• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Captain?

neilm

Cricket Spectator
Is it.......

Vaughn
Lara
Inzamam
Fleming
Ponting
Ganguly

Tactiaclly i'd go for Fleming, talent wise it's Lara, for 100% dedication and passion it has to be the man, GANGULY! :D

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Although this may be bias, I must point out Pontings record as captain exceeds all else.

I will not go overboard, i know he is not the best, but he has done even better then Steve Waugh and taken Australia to a WC win. I think he has to be in the top 3.

masterblaster

International Captain
1. Fleming - What he's done with his resources has been amazing

2. Ganguly - Turned a bunch of extremely talented underachievers into world beaters and a fighting unit

3. Ponting - With the powerhouse players he has, still he's done the job and recorded the important victories

4. Graeme Smith - Very young, but very mature minded and done very well

That's my view.

FRAZ

International Captain
It has been discussed so any times that who is good and who is bad as a captain .
IMO
Inzamam is a dumbest captain ever .
Stephen Fleming is very very good .
Ganguly is exceptional because he knows how to handel his average bowling attack and extract 200%performance out of his average attack .
I think future is for Smith .
Over all Wasim's captaincy capabilities are rarely seen in any other captain .

Mingster

State Regular
Bahhhhhhh, this topic is getting boring. Oh well, I never get bored saying Fleming is the best in the world.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
hmmm....well i'll say Fleming for a side that doesn't have any superstars. Hard to say that Ponting or Smith are great captains since they have so much talent and experience on their respective sides. Lara-well he's a great batsman no doubt and he tries to do things but i'm not too sure that he would feature in that list.

gio

U19 Cricketer
There are better than Vaughan, though I think he is a pretty good captain. He attacks at the right moments, senses when its time to defend, and comes up with some innovative fielding positions, most of which have worked. If England keep getting the same result in tests, he'd be right up there. The only problem is the ODI side isn't doing quite so well, and also his batting form has dropped since he became captain. Hopefully these things will sort themselves out in time. He is also a little stubborn at times, taking his mystifying attitude at the top of the innings as an example.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Personaly I think Ganguly is just about the worst possible captain when in the feild but he does make up for it in other ways (his batting and support of his players for example)

But he does not set a very good example as a feilder and his tactics are probably worse than the rest on that list.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Deja moo said:
A poor excuse IMO.

I can understand Indian batsman are not the best on seaming wickets but they are regarded as possibly having the best middle order in the world. IMO they should have done better.

Deja moo

International Captain
Eclipse said:
A poor excuse IMO.

I can understand Indian batsman are not the best on seaming wickets but they are regarded as possibly having the best middle order in the world. IMO they should have done better.

There was only a difference of 20-30 runs between the two teams every innings.....that was good enough to carry NZ through in the 2 tests.

It wasnt as if NZ scored 250 and India crumbled to 90 all out every innings.

The 2-0 scoreline is not an accurate reflection of the cricket played by India.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still maintain that had India stopped complaining about those pitches & actually stuck to their task, they could have easily have won that series 2-0 themselves.

If you look at the scorecards NZ also batted poorly, it was just that NZ took their opportunities & India didn't.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im tired of hearing "Fleming because the NZ team lacks talented players"
I don't think its possible for Fleming to solely lead NZ to their highest rankings of #3 in test matches & #2 in ODI's.
NZ have talented players it's just that they only seem to perform at home, overseas is usually a lottery.
I'll remind you that NZ have not lost an ODI series in NZ for over 2 & 1/2 years.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:
1. Fleming - What he's done with his resources has been amazing

2. Ganguly - Turned a bunch of extremely talented underachievers into world beaters and a fighting unit

3. Ponting - With the powerhouse players he has, still he's done the job and recorded the important victories

4. Graeme Smith - Very young, but very mature minded and done very well

That's my view.
Swap Ponting with Ganguly and that is a good list. Ganguly has just as many powerhouse players as Ponting, as every Indian always manages to point out.

Also tactically Ganguly is not that strong. However I won't say he hasn't done the job.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be surprised if Smith isn't ranked at least #2 in a few years time.
After Fleming dished it out to Smith here recently, Fleming said Steve Waugh did the exact same thing to him when Fleming was new to the scene & look what has happened to Fleming now through that experience.