• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Captain?

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i thought vaughan was a ok captain..

But when u get humiliated in a ODI series like they just did.. i dunno .....

tooextracool

International Coach
MoxPearl said:
i thought vaughan was a ok captain..

But when u get humiliated in a ODI series like they just did.. i dunno .....
any team that picked key,jones, mcgrath,blackwell & clarke would have been humiliated....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
any team that picked key,jones, mcgrath,blackwell & clarke would have been humiliated....
Why Jones? Surely he wasn't the worst of players in the series.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
michael_vaughan said:
i do it werent bad captaincy just bad team performance
He wasn't exactly performing well himself in the NatWest. If he regains his form his team will improve a LOT. His captaincy won't only be more tactically good but it'll also be inspirational.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Protea said:
He wasn't exactly performing well himself in the NatWest. If he regains his form his team will improve a LOT. His captaincy won't only be more tactically good but it'll also be inspirational.
How would personal performance improve his tactical captaincy?

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
His own confidence will improve and he'll have a clear mind, not having to worry about trying to find a way to regain form. He may even be worrying about his place in the side (although I don't think that's in any danger) so he ends up making a few rash decisions

Langeveldt

Soutie
tooextracool said:
Totally agreed, except Jones...

It's not rocket science, its plain to see why the results don't happen in one day cricket for England..

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
I thought McGrath was over for good after the SA tour last year? He isn't exactly good at anything. Just seems to be one of those bits and pieces players.

BTW, what happened to that Ed Smith dude?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
I thought McGrath was over for good after the SA tour last year? He isn't exactly good at anything. Just seems to be one of those bits and pieces players.

BTW, what happened to that Ed Smith dude?
Ed Smith didnt score heavily during his brief stint.. He could feel a little hard done by, he is still knocking on the door and I think we will see him when Thorpe/Butcher go...

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Before he got selected I heard he was the next best thing. The English selectors never seem satisfied and make their changes wayyyy to quickly. He made 60-odd on his debut, if I'm not mistaken.

Langeveldt

Soutie
yeah.. Some of the selection is beyond belief.. It isnt as bad as it used to be though, with guys getting just the one match...
Not sure how old he is, but he must be getting on a bit?

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
He must be about Vaughan's age. I heard that he was one of the highest scorers in the county champs last year but he also made a lot of ducks :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Ed Smith didnt score heavily during his brief stint.. He could feel a little hard done by, he is still knocking on the door and I think we will see him when Thorpe/Butcher go...
Butcher is 30 or 31, but for some reason constantly bracketed with Thorpe (and Hussain)

I personally doubt Smith will play another Test.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
Butcher's not that old. He just looks like he's over forty...
You really don't like the look of him do you :)

Ed Smith is a heavy CC scorer, but didnt make an immediate impact with England.. Vaughan and Trescothick were not heavy CC scorers, and did..

As they say in America, go figure...

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
You really don't like the look of him do you :)
What girl would?

Ed Smith didn't get that big a chance, IMO. Something like 2 Tests. He seemed a little arrogant to me.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
What girl would?

Ed Smith didn't get that big a chance, IMO. Something like 2 Tests. He seemed a little arrogant to me.
Alec Stewart's sister??

Ed Smith is not arrogant... just a little highly strung..