• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An experiment (part 2)

Deja moo

International Captain
So far , Gayle , Tendulkar , Kallis , Flintoff , Pollock ,Murali have mede every team .

Keepers battle is between Boucher and Sangakkarra and Dravid .

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
sangakkara is a real waste at no 8....its no good having strokemakers batting that low down the order especially with the quality of batting from 1-7
TEC, put on your reading glasses:
Marc71178 said:
I ask people only post their ROW XI's in this thread and leave discussion to other places.
It might be an idea for you to post a team rather than criticising everyone else's.

tooextracool

International Coach
tendulkar
fleming(c)
kallis
sarwan
rhodes(if fit and available)/yuvraj
flintoff
klusener
pollock
boucher(w/k)
akhtar
murali

Mingster

State Regular
tooextracool said:
i would have gone for either read or boucher largely because both of them are better batsmen towards the end of an innings and are good keepers too.
I guess you haven't seen McCullum bat then. I would take McCullum as a "better batsmen towards the end of an innings" than Read anyday of the week. McCullum's running between the wickets, and his shot-making is quite brilliant.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
No one's picked Andy Flower? It's in keeping with the tradition of ROW teams, eg; South Africans playing in world series cricket. The ROW team is the exile's only oppurtunity, and Flower's as classy as they come.

S Fleming (c)
V Sehwag
S Tendulkar
R Sarwan
A Flower (wk)
A Flintoff
H Streak
S Pollock
S Bond
S Akhtar
D Vettori

Bench: Razzaq, Jayasuria, Maybe Harmison/Murali if he's willing.

Couple of pre-emptive explanations. Vettori is there to tie the runs up, the games will be played in Aus, and no ODI spinner has really succeeded against Aus at home, but Vettori really seems to frustrate their scoring rate. Bond, probably won't be fit, but absolutely destroyed Australia on their own terms more than twice. Sarwan, may struggle against OZ, but impresses me the most of the West Indians currently in ODI's. Streak has arguably been the most consistent all-rounder in the world the last couple of years, and deserves another taste of international cricket. Akhtar, like Bond, is one of the few pacemen who can do damage against Australia. Tendulkar and Sehwag, in the context, are the best Indian batting options, in my opinion. Pollock, ideally the Pollock of a couple of years ago, but still an incredible talent. Flintoff, unproven against OZ, but he's the pick of the poms right now, and on his last two matches alone I found it impossible to exclude him. Fleming has opened superbly for NZ, and he's the best choice for opposing skipper, I reckon. Razzaq, I know he was unpopular in the other ROW thread, but innings like his 90-odd against NZ made me believe this man could fly under his own power if he really wanted to, I just wish his bowling was as good as it could be. Jayasuria, can turn it on in Australia, simple as that.

Don't want the bench to be too crowded, that's cheating, but I'd love to include Klusener, but he's in his twilight i believe. Dravid, but I still don't think he's a valid ODI option (yes, i saw that 50 against NZ, still). Lara, if it was against any other team, and he's old enough to have been in his share of ROW teams. Guys like Pietersen, or some aussies even, who are stars in FC cricket, but have been as yet unable to play internationally. Hell, lots of others, but I stick by my selection.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Mingster said:
I guess you haven't seen McCullum bat then. I would take McCullum as a "better batsmen towards the end of an innings" than Read anyday of the week. McCullum's running between the wickets, and his shot-making is quite brilliant.
you seem to keep missing the point....mccullum is a very average wicket keeper and far behind the likes of taibu,boucher and read

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
kwigibo said:
No one's picked Andy Flower? It's in keeping with the tradition of ROW teams, eg; South Africans playing in world series cricket. The ROW team is the exile's only oppurtunity, and Flower's as classy as they come.
Andy Flower retired from international cricket before he could be 'exiled'.

Note: Correction, not discussion.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
you seem to keep missing the point....mccullum is a very average wicket keeper and far behind the likes of taibu,boucher and read
Discuss elsewhere!!!!!

Simon

my team
1 Sachin Tendulkar (c)
2 Chris Gayle
3 Brian Lara
4 Inzamam Ul Haq
5 Jaques Kallis
6 Abdul Razzaq
7 Andrew Flintoff
8 Mark Boucher (wk)
9 Shaun Pollock
10 Shoaib Ahktar
11 Muttaih Muralitharan

ReallyCrazy

Banned
1. Virender Sehwag
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Brian Lara
4. Sourav Ganguly (c)
5. Rahul Dravid (wk)
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Yuvraj Singh
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Chaminda Vaas
10. Shoaib Akhtar
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

(I really really wanted to pick Bond coz he was so devastating the last time i saw him but i dont know how good he will be now so I resisted)

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
1. Gayle
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Brian Lara
4. Kallis
5. Rahul Dravid (wk)
6. Flintoff
8. Cairns
9. Pollock
10.Akthar
11.Murali

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gayle
Ganguly
Kallis
Tendulkar
Lara
Dravid (wk)
Flintoff
Pollock
Vaas
Shoaib Akhtar
Muralitharan

Langeveldt

Soutie
1. Chris Gayle
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Rahul Dravid (wk)
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Chris Cairns
8. Lance Klusener
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Anil Kumble
11. Makhaya Ntini

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
S Tendulkar
V Sehwag
S Ganguly*
B Lara
R Dravid+
Y Singh
A Flintoff
S Pollock
C Vaas
M Ntini
M Muralitharan

Last edited:

delkap

State Vice-Captain
I'll stick to my original team here:

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Kallis
Lara
Ganguly (c)
Dravid (wk)
Flintoff
Pollock
Bond
Harmison
Muralitharan

12th Man: Vaas
13th Man: Yuvraj Singh

Dravid is doing an acceptable job atm with wk, so why not 3 more matches.. Esp since he is the 2nd best ODI wk batsman after Gilchrist. And with batting like this, it wont matter if he is responsible for 10 odd byes. He does seem to take all the catches which is more important.

Ganguly makes the team over Fleming/Yuvraj just because he is a brilliant ODI player and a fairly good captain. Fleming would be a better captain, but then i dont believe him to be as good as Ganguly in ODI's as batsman (recent form excluded)

Mr Mxyzptlk

1. Chris Gayle
2. Sachin Tendulkar (C)
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Inzamam-ul-Haq
5. Rahul Dravid (wk)
6. Ramnaresh Sarwan
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Jacob Oram
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Shoaib Akhtar
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Murali reserve: Chaminda Vaas

I can't believe that anyone can leave out Chris Gayle, let alone to take Sehwag instead. Gayle is the no. 1 allrounder in the world and one of the top ODI batsmen as well. Stat Focus: CH Gayle

I don't see any room for Lara, as Inzamam has been sublime of late. Ramnaresh Sarwan's record speaks for his inclusion ahead of Yuvraj Singh. Jacob Oram is a very useful player to have there. He's steady with ball and bat.

Loony BoB

International Captain
1. Graeme Smith
2. Chris Gayle
3. Stephen Fleming *
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Ramnaresh Sarwan
6. VVS Laxman
7. Kumar Sangakarra +
8. Andrew Flintoff
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Shane Bond