• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graham Thorpe - Quits One Dayers

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Englands team is not a load of bull for crying out loud ... thing about it before u talk !

Even though me having indian origins doesnt make me walk around talking dissing ppl

If it didnt rain in that test match in India eng would have won the series and england drew the o.d.is In India

Thorpe is a really good player , watch him then talk

Why do u guys think before u talk? WE are talking about onedayers.Eng have a good tests team, Thorpe is an excellent batter, so is Butcher and others BUT in onedayers they suxs!!

This is not an insult, that is a truth.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
This seems to be going no-where.
To play international cricket u have to be good. And England aren't consistant but u look at that team and they are having a low patch. They certainly do NOT 'sux'

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
Bad thing for England is that they play very few one dayers before the WC. Just about 10 -12 whilst the rest of the teams have about 20-30 on their platter . Im afraid they are in the danger of being ill prepared. Thorpe could have made difference with his experience . Honestly , i think he should taken the one day reins over from Hussain. But now that he's retired himself , England have lost a valuable commodity . Surely yesterdays defeat will leave them heartbroken but as compared to last year a lot of positives have come up and they need to focus on that . Irani is a revelation and so is Freddie . They have good material. Need for some fine-tuning.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England's team is a load of bull!!
And India, who beat them with three balls left, are the best team in the world? Some people quite are quite clearly struggling to engage their brains before posting. Three balls/Two wickets do not separate dire teams from great teams. Both teams are middle-of-the-road ODI sides, who will more than likely come 3rd or 4th in the World Cup group.

Rich2001

International Captain
ODI stats on Graham Thorpe:
Average- 37.18
Strike Rate- 71
50's- 21
100's- 0
Highest Score- 89

I think the average is quite good but looks like he can't convert the 50s into higher scores. There is nothing great
Not saying your wrong but in defence of Thorpe he never was a big hitter, he would always come in around the middle of innings and his stlye of play was to keep the score ticking over and take quick singles etc, whlie the likes of Trescothick, Knight, Flintoff and co played the quick innings and increased the scoring rates.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He is one of the best Test batsmen. However, someone who's never made an ODI ton cannot be classed as that great. We won't miss him that much.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think that Thorpe's failure to convert any of his 21 50's in ODI's into centuries has any significance whatsoever.
Just ask Mark Twain (or Benjamin Disraeli).
He never opened, batted high as No 3 just twice, and often went in as low as No 6.
I don't know if anyone has ever worked out the number of centuries in ODI's by batting position, but I would guess that less than 20% of them have been by anyone batting as low as No 5. Volunteers, anyone?
I have emailed StatsGuru, but I doubt we will hear anything for a while.

[Edited on 7/14/02 by luckyeddie]

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yup i reckon he is like Laxman ? A fine classy player , when u need him he contributes and he scores nicely at times and does contribute to the game

Im sure there will be some youngster to replace him , but he can concentratte to get better at tests now

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Honestly , i think he should taken the one day reins over from Hussain. But now that he's retired himself , England have lost a valuable commodity .
I rate Hussain as the greatest captain in the world at the moment and if he wasn't captain England would be even worse.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I don't think Hussain is THE best captain in the world right now. I really rate Fleming, not cos I'm a kiwi either. He is the cleverest captain. He does well with what he's got, out thinks his opponents well.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree, Sunil. Fleming is very shrewd.

What impressed me with Hussain on Saturday was the way he managed to rein India back in when they were running away with it in the first 15 overs. He had just had to go off injured for a while and Trescothick took over as skipper for a while. All hell broke loose with lots of the filthy slogging and the fours and the sixes (burhey!).

Hussain came back on and within about 4 overs (and as many bowling changes) got things more-or-less on track again. It didn't affect the overall result - but by crikey it nearly did! He went up in my estimation about 2 notches.

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
I rate Hussain as the greatest captain in the world at the moment and if he wasn't captain England would be even worse.
If u notice rightly , i was talking about the one day game and not the test game. Now i know Hussain is a very good tactician but really the one day game is hardly a tacticians delight. Any blind Freddie with a half decent cricketing brain can captain a one day team. Hence i feel that Thorpe with all his experience could have easily captained the side and besides he could have made more useful contibutions with the bat than Hussain .

I think India played into Hussain's hands after the 15 over mark with some really atrocious strokeplay. Had india lost , Ganguly & Sehwag would have recd. national condemnation. Hussain excelled in his peristence with Giles despite his poor record against the likes of Tendulkar. But then , he looked totally lost when Kaif & Yuvy were on the rampage. Tried his best with a few bowling changes but then the pitch and the Indian batsmen let him down. Hard luck really. Nothing to be ashamed of ! England did put up a spiirited fight.

Btw , does anyone think that Hussain's reaction after he recorded his ton was very un-cricketer like ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
As one who thinks that The Fourth Estate often takes on the self-appointed role of judge, jury and executioner, I say 'well done Nasser'. A couple of quick gestures and job done, end of story.
If one picture is worth ten thousand words, I am sure there are a couple of million buzzing around Fleet Street at the moment.

And no, it wasn't cricket.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Well if you are talking about just ODI teams then maybe we can talk but a plain "greatest
captain" trophy is way too much for Hussain's abilities.That honour still lies with Steve Waugh...no question about it.

[Edited on 7/15/02 by aussie_beater]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was a little un-cricketerlike, but then again so was Freddie's in the 6th ODI in India in winter...
But isn't it good to see these people showing such passion for the game?

As for Waugh being a great captain - a blind man with 1 arm could captain the current Aussie side to success!
Hussain is a thinking captain, and look how often his plans work. The last 2 Test's spring to mind of examples of that.