• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe - Quits One Dayers

Rich2001

International Captain
England batsman Graham Thorpe has announced his retirement from one-day international cricket. Thorpe, who missed the last four games of the NatWest Series, made the announcement shortly after England's narrow defeat by India in today's final.

Thorpe, says he wishes to concentrate on Test cricket, and spend more time with his young children.

Thorpe has played in 82 one-day internationals, scoring 2380 runs at an average of 37, with a strike rate of 71 runs per 100 balls.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I have always thought that he is a great test batter but has never done to much special in the One day game. He will be missed alot though for his experence.

Now England are gonna be a laughing stock in WC, i mean with India doing so well, it will be India,Aus and probably Pak going in the super six leaving Eng going back to home!!!!

Bye bye Nasir :rolleyes:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If you hadn't noticed, which you probably hadn't given the content in your posts so far - which is actually worse than that of Reuben's posts - Thorpe has hardly contributed in ODIs of late. It's a great chance for someone like Ian Bell to come in and establish himself.

And as for India being good, I thought the UK media was bad with Liverpool. One Series win, after nine final defeats and suddenly India are brilliant... :I

LOL, Thorpe may not have contributed lately but he was a class player which Eng is gonna miss in the cup.
Gough went for tons inthis series, does it mean that he is not good?

Let Bell prove himself first!

This is a DIFFERENT Indian team that we are talking about.Guys like Kaif/Yuvraj that have been performing well in every match(nearly) weren't part of the team that lost those nine final.Nor was Mongia and Ashish in the team then!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think england need some new blood in the team before the world cup.(and what better time than now)

As for India. Why are they suddenly so good after 1 or 2 wins. They have a couple of players on form holding the whole team up.. They can't rely on these guys every game. And in the ICC Knockout they need to win pool games before they can win the final.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well said Tamara, and as for Gough, which of the fast bowlers hasn't been hit for loads this series? The wickets have been fantastic to bat on and Gough has outperformed the other seamers. Thorpe, on the other hand, hasn't led the English batting. Your comparison holds no water.

And as for Bell, he has a One Day County Average of 42.28 and First Class Average of 41.56 at the age of 20. Along with three Denis Compton Awards in a row. Proof enough of his talent for me.

[Edited on 7/13/02 by Neil Pickup]

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
They are really good averages for any player.. This guy is only 20. He can only get better if he is exposed to some top class cricket. And what better way to do that than to play for your country and replace a top player like Thorpe who he probably looked up to as a hero a couple of years ago.

INTERNATIONAL CRIC IS A DIFF BALL GAME, ALSO U NEED EXPERIANCE IN A TOURNAMENT LIKE WC, THAT BELL WON'T BE ABLE TO DO MUCH!

THORPE RETIREMENT MEANS ENG TEAM IN A MESS,THEY HAVE NO CHANCE OF QUALIFYING FOR THE SUPERSIX, AN EARLY FLIGHT HOME WOULD IS A CERTAINTY.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I don't agree with that. If he is a good player he should be able to play well under pressure. Sure international cricket is different but they have to start somewhere. The world cup is still a wee while away so bring him in now and give him a chance to settle into the team. Thorpe hasn't been doing great so why should the team be in a mess.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
cheer thanks for all the support Neil :P

but i have to agree with anthony in post content he beats me there

Graham Thorpe is a good player , i have always thought he did well in O.D.I's he scores runs for the england side , but its a good thing the younger ppl get more chances now , it wont make a big difference he is still there for tests , thats were england needs him most

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
ODI stats on Graham Thorpe:
Average- 37.18
Strike Rate- 71
50's- 21
100's- 0
Highest Score- 89

I think the average is quite good but looks like he can't convert the 50s into higher scores. There is nothing great

YEH DARKNESS KYA BAKTA HAI??

TAMARA
"I don't agree with that. If he is a good player he should be able to play well under pressure"

WELL BUDY I CAN NAME U A DOZEN INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS WHO COKES UNDER PRESSURE,AND THEY ARE ALL SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD!!!
WC IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER MATE, THIS BELL WILL GET AT MOST 5-6 ONEDAYERS BEFORE THAT, WHAT MAKES U THINK HE WILL BE SUCH A SUCCESS IN WC???
NO MATE, THORPE WILL BE BADLY MISSED, AND I DON'T SEE HOW ENG WILL GO PAST SUPER SIX.

INDIA WILL WIN THE CUP, ..'83-----03 WILL BE THE SAME STORY.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yea there are lots of players that do not go well under pressure but some players love it and the best comes out of them when they are in these situation.

The problem for England is they can't just say to Thorpe that we need u because he won't come running back.

Who should go in there instead? I don't think Ian should have to do alot more to get a go in that team and age shouldn't be considered if he is a good player and his stats tell us he is.

THOSE STATS ARE FROM COUNTY MATCHES, THEY DON'T COUNT ATALL.

HOW MANY PLAYERS HAVE DONE WELL IN DOMESTIC CRIC BUT FLOPPED IN INTERNATIONAL MATCHES.I DON'T NEED TO GIVE U THE DETAILS.

AGAIN, HE MIGHT BE A GOOD FIND, BUT DON'T EXPECT MUCH FROM HIM IN THE WC, IT WOULD BE UNFAIR TO THE PLAYER HIMSELF!

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Who else is going to replece Thorpe then 'greatindia'?
No-one will ever know how good he is in international matches until he plays. If u asked him if he wanted to play in the world cup do u really think he would say no?

Playing international cricket isn't meant to be fair. If he is the best person for the job, why should he not be there?

I NEVER SAID NOT TO PICK HIM UP, JUST SAID NOT TO PIN MUCH HOPE, HAVE SEEN WAHT HAPPENS WHEN UNDUE PRESSURE IS PLACED ON CRIC.GIVE HIM TIME, HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO ESTABLISH HIMSELF BUT WILL TAKE SOME TIME.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The problem with England is that they never adapted well to the revolutionized form of one day cricket that Sri Lanka introduced in the 1996 world cup.England never really came into their own after that, as their stiff neck attitude never let them go for the fifteen over massacres that other teams did.Their self styled pundits thought that it was not cricket.Only Trescothick is from that genre of batsman who can destroy a bowling side in the first fifteen overs.But it may be a little too late as the world is starting to create a good mix between the pinch hitting of the first fifteen overs with solid middle order consolidation.But again with a strokeless wonder like Nasser Hussain lording over the English middle order, its gonna be tough.As for Thorpe, I think he never was any good in one day cricket but then none of the English batsman are, except Trescothick.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
England have alot of work to do if they want to be in the top few teams in the world. I can't see anything happening by this world cup but they should be starting to think to the future. By not having Thorpe in the team will mean a lot lease experence in the team but also opportunities for guys like Ian Bell. They have to make these steps now if they ever want to be a force again. I wouldn't call them 'a load of bull though'