• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swashbucklers vs Defensive XI

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
delkap said:
I'll ignore the sarcasm..

Most attacking and defensive batsman (who actually make their teams) Not one-time wonders like Afridi. Seriously, we are trying to pick a decent competitive XI not just a bunch of mindless sloggers.
Since when?

In fact judging by the name of this thread I would say exactly what we are looking for are mindless sloggers who have nothing but attack in mind. (Or the opposite)

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
we are looking for are mindless sloggers who have nothing but attack in mind. (Or the opposite)
At the same time an ability to make their respective squad ...

How else would you call em test cricketers ??

Mr. P

delkap said:
At the same time an ability to make their respective squad ...

How else would you call em test cricketers ??
Yep. We are talking of Afridi are we not?

So in other words: To qualify you need to have played Test Cricket.

Afridi has. Case settled.

biased indian

International Coach
they do attack
afridi
sehwag
jayasuriya
gilchrist
gibbs
powell
astle
akthar
lee
bond
murali

i only got these name

Richardson
chopra
kirsten
chanderpaul
buthcer
giles

Last edited:

Mr. P

koch_cha said:
they do attack
afridi
sehwag
jayasuriya
gilchrist
gibbs
powell
astle
akthar
lee
bond
murali

i only got these name

Richardson
chopra
kirsten
chanderpaul
buthcer
giles
1/ Lee is sometimes used a defensive player.

2/ From what I have heard, Chopra is *supposedly* an aggressive batsman at first class level. However this is Test Cricket so I agree with you.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
koch_cha said:
they do attack
afridi
sehwag
jayasuriya
gilchrist
gibbs
powell
astle
akthar
lee
bond
murali

i only got these name

Richardson
chopra
kirsten
chanderpaul
buthcer
giles
didn't chanderpaul recently got a century of 60-70 balls in test cricket ?? Now how could that be defensive ??

And ofcourse everyone attacks at some time or the other, point is who will attack regardless of situation... I dont think Gibbs/ Astle/ Lee do that always.

Mr. P

delkap said:
And ofcourse everyone attacks at some time or the other, point is who will attack regardless of situation...
What, mindless sloggers?;) :confused:

Just kidding. :p

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Ok how about since I started this thread, I'll tell you what I was thinking but didn't make it clear in what I wrote.. Sorry abt that ..

Attacking or Defensive players but select the best possible team filled with them...
People who actually make their team consistently, regardless of their attacking or defensive behaviour (I think I am saying this 3rd time :p)

Well this was the idea, sorry for all the confusion...

Deja moo

International Captain
Swervy said:
so you would have Butcher in the defensive XI but not Dravid... :blink:

I dont want either of 'em in there.

I said to remove Butcher and put in Richardson.

*correction*..Neil had already clarified.I saw that just now .

Like Linda said , this is actually a good thread. We have just ended up confusing each other . :p

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
delkap said:
didn't chanderpaul recently got a century of 60-70 balls in test cricket ?? Now how could that be defensive ??
3rd fastest Test hundred of all-time I believe.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Attacking XI
1. Jayasuriya
2. Hayden
3. Richards Vivian
4. Sehwag
5. Botham
6. Gilchrist
7. Afridi
8. Jessop
9. Constantine
10. Akram
11. Murali

Defensive XI
1. Boycott
2. Chopra
3. Wright
4. Tavare (replacing Steele)
5. Smith MJK
6. Bailey Trevor
7. Mackay
8. Nadkarni
9. Taylor Bob
10.McGrath
11.Walsh

Last edited:

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
As can several in that side!
Which is why Richardson , Gavaskar and Thorpe are great ODI players ?

Dravid , if he didnt play test cricket , would still make the Odi team in India.

Same cant be said about the other 3.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
orangepitch said:
Which is why Richardson , Gavaskar and Thorpe are great ODI players ?

Dravid , if he didnt play test cricket , would still make the Odi team in India.

Same cant be said about the other 3.
cos Dravid adapts to the situation, that doesn't mean he'll attack in tests too. There he defends... And this is a test squad. Its irrelevant what he does in odi's (btw he keeps too, so thats a bonus).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh really?

Thorpe was most definitely not a poor ODI player - and he is also most defintiely not defensive - just because he doesn't score at run a ball in Tests and try to hit everything out of the ground!