• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zeland domestic contracts

southern man

U19 Cricketer
I was looking over the ODT this morning when there was abit on the domestic contracts to be released in three weeks.
There was an article on Jesse Ryder saying that he wants to go to a province that will give him oppurtunities, Otago hasn't even approached him i find that amazing.
Apparentley the strong word is that he will go to Canterbury.
Canterbury have to be the smartest domestic province when it comes to recruiting in the country, So far they have got Mcintosh, Sherlock and possibly Ryder.
While other provinces sit on their arses and think that second grade cricketers will get them through the season.
In an article just abve the one about Ryder it had abit about the Otago team, In there was abit saying they were after a top order batsman like Rob Nicol, Come on guys Auckland won't be dumb enough to let him go.

So who are the in's and out's in your provinces?