• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Eleven for ICC Super series V Australia

Scallywag

Banned
The bowling looks a bit weak, Harmison averages over 50 against Australia and Bond has only played 10 tests and has not performed against Australia. I would go with Vass and Kumble in the first 11.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
and why not....hes one of the best keepers around and his ability to score quick runs without being set makes him a very handy player to have particularly in a side with such batting strength.
There's no reason for him to displace Taibu though. Taibu has accomplished more and is also an outstanding 'keeper.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
The bowling looks a bit weak, Harmison averages over 50 against Australia and Bond has only played 10 tests and has not performed against Australia.

There are 10 Test teams, not 1, and Harmison in particular is a completely different bowler than he was in Australia.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'll have a go at the teams.

Test Team

1. Graeme Smith (captain)
2. Marvan Atapattu
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Lara
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Mark Boucher (wicket keeper)
8. Shaun Pollock
9. M.Ntini
10.Anil Kumble
11.Muttiah Muralitharan (Harmison, if Murli refuses to tour)

Test Team Coach - John Wright

Reserves: Herschelle Gibbs, VVS Laxman, I. Ul Haq, K. Sangakkara, Steve Harmison, Shoaib Akhtar, Harbhajan Singh, Chaminda Vaas.

Now, let me discuss my picks.

Smith has proven himself many times, and deserves his spot. His attacking style will gel perfectly with Atapattu's more balanced style of play. The next 3 simply pick themsleves. There is no excuse for dropping any of these 3. Dravid will lend solidity to the innings. Kallis is the perfect person to come in at number 6, and if he gets into a decent partership with anyone, then watch the runs flow.

The 'keeper's choice was a bit dodgy, and I had left it down to Sangakkara or Boucher. In the end, I chose Boucher, because his keeping is significantly better than Sangakkara's. And if a top order lineup like that cannot score 350 + runs, then Sangakkara won't make any difference to the score. His silghtly better batting skills don't justify him a position into the squad.

Now, moving down to the bowlers. It was tough decision between Harmison and Pollock, and although Harmison is at the peak of his form, Pollock's year hasn't been too bad, either. And you will always vote for experience over form in big-match situations. Therefore, Pollock finds himself a place.

Ntini is the best fast bowler today (non-Aussie), so enough said.

Here's the clincher. Why pick either of the 2 spinners? Why should it be "Murli or Kumble"? Why can't it be Murli AND Kumble? These 2 workhorses will bowl 15 overs each on the trot. Such intense pressure from both ends. :blink: Kallis, Pollock and Ntini won't even need to touch the ball. (Okay exxageration, but think about it!) Even if you had to pick the 4 best bowlers in the team, Kumble and Muralitharan would both make the team (remember Kumble's recent 8 wicket haul?).

The unluckiest player to be left out is VVS Laxman. Akhtar is never consistent enough to be picked, neither are Vaas or Harbhajan.

ODI Team

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Chris Gayle
4. Rahul Dravid (captain)
5. VVS Laxman
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Mark Boucher
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Makhaya Ntini
11. Mutthiah Muralitharan

ODI Team Coach - Dav Whatmore

Reserves: Jacob Oram, Chaminda Vaas, Anil Kumble, Saurav Ganguly, Stephen Fleming, Irfan Pathan

True, the batting is very much Indian-biased, but that is just a coincidence. Tendulkar and Dravid pick themselves into any team. Sehwag and Gayle are the perfect agressive type of batsmen, which will balance the stability and solidity privided to the innings by Laxman and Dravid. Laxman beats Fleming to the post anyday. Kallis, Flintoff and Pollock are the top 3 all-rounders out there, and that leaves Jacob Oram as an unlucky spectator. Pathan is a decent young all-rounder, but he's still lucky to be in the resevres.

Boucher is the only wicketkeeper that comes to mind. At number 8, he would probably have the last 3-5 or so overs to contend with. Such a player needs to be someone that can hit the ball hard, and run quick between the wickets. The reason I don't have Dravi as keeper is simply because it isn't necessary. It's not as if the team lacks all rounders (as is the case with the Indian team). Boucher can be perfectly slotted in at number 8, ahead of Pollock, Ntini and Muralitharan.

The only little hitch is with the post of captain. Saurav Ganguly or Stephen Fleming would have made good skippers, but you don't get chosen to a team based on your captaincy skills. A captain is chosen from among a team of 11 men. And for this particular team, Dravid is the best person to lead.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
1/ It really is not an important issue, an opener is made to face the opening bowling, face first. If the batsmen selected can't face first, then they shouldn't be in the side.

2/ Most sides rotate first strike.
Wrong. Australia used to always rotate first strike, partly due to one of many of Slats' superstitions. Most opening batsmen have a preferance - Graham Gooch always very much wanted to face first, Alec Stewart always hated facing first. Some, like Marcus Trescothick, show no preferance whatsoever; some, like Michael Atherton and Chris Gayle, have a preferance for facing first but not an insistance; some vice-versa, like Ian Ward; and occasionally occur those who change their mind during their career, like Nick Knight and Mark Butcher. As a result, most regular opening combinations have someone who always faces first and someone who always faces second. Anyone who bats regularly with Michael Slater and has a strong preferance is in trouble.

Last edited:

scottcraze

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Test

1. G.Smith
2. V.Sehwag
3. R.Dravid
4. S.Tendulkar
5. B. Lara
6. J.Kallis
7. A.Flintoff
8. M.Boucher
9. S.Pollock
10. S.Harmison
11. M.Muralitharan

One Day

1 Sehwag
2 Tendulkar
3 Lara
4 Flintoff
5 Kallis
6 Afridi
7 Razaqq
8 Boucher
9 Pollock
10 Harmison
11 Muralitharan

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd disagree with that. If Lara were opening the batting (and don't even start to argue with me about Lara's ability at the top of the order because you'll be proven wrong) I wouldn't want him facing the first ball. It's more of a mental thing than anything else. Whilst I'm sure Lara can cope with the mental aspect, I wouldn't want to risk a first baller for my premier batsman. Rather, if he starts at the other end, he could possibly get a full over's look at the bowler before he has to face him.
Surely the better batsmen should be given the gift of first ball, whereas the other not-quite-so-good batsman should get a look.

