• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Asia Cup 2004 Thread

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
not sure how many of you live in the states, but it sure as hell is nice to watch a series of cricket live without lossing lots of $$$ from ya pockets!
thank god for ARY! i called them up and the guy i spoke to has no idea which match they would be telecasting the pak game or SL game!

Craig

World Traveller
Arjun said:
Suggested Lankan team (a Cricketweb poster can do better than those seven fools!)-

BATSMEN:
Marvan
Sangakkara
Jayantha
Vandort
Chamara Silva

BATTING ALL-ROUNDERS:
Sanath
Gayan Wijekoon

WICKETKEEPER:
Prasanna

BOWLING ALL-ROUNDERS:
Maharoof/Mirando
Nimesh Perera

BOWLERS:
Vaas
Muralitharan
Dilhara
Herath
Malinga
Wouldn't Sangakkara 'keep though?

In Tests he is probably better off not keeping if they want to bat him at 3, and at 5 or 6 if he wants to keep.

In ODIs I would have him as keeper.

V Reddy

International Debutant
biased indian said:
u r taking all this information based on ranji trophy
he didnt impress me in the matches he played
He did impress me against Zim in Australia with the seam movement he got there. I had the same impression as MB has on him. But i think he is a much improved bowler now and gets that great shape on the ball. He was the best bowler in display of all the three teams in Kenstar Series. Have to wait and see how his career goes.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Well Bob Woolmer got the first taste of what he should expect with Inzi and Shoaib arguing in the dressing room

V Reddy

International Debutant
Has any Indian here tried out Dish TV of Zee which is now offering more that 100 channels [including Eurosport news] ? Star and ESPN are still blacked out in Hyderabad due to that battle between Cable Operators and those channels. DTH would be great with no middlemen. I'm just waiting for Prasar Bharti and Star to enter into the business which may result in the prices coming down.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
V Reddy said:
Well Bob Woolmer got the first taste of what he should expect with Inzi and Shoaib arguing in the dressing room
Woolmer said on his website it was a misunderstanding between the two and they are still friends.Here is a picture from yesterdays training to show this

Attachments

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't Sangakkara 'keep though?

In Tests he is probably better off not keeping if they want to bat him at 3, and at 5 or 6 if he wants to keep.

In ODIs I would have him as keeper.
Sangakkara is no good at glovework. Anyone who gives Gilchrist and Symonds extra lives does not deserve to take the gloves. He could have stumped Gilchrist, but his gloves were 2 inches over the stumps! Besides, the Lankans can play 6 batsmen, and with Sanath or Wijekoon bowling, there is much better balance. Vaas, Maharoof, Mirando and Nimesh/Lokuarachchi can bat, so a batting lineup to 7, 8 or even 9 is possible.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
imranrabb said:
Woolmer said on his website it was a misunderstanding between the two and they are still friends.Here is a picture from yesterdays training to show this
Except how do we know the text that Shoaib is sending is friendly?

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
V Reddy said:
Has any Indian here tried out Dish TV of Zee which is now offering more that 100 channels [including Eurosport news] ? Star and ESPN are still blacked out in Hyderabad due to that battle between Cable Operators and those channels. DTH would be great with no middlemen. I'm just waiting for Prasar Bharti and Star to enter into the business which may result in the prices coming down.

Well, I'm going to wait until people have actually started buying it. Once I develeop faith in the system, considering the manner in which CAS was handled, I'll definitely but it.

Here in (most parts of) Mumbai, we get both Star and ESPN. Although this wasn't the case with parts of the Aus-Ind Test series, and same with Ten Sports and Ind-Pak

Craig

World Traveller
V Reddy said:
Well if I was in charge I would tell them to get along and play in the team or tell them to get the hell out of the side until their attitude improves.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
Well if I was in charge I would tell them to get along and play in the team or tell them to get the hell out of the side until their attitude improves.

