• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Captain?

masterblaster

International Captain
What I meant to say was that Ponting has very, very strong batting and bowling resources most of the time.

Ganguly on the other hand, generally has very strong batting resources but very weak bowling resources barring Anil Kumble, so I think he's done a good job on that front.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the other difference is that Ponting had a relatively smooth transition into the captaincy role. Ponting served his apprenticeship under Waugh & by the time Waugh left the team was in good hands & away she goes.

Whereas Ganguly came in at a time where Indian Captains were being sacked regulary..the team was underachieving & there was no real certainty that Ganguly would last that long either.

So i'd probably rate Ganguly ahead of Ponting at this stage...because of the fact that Ganguly has had to make a few hard yards.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Tim said:
I think the other difference is that Ponting had a relatively smooth transition into the captaincy role. Ponting served his apprenticeship under Waugh & by the time Waugh left the team was in good hands & away she goes.

Whereas Ganguly came in at a time where Indian Captains were being sacked regulary..the team was underachieving & there was no real certainty that Ganguly would last that long either.

So i'd probably rate Ganguly ahead of Ponting at this stage...because of the fact that Ganguly has had to make a few hard yards.
Just because your team is going well captaincy in itself is not easier. I know the automatic response is to say the opposite, but if it is thought through I think Ponting has it just as hard as Ganguly. In the end, they make the same decisions, do the same job. Remember also that Ponting had critics on his back too, saying Gilchrist was the right man. (Bringing back memories of the nightclub incident.)

Also Ponting was originally OD captain, with no prior captaincy or vice captaincy to go by. (In Tests or ODs.)

If your team is going well, that hardly gets rid of pressure. Nasser Hussein is a good example.

I don't think you can judge people on whether they 'make the hard yards.' It is the tactical side that counts and also how the carry themselves as a person and in the media. In these two areas IMO Ponting exceeds Ganguly.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
A 1 armed blind Monkey would be able to captain the Australian side.
:@ :@ 8-) 8-) :dry: :dry: I am sick of comments like this being made. They are wrong and you know it. It is not that easy to captain any side, even an awesome one.

I really doubt Australia would be in the position it is now within the astute captaincy of Waugh and Ponting. Suttle tactical brilliance takes many of the wickets. :dry:

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
A 1 armed blind Monkey would be able to captain the Australian side.
Thats where you are wrong marc71178, A 1 armed blind Monkey would be able to captain the England side and you wont notice the difference but if you tried it with the Aussie team the monkey would be a hinderence to the team.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
:@ :@ 8-) 8-) :dry: :dry: I am sick of comments like this being made. They are wrong and you know it. It is not that easy to captain any side, even an awesome one.

I really doubt Australia would be in the position it is now within the astute captaincy of Waugh and Ponting. Suttle tactical brilliance takes many of the wickets. :dry:
I agree with Mr. Ponting, you guys need to be realistic. Two arms.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ganguly beats Smith in terms of raw aggression and passion.

Call it Indian bias if you like, but Smith comes across really intelligent and shrewd rather than 'passionate' or 'aggressive'.

Scallywag

Banned
I hope some of you notice just how good Ponting is, I dont care if he's not regarded as the best but I see nothing to suggest that any one captain is outstanding and Ponting dosent measure up just as well. In the test being played right now Punter outsmarted the Sri Lankans before a ball was even bowled. He informed the media he was going to "unleash his bowlers " against SL on a pitch that would suit fast short bowling.

He then wanders down to the nets and calmly informs Haydo and Alfie to get ready to bat on the first day because for some reason the SL batsmen will think its a bad idea to bat first on a pitch suited to Aussie quicks. He also tells them to practise hitting short balls to the boundry because again for some reason the SL bowlers think its a fast pitch. Now why on earth did SL send the Aussies into bat?.

Aus 0/207 (28 fours and 2 6's)

Mingster

State Regular
How long do you expect Fleming to be around for? I think he will definitely reach the 2007 WC, but how much longer after that?

