• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Captain?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
You're mad. :p

There are plenty that are as good and better than Vaughan, who is still to proove himself. I still think Vaughan is a good captain though.

michael_vaughan

School Boy/Girl Captain
hi

mad in a gud way but i think to win all hes won in such a short space of time is class and he will go on to be the best captain ever

jane :D

michael_vaughan

School Boy/Girl Captain
hi

hes won natwest series natwest challenge beat west indes first time in however many years beat newzelend 3.0 who won the natwest series and ths is in 1 year

jane

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Beating the West Indies for the first time away from home in ages says nothing.

The aren't the force they used to be, and I was always expecting to beat them in the Test arena.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Agreed - but I think he's in for another run spurt soon - he looks in good nick.
i highly doubt hes going to be scoring runs consistenly until he is stripped off his captaincy....there are major temperamental and technical flaws that he needs to focus on.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a different story for Vaughan in the tests..he's got a very good/experienced batting lineup & Harmison is taking wickets virtually every spell he bowls.

If the test side suddenly started struggling it would be interesting to see if he could pull them out of a slump though.

michael_vaughan

School Boy/Girl Captain
hi

no he wont i think he will come back against west indes fighting it is differnt in tests though cause i mean in one dayers his team has hardly any experience weres butcher and hoggard

jane

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
I think if he fails against WI, he may well be stripped of the captaincy - but I'm not sure he will fail.
no the problem is that if he does fail with the bat, or manages his customary 1 good knock in the entire series,but the team as a whole does well he wont lost his captaincy.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Most of the captains are good at different things, and if they are the right person to lead their team, then I think that they're good. Captaincy is too objective, I don't think it can be measured, certainly not by numbers obviously because of the quality of players.
In no order, this is what I think of some of the skippers.

Fleming - Obviously his tactics are the best of the current batch of captains. Gets a lot out of his team.
Ganguly - The best person to lead the Indians, with his Attitude. His tactics and fielding (especially) is ordinary.
Ponting - Leads by example and has this enthusiasm (dynamism/flair?) about him. Can be very good tactically.
Smith - The breath of fresh air for SA cricket, the man to take SA to the top.
Lara - Inspirational batsman, but I don't think he's as good a leader of men as some of the other skippers.
Vaughan - His team seems very "together" under his leadership. Probably the best man for the job.
Inzamam - Leads by example, but terrible fielder. I have nothing more to say about him...

I have nothing to say about Atapattu, Taibu and Habibul Bashar. Taibu seems like a real fighter though.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
You're absolutely right - you can't measure captaincy.

I think a lot of people in this forum are judging the captains simply from team results and that's not fair. A captain, just like a coach, can only do so much with the players they're given.

It seems to me that any chimpanzee will look good captaining Australia, and a man with Rommel's tactical nous will be derided if he captains Zimbabwe.

michael_vaughan

School Boy/Girl Captain
exactley i mean austrialian captains have more better players so it is quite easier for austrialians to be wining and it also takes time to build a team

jane