So you'd kick out the two best players Pakistan has ?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Players to watch out for:
BATSMEN:
  • Sachin Tendulkar:Much as critics say that he has become defensive, he may actually come up with a spellbinding innings. Rated one of the best batsmen in world cricket for a reason.
  • [/b]Virendra Sehwag[/b]:For obvious reasons. A crowd puller, when he gets going, though he takes a risk too many. One of the teams he'll face are no great fielding side, so he can get more than a few runs against them. Can also bowl very good off-spin.
  • VVS Laxman:Looking to improve his strike rate, he will have a big role to play. He is in good form in ODI's, with as many as 5 ODI centuries since he was dropped from the World Cup. For some strage reason. He can also contribute on the field, the sign of a good learner.
  • Rahul Dravid:The new Rahul Dravid is different from the old one, who would block to save his wicket rather than score runs to win the match. In good form, or backed by a lot of runs, he can explode with a knockout innings.
  • Yuvraj Singh: Ganguly chose him as a Test opener for his aggression, so he may return the favour by some hard hitting batting. A few sixes from his blade can make a mark, as much as his match-winning fielding.
  • Sanath Jayasuriya: The old Lankan warhorse cannout be counted out. Successful for years as a hard-hitting opener, the sixes over point cannot be ruled out. He is also a very good left-arm spinner, having started his career as one.
  • Saman Jayantha: In good form in England, he is the new ODI opener. Like a true SL opener of the past, he always looks to attack and takes a lot of risks. A Sanath/Saman partnership can be quite dangerous for a bowling side.
  • Kumar Sangakkara:Another attacking batsman, he enjoys the ball coming on his bat at a good pace. Can paly a long innings when needed. May play as a keeper, but if he does, a fifth bowler is necessary, since his keeping is full of flaws.
  • Inzamam-ul-haq: His captaincy under pressure, as it always is, he is a vital batsman in the side. Even if other bats fail, he gets the runs.
  • Yusuf Youhana: Another proven success, but very inconsistent.
  • Abdul Razzaq: Capable of turning a match on its head, his hard hitting is a danger for a bowling side. He can also bowl a few good overs to support the main bowlers.
BOWLERS:
  • Muttiah Muralitharan: A world record holder, with a very good strike rate and economy, he can win matches and tournaments for his team. He just needs support.
  • Irfan Pathan: Capable of swinging the ball on his own, he is quite useful in the opening overs and can bowl a good 7 over spell. He needs to improve his final over bowling. Also a handy lower order batsman who needs a promotion- his coach knows he is a capable number 6, though 7/8 is enough.
  • Chaminda Vaas: Another record holder, though he needs some good performances against good batting sides. One of the more effective opening bowlers of today.
  • Shoaib Akhtar: Pace does matter. When used well. Which is how Shoaib maintains a healthy average and can take a lot of wickets in a match. A little too temperamental, though.
  • Mohammed Sami: Much as he is the subject of jokes here, he can take quick wickets that can change a match- his hat-trick against the West Indians is proof. Another talented batsman, for a bowler.
  • Harbhajan Singh: Coming back from injury, a good performance is expected. He has the upper hand over teams like Pakistan, who have their problems against spin. Can also score runs- Maninder Singh says he is the most talented batsmen among the Indian bowlers.
  • Anil Kumble: In good form in his last 6 Tests, he can carry it on into ODI's. The best ODI bowler in the Indian team.
  • Dilhara Fernando: Under pressure from Lasith Malinga's performances, he is still the best ODI fast bowler in the SL team after Vaas. He has the extra pace that can cause a flutter in batting sides.

bhajji

Banned
hey there is no doubt who's gonna win guys-india;we're just the bestttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt......hahaha

ReallyCrazy

Banned
good list there Arjun....but i agree with V reddy. Something tells me that Balaji is gonna have a great series and take loads of wickets.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
V Reddy said:
No Balaji , Arjun? :@
He's not that great. His bowling average in ODI's is quite bad. Besides, he goes for a lot of runs in the initial overs. His final overs bowling is not so bad. He has been more successful in India than outside because he bowls short to get good effect from slow Indian wickets, but elsewhere, it's just a ball coming on the bat at a good pace. Hopefully there will be some improvement, since he can be a very good support bowler. His batting is definitely to watch out for, though he bats very low down the order.