• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Munaf Patel goes to Australia

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Munaf Patel goes to Australia
Hopefully that will improve his fielding. As for his bowling, he has a rather good FC average, but not too many wickets a match, and no 5-wicket hauls. His limited overs performance has improved. Anyway, he seems to be more effective than Siddharth Trivedi, another reserve, but not as good a fielder as Trivedi.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yeah, hopefully he will become the genuine 'quick' that India need alongside Pathan, Balaji, Zaheer and Agarkar.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
His bowling is debatable, but if he can improve his fielding, he can be a good selection. The attack will have a new facet- pace. This is what it may look like-

Bhandari- Attacking swing bowler, who makes the batsmen play. Relies on swing.
Pathan- More pace, can swing the ball
Munaf- Explosive pace, to attack the batsmen, or make them come forward.
Balaji/Salvi- Keep a tight line and length for a long time.

Waughney

International Debutant
Arjun said:
After watching him here in Australia, I wouldn't classify him as a bowler who's ability is just "can swing the ball". Maybe "more pace but does swing the ball well".

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
His bowling is debatable, but if he can improve his fielding, he can be a good selection. The attack will have a new facet- pace. This is what it may look like-

All of them except Balaji are hyped up. 140ish is hardly explosive and Pathan is medium pace under 135 kmph.

chicane

State Captain
Arjun said:

Bhandari?! :blink: He's very very ordinary, where's Zaheer?! :blink: Pathan like Waughney said is more swing than anyone else! :blink: Munaf won't have 'explosive' pace I think, and there's no way to tell how fast he is till he's timed. And Arjun your hunger for pace will have to wait longer because I don't think he'll be selected for any cricket this year given he wasn't considered for even the Asia cup.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
All of them except Balaji are hyped up.
The same Balaji who was supposed to single-handedly make India the best in the World according to some forum members?

Then he made his debut...

chicane

State Captain
marc71178 said:
The same Balaji who was supposed to single-handedly make India the best in the World according to some forum members?

Then he went to Australia and Pakistan with Irfan Pathan, and both did very well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

I dont know what you are talking about, I dont keep a track of what every Forum members said about him, but I never rated Balaji and always thought of him as a useless bowler. He certainly performed well and proved me wrong. IMO at present he is one of the best bowlers in India .

Some members always go overboard no matter where they are from.(Remember Ronney became the next best thing after pele after his two goals ?)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Bhandari makes the batsmen play. He tries to use every trick in the book as a fast bowler. He relies a lot on swing and seam movement, and is quite good at it. In the A-team's tour of England, he got 2 five-wicket hauls (other pacers had none!) and had a better final average than all other bowlers. He also bowled a lot better in the Kenstar series and in Perth. He is the best equipped and most effective bowler in away conditions, from this team. Zaheer and Nehra have to stay fit, like Ntini or Gillespie, for a long time, if they should stay in action- if they do, they can be among the top 10 bowlers in action.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Most Indian newspapers, especially the Mumbai-based so-called newspapers, have this bad habit of making something ordinary look great. But when Dennis Lillee says that Munaf bowls very fast, the people that matter have to take notice. If not an automatic India call-up (one Parthiv Patel is bad enough), he should be monitored closely by them- selectors, not media. There will be some purpose in picking 5 seamers in a team and playing 3 in the XI, if one of these seamers bowls fast.

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:

Absolutely no one rated him at all before his debut .

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
You weren't on here at that time were you?
Guess not .

But there was nothing on him in the papers too ( yes, even the Times of India carried nothing on him)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My favourite Balaji quotes:

"ndian selectors have finally decided to unleash the secret deadly weapon in "Lakshmipathy Balaji".The guy is a 21 year old genuine fast bowler"

"India's bowling is just as good as anyone else.Forget Nehra and Bangar, Balaji is now in the side and he's one hell of a bowler, and with Khan and Nath the bowling attack looks ROCK SOLID"

"Mark my word, Balaji is here to stay and will reach glorious height"

"At the moment India doesn't have Khan & Balaji, with them around India will have a one hell of an attack."

Then he made his debut and it all went a bit quiet.

Deja moo

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
My favourite Balaji quotes:

"ndian selectors have finally decided to unleash the secret deadly weapon in "Lakshmipathy Balaji".The guy is a 21 year old genuine fast bowler"

"India's bowling is just as good as anyone else.Forget Nehra and Bangar, Balaji is now in the side and he's one hell of a bowler, and with Khan and Nath the bowling attack looks ROCK SOLID"

"Mark my word, Balaji is here to stay and will reach glorious height"

"At the moment India doesn't have Khan & Balaji, with them around India will have a one hell of an attack."

Then he made his debut and it all went a bit quiet.

I'm going to search and store some of the stuff you have being saying about Harmison, then sit back and wait till he slips........muahahahahaha