In my opinion, an openers job is to see out the new ball, and the are born and bred to face the new ball. (Whether that be first ball of the over or 6th) An opener is supposed to be good enough to counter the unexpected.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly Australia would beat the World XI hands down(in ODIS) because Indian batting line up is better than any World Batting XI combination which doesn't include Australian batsmen.And no combination on World XI bowlers are good enough for this Australian batting line upin ODIs

This Australian Team will make a mockery of World XI in ODIs, In Tests it will be an even contest but if it is played down under, Australia will win the test series too regardless of who plays in the world XI.

Mr. P

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1/ Better option than Bond IMO.
3/ Judging from the massive amounts of cricket, form and success he's had of late? You can't pick a World XI living in the past.
1/ You honestly think Pathan has proven himself enough to make a World XI?? :dry:

2/ So going by that no SRT? :wacko:

Mr. P

Sanz said:
Clearly Australia would beat the World XI hands down(in ODIS) because Indian batting line up is better than any World Batting XI combination which doesn't include Australian batsmen.And no combination on World XI bowlers are good enough for this Australian batting line upin ODIs

This Australian Team will make a mockery of World XI in ODIs, In Tests it will be an even contest but if it is played down under, Australia will win the test series too regardless of who plays in the world XI.
This is not a bad theory, and it does make sense in a way.

But one minor point. Going by your logic, you would select EVERY player from the Indian cricket side (Their batting). This in turn disbanding players like Kallis, Lara, Smith, Vaughan and so on... :blink:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
arjwiz said:
ODI Team

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Chris Gayle
4. Rahul Dravid (captain)
5. VVS Laxman
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Mark Boucher
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Makhaya Ntini
11. Mutthiah Muralitharan

ODI Team Coach - Dav Whatmore

Reserves: Jacob Oram, Chaminda Vaas, Anil Kumble, Saurav Ganguly, Stephen Fleming, Irfan Pathan

True, the batting is very much Indian-biased, but that is just a coincidence. Tendulkar and Dravid pick themselves into any team. Sehwag and Gayle are the perfect agressive type of batsmen, which will balance the stability and solidity privided to the innings by Laxman and Dravid. Laxman beats Fleming to the post anyday. Kallis, Flintoff and Pollock are the top 3 all-rounders out there, and that leaves Jacob Oram as an unlucky spectator. Pathan is a decent young all-rounder, but he's still lucky to be in the resevres.
Rahul Dravid is nowhere near an automatic pick in ODI's. Fleming is the leading runscorer in ODI's this year, at an average of 49.92, and gets in ahead of Dravid. I would also put Sarwan in ahead of Laxman, on career and current form.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Pathan a better option than Bond in the ODI's considering Bond's ODI record against Australia?..haha you'd be mad not to pick him if he was fit.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Test:
G Smith
V Shewag
B Lara
S Tendulkar
R Dravid
J Kallis
M Boucher
Pollock
Kumble
Vaas
Murali

ODI
Tendulkar
Gayle
Lara
Kallis
Sarwan
Razzaq
Oram
Boucher
Pollock
Ntini
Murali

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Three cheers for age master for being the only person other than me to put Sarwan in the team. :)

Mingster

State Regular
PATHAN IS NOT AN ALL-ROUNDER!!!

If Daniel Vettori (1 Test century) is not even considered as an allrounder, then to suggest that Pathan is an allrounder is totally crazy.

If Pathan was to play for NZ, he would bat last.

Kent

State 12th Man
shaka said:
Richardson would probably be a likely starter, unless of course he has a horror series against Australia.
Richardson in a six-day test! I can't say it's something I'd like to see, but it's something I'd like to be told about afterwards...

Deja moo

International Captain
I think we need to decide if we are going to pick a team consisting of players who
(1)are almost certain to do well vs Australia , or
(2)if we wanna pick a team of players who do well against all opposition.

VVS would make the team in the first case , but not in the second.But if we want to see a tough competition in the matches , we have to pick players who satisfy the first critereon .In that case , VVS should make it.

Graeme Smith hasnt played Aus that many times to make him an auto-selection.

Murali and/or Kumble would definitely make the spinners slot.

Dravid is an automatic inclusion in the tests and I would put him down for the ODI's too.

SRT is in good form , and fi this form carries on till Oct 2005 , he makes both teams for me.
Lara too.

Sarwan is an automatic pick for me in both forms of the game.

We can never be sure if Sehwag will click in the one single test.
And I wouldnt have Sehwag in the ODIs....he has played them so many times in ODIs and hasnt won matches for India against them except for the first ODI in Bangalore in 2001 and also his 82 in the WC final.

If Sehwag has an aura of unpredictibility , Shoaib reeks of it.

Flintoff makes it . But Kallis would make it as purely a batsman. His bowling will not trouble the Aussie batsmen.

Sangakkarra should make it ahead of Boucher IMO , definitely in the ODI's ,and perhaps with a 75 % chance in the tests.

Harmison , Vaas and Ntini are my picks in the pace dept.

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
delkap said:
No Tendulkar !!!! but Thorpe/Sehwag/Smith make it ???
Taibu over Sangakarra/Boucher/McCullum/Jacobs/Jones/Moin (he might not play that long) thats some selection .....

:p Flintoff :p

:D :D :D :D