• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Outer Hebrides Cricket

Islander

Cricket Spectator
I don't know if this is the right section to post this but here goes, and I hope someone can help.

The island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides has issued a challenge to my island, the Isle of Harris, to play them at cricket. As you might suppose, this has never happened before, but we have taken up the gauntlet (or batting glove) and will meet them at 2pm on the 31st of July - our field of battle being a quite beautiful meadow beside the beach on the west coast of Harris.

The trouble is that we have no cricket gear and I am looking for anyone to donate any old bats, gloves, balls, stumps, bails, little stones for the umpires' pockets - no, OK, we can manage that. We have no sports shop here on Harris and if we did it would only supply football gear.

As we are likely to play one game a year tops we are loath to splash out on what I see from the web is quite expensive stuff nowadays. We will if we have to but I was sure there would be dusty old equipment languishing about in broomcupboards and attics which would love a holiday in the Outer Hebrides.

All donations gratefully received - including a pair of fairly handy openers and a seamer or two. Send me an email if you think you can help.

Best wishes from the windy northwest.

Swervy

International Captain
well i would say that you could probably buy a couple of half decent bats for a hundred quid, by a few balls for say £20 (on the net) and you could even make the stumps.....

pads and gloves arent too expensive (obviously depending on quality) you only really need three pairs between both teams,and also keeper gloves and pads.....oh and a box or 22 (i never have liked the idea of sharing someones box)...i reckon if you all put £20 in,you could have yourself a game.

Swervy

International Captain
by the way..make sure you tell us all how the game went...

oh and send the details to Wisden or something, they love this type of thing

GallusGirl

Cricket Spectator
to the one who posted about Outer Hebrides

Could you send me your email id please? Urgent

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but here goes, and I hope someone can help.

The island of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides has issued a challenge to my island, the Isle of Harris, to play them at cricket. As you might suppose, this has never happened before, but we have taken up the gauntlet (or batting glove) and will meet them at 2pm on the 31st of July - our field of battle being a quite beautiful meadow beside the beach on the west coast of Harris.

The trouble is that we have no cricket gear and I am looking for anyone to donate any old bats, gloves, balls, stumps, bails, little stones for the umpires' pockets - no, OK, we can manage that. We have no sports shop here on Harris and if we did it would only supply football gear.

As we are likely to play one game a year tops we are loath to splash out on what I see from the web is quite expensive stuff nowadays. We will if we have to but I was sure there would be dusty old equipment languishing about in broomcupboards and attics which would love a holiday in the Outer Hebrides.

All donations gratefully received - including a pair of fairly handy openers and a seamer or two. Send me an email if you think you can help.

Best wishes from the windy northwest.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Either GalluGirl is a journalist, or there is a wonderful story behind this urgency.