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
so what?did the aussies blame the turning wickets for their 2-1 loss in india on their last tour?
india apparently has the best batting lineup, yet when they come up in unfavourable batting conditions they seem to crumble.....the point of being the best batting side in the world is to do well on all surfaces

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
There was only a difference of 20-30 runs between the two teams every innings.....that was good enough to carry NZ through in the 2 tests.

It wasnt as if NZ scored 250 and India crumbled to 90 all out every innings.

The 2-0 scoreline is not an accurate reflection of the cricket played by India.
and incase you missed the recent eng-nz series, in every test NZ were in with a chance....its just that england played well when it mattered. and let me remind you that this what with half the team injured......

Deja moo

International Captain
tooextracool said:
and incase you missed the recent eng-nz series, in every test NZ were in with a chance....its just that england played well when it mattered. and let me remind you that this what with half the team injured......

NZ had a chance till the last day only in the third test.

In the first two tests, England were in control well before the last day .

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i believe it has to be fleming, for his amazing work with the team hes got, and also his captaincy against the aussies.

Swervy

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Ganguly beats Smith in terms of raw aggression and passion.

Call it Indian bias if you like, but Smith comes across really intelligent and shrewd rather than 'passionate' or 'aggressive'.
and thats why Smith is better

tooextracool

International Coach
Deja moo said:
NZ had a chance till the last day only in the third test.

In the first two tests, England were in control well before the last day .
you didnt watch much of that series then?
in the first test the game kept see sawing one way and then the other and even on the final morning when england were 50 odd for 2 chasing 284 you might have said that NZ were on top.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting may be a captain of a strong side, but even that takes a lot of skill. Ask any Indian captain! Besides, in India, he had an attack rubbished by many, including a few Australians on this board. Yet he won the series. He has won many a series cleanly.

For England, Vaughan was a good captain when he started, since he is more liberal. He talks to players and does what's best for them as a captain. Harmison has improved as a bowler ever since Vaughan took over, bar the SA series. It's a lot more relaxed. No doubt Hussain did a lot of good with his repressive captaincy, but they were likely to self-destruct each time, and they did, every time, in the Ashes and after.

Ganguly's great captaincy is just an image. He may look a great statesman and astute leader of men in press conferences, but he's the worst captain of a fielding side. After a good hammering from opposition batsmen, he sets bad ball fields. His bowling changes are also silly. He himself can't field for toffees! Even if you call the Indians a strong team, the lack of great players has always been exposed when needed most. Dravid is more innovative and a good captain in the Fleming mould.

Fleming is a decent captain, and very good given that the team has just a few star players, such as Astle, Cairns and Bond. He is very intelligent and can adapt quickly to different situations in different matches, but now the lack of great players is being exposed in every match against the Australians.

Pakistani captains are under-rated, since they don't last long and they are under a lot of pressure.

Shaun Pollock was the best captan for SA, and he knew what was best for his bowlers, and what they could do best. He did a rather good job given the chances, but the Australians were always a bugbear. He was unlucky to lose captaincy after the World Cup. Graeme Smith is an aggressive and temperamental captain, like Ganguly and Hussain, and is prone to making rash decisions, like bowling Pollock in the middle overs in Dhaka and opening with a left-arm seamer who is not of international class.

Lankan captains of the recent past, except Hashan, have been good, but were let down by underperforming players and were under pressure from seven jokers known as selectors.

Lara is a captain who chooses unconventional means, which may work occasionally. Another captain let down by the players, especially in fielding and bowlign extras.

Zimbabwean captains didn't stay for long, so we can't talk of them.

Khaled Mashd was a decent captain let down by his players, Khaled Mahmud didn't deserve to be in the side and the current captain isn't bad, for the Bangla side.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
It was the same in the Eng v WI series too. IMO both teams bowled very well, almost equally so, but the English batsmen showed far more grit than their West Indian counterparts.