than guys who are slightly more aggresive would be just as good. Ponting and Kallis are not all out aggression but very few players can hit the ball as hard or long when they do feel the need.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sudeep said:

He's not really done it for Kent, but he's the sort of player who would be persevered with for 100 games, make one big score and be deemed a success.

masterblaster

International Captain
a World XI 20/20 side of mine:

Virender Sehwag
Adam Gilchrist (w/k)
Ricky Ponting (Captain)
Sachin Tendulkar
Chris Gayle
Yuvraj Singh
Andrew Flintoff
Chris Cairns
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble
Glenn McGrath (to produce the most economical figures)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think international 20-over cricket is absolutely stupid. We have been lucky enough that the Twenty20 Cup has been extraordinarily well received in the domestic game, a situation unthinkable in any other form of cricket in this country. The last thing we need to do is take the gloss off it by creating international alternatives. We've already heard the pleas from those who think about it to use 20-over cricket well and not risk overdoing it.
And is it exactly like 50-over cricket is not drawing the crowds anywhere in The World? No. Rarely is a ODI anything but a sell-out or all-but. And is it not as if the schedule is not crowded enough already?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think international 20/20 would be very interesting spectacle, though - although I can see where you're coming from, it would make the schedule even more packed - as if it wasn't packed enough already.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure it would be an interesting spectacle - but it would add nothing that is not present already and would be a very big risk indeed of damaging an asset.

Langeveldt

Soutie
My stab at a World XI

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. Lance Klusener
7. Andrew Hall (top performer in SA's pro 20)
8. Mark Boucher (wk)
9. Chris Cairns
10. Anil Kumble
11. Glenn McGrath

Craig

World Traveller
Not bad having Chris Cairns at 9.

The one thing I have noticed is that everybody can bowl, and do it to a fair degree if needed to bowl.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Not bad having Chris Cairns at 9.

The one thing I have noticed is that everybody can bowl, and do it to a fair degree if needed to bowl.
On second thoughts, could have swapped Cairns and Hall... But tbh they can all bat and bowl (bar McGrath and Gibbs).. So its a pretty versatile XI