Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swashbucklers vs Defensive XI

Swashbucklers vs Defensive XI

I was thinking of a test squad where everyone was a strokeplayer, and went for runs, regardless of the situation. What would this team look like, compared to a team where everyone looked to play classical test-cricket with proper defence etc.

Or in short, attacking vs defensive XI. I also want bowlers who tend to smash instead of blocking and building a partnership.

Now since most players only started to attack since the ODI's hv started, lets limit the players to ODI era. Although no doubt there were attacking players before, this would be a better comparision as captains now set field differently for each player which could matter in such a scenario.

Also ignore players who play according to situation, and attack only when it's needed (examples can be Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting etc) These are damn good defensive players as well. Pick players who on instinct will attack most time or defend most times in a test match.

Attacking XI

Matthew Hayden
    Sanath Jayasuriya
    Viv Richards
    Virender Sehwag
    Chris Cairns
    Andrew Flintoff
    Adam Gilchrist (wk, vc)
    Kapil Dev (c)
    Wasim Akram
    Harbhajan Singh (I know I'll be hammered on this one..)
    Mutthiah Muralitharan

Defensive XI

Sunil Gavaskar (vc)
    Mark Richardson
    Rahul Dravid
    Jacques Kallis
    Graham Thorpe
    Allan Border (c)
    Ian Healy (wk)
    Jason Gillespie
    Anil Kumble
    Allan Donald
    Glenn Mcgrath

Clarification on Rules (added to avoid further confusion )

Select Attacking or Defensive players but select the best possible team, i.e people who actually make their team consistently, regardless of their attacking or defensive behaviour.

Also this is based on batting, and bowlers are selected on same criteria: those who will throw their bats or block, but at same time excel in bowling.

Hopefully this will reduce the confusion, and thread can carry on well
    My apologies once again for any confusion so far.

PS: I just posted this, cos I thought this could be an interesting discussion. If you think this to be a not a very good topic, you are welcome not to post to it.
    Last edited by delkap; 28-06-2004 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Clarifying Rules
    India to be No.1 someday soon !! :)

Hexxagon Champion!
    replace Butcher with Mark richardson

Dravid does'nt qualify going by your rules.He can attack hard when required.

Replace Ambrose with Wasim ,atleast he could bat in an attacking manner.

Where's Afridi ?
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Tim
    I'd have Mark Richardson to open instead of Butcher...Butcher isn't too defensive these days.

Quote Originally Posted by delkap
    I was thinking of a test squad where everyone was a strokeplayer, and went for runs, regardless of the situation. What would this team look like, compared to a team where everyone looked to play classical test-cricket with proper defence etc.

Or in short, attacking vs defensive XI. I also want bowlers who tend to smash instead of blocking and building a partnership.

Now since most players only started to attack since the ODI's hv started, lets limit the players to ODI era. Although no doubt there were attacking players before, this would be a better comparision as captains now set field differently for each player which could matter in such a scenario.

Also ignore players who play according to situation, and attack only when it's needed (examples can be Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting etc) These are damn good defensive players as well. Pick players who on instinct will attack most time or defend most times in a test match.

Attacking XI

Harbhajan Singh (I know I'll be hammered on this one..)
    Yes, Harbhajan's bowling these days does encourage a lot of run scoring.

As fo you're defesive XI, I'm not going to touch it. Have you ever watched a match before?

Quote Originally Posted by orangepitch
    replace Butcher with Mark richardson

Dravid does'nt qualify going by your rules.He can attack hard when required.

Replace Ambrose with Wasim ,atleast he could bat in an attacking manner.

Where's Afridi ?
    Yeah I agree, Richardson's name slipped my mind when I posted this. thanks for the reminder. And I agree with Wasim as well.

But as for Dravid, he is pre-dominantly defensive. He only attacks when its really needed. Rest of the time he plays slower than others. While for Lara/Ponting/Sachin they will go after a bad ball even if it means taking a risk. They r not as worried abt defence as Dravid. While all Dravid tries to do is "stay out as long as possible". I'll term him defensive, this is tests we are talking about and how many times Dravid gets to a situation where he needs to slog ??

Tim
    Yes im not sure you could count Donald, Gillespie, Kumble or McGrath as defensive bowlers when you look at how many wickets they've taken.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Then we'll end up with Chris Harris, Larson , etc bowling in tests

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Yes im not sure you could count Donald, Gillespie, Kumble or McGrath as defensive bowlers when you look at how many wickets they've taken.
    I guess his reasoning was McGrath was his "defensive" line, which is actually a perfect line and should be classed as attacking as there is a good chance of taking a wicket.
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Umm I must clarify:

These teams are based on batting skills and not bowling.
    Hence what I am saying is that Gillespie, Donald, Kumble, Mcgrath tend to defence when they come out to bat compared to Murali or Harbhajan who tend to throw their bats when they come out to bat.

McGrath just tends to get out, doesn't have enough time to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    McGrath just tends to get out, doesn't have enough time to defend.
    Well he is one of the best bowlers in recent times, and totally incapable of attacking .. hence he finds himself in defensive XI

Didn't you just say this was on batting? The comment wasn't serious anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    Didn't you just say this was on batting? The comment wasn't serious anyway
    It is on Batting. However I guess all Mcgrath hopes to do is defend. Thats another thing he isn't good at it. He is a good bowler so he makes the team.

I am trying to pick 4 best bowlers who will defend in batting. They don't hv to be good at it. Hence Donald and Mcgrath.

Cheers.

PS: I didn't take the comment that seriously. Just explaining my point of view. I welcome any criticism/ argument and will consider a better option like Orangepitch pointed out earlier.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Surely Boycott must be there?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

These teams are based on batting skills and not bowling.
    Well he is one of the best bowlers in recent times, and totally incapable of attacking .. hence he finds himself in defensive XI
    I am trying to pick 4 best bowlers who will defend in batting. They don't hv to be good at it. Hence Donald and Mcgrath.
    Seems like you are making this up as you are going along, only managing to confuse everyones including yourself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information