• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Most countries would kill to have the amount of West Indies and all-time cricketing greats just wanting to help out, yet because they won't accreditation because of pride and principal and so there fore they go through their non playing days and not being given the chance to contribute because of red tape.

I am willing to wager that Sir Viv Richards or Gorden Greenidge know more about batting then some of those in the WICB.
True that the past players have contributions to make to the players and the game, but that doesn't mean that they're the best option to coach the team. Players aren't always gifted at coaching and coaches, while they may not be as gifted players, generally know how to coach. I'd much prefer to have a qualified coach than a past player who scored a few centuries for my team, as I feel that the coach would get more out of the team. On a side note, I've heard that Phil Simmons is one of the most certified cricket coaches in the region.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Revelation said:
hold on hold on.....that's EXACTLY what i meant. I didn't mean that the WICB was at fault. You should be in T&T. PM Manning and his cohorts are taking such a licking it's not funny.you know that the entire thing had to be underwritten by the respective gov'ts and T&T's gov't quite simply played politics with the people of T&T nad the WC.
Ok.I see now. 8-)

roseboy64

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
True that the past players have contributions to make to the players and the game, but that doesn't mean that they're the best option to coach the team. Players aren't always gifted at coaching and coaches, while they may not be as gifted players, generally know how to coach. I'd much prefer to have a qualified coach than a past player who scored a few centuries for my team, as I feel that the coach would get more out of the team. On a side note, I've heard that Phil Simmons is one of the most certified cricket coaches in the region.
If that's so then why isn't he coaching?I know Holding's certifieds but he can't help because he's busy commentating.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
Trinidad got the worst package because you didn't bid for any packages.It's because the Queen's Park Oval is such a good ground why you even got any matches.I'm sure the USA would have been higher on the list than you guys if it wasn't for T&T's status in West Indies cricket.Jamaica,Barbados and the other countries said specifically what they wanted and they got it because they looked they serious about it.If it wasn't for the above stated reasons i'm sure Ja's second bid would have been given that spot but that would make it look pretty bad so you were given a "pity spot".
Actually, Trinidad and Tobago were the only country reported to have bid for the package to host the West Indies team. That's all we bid for and if not for the politics involved, we should have gotten it. T&T is the most fitting of countries to host the opening ceremony.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
If that's so then why isn't he coaching?I know Holding's certifieds but he can't help because he's busy commentating.
Phil Simmons coached Trinidad and Tobago for two seasons during which time they should big improvements.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Revelation said:
This after the Queen's Park Oval was deemed the most ready ground in the Caribbean to stage matches.
Where was this stated? I would strongly disagree with that notion. Grenada and St. Lucia have far better cricket grounds.

roseboy64

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Phil Simmons coached Trinidad and Tobago for two seasons during which time they should big improvements.
I mean why isn't he coaching for the West Indies then?

roseboy64

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Actually, Trinidad and Tobago were the only country reported to have bid for the package to host the West Indies team. That's all we bid for and if not for the politics involved, we should have gotten it. T&T is the most fitting of countries to host the opening ceremony.
I heard that T&T made a joint bid and never picked a specific package.

roseboy64

I would think so but then why hasn't he applied if he's the most certified coach.Barbados is still winning the competitions so it would be better to help the entire region.

Mr Mxyzptlk

roseboy64 said:
I would think so but then why hasn't he applied if he's the most certified coach.Barbados is still winning the competitions so it would be better to help the entire region.
People tend to have other interests outside of cricket. Perhaps he's otherwise involved or simply does not want to coach the West Indies team. No slight on him as far as I'm concerned.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
T&T allegedly (using the words of our idiot Sports Minister) used the Yellow package as a 'guide' with a caveat stating that we would take a back seat to any country also willing. Jamaica and Barbados automatically qualified for the Yellow since they both bid for the Black. According to the ICC rules, any country could have been awarded what they bid for or something less. That's how Jca got the Yellow even thought htere was no express bid.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
That's exactly who we're complaining against.Funny eh, the next general election is in 2007 and considering that elections in T&T are very close, (and considering that the present bunch are really not making much of a positive impact) i won't be surprised to see them go in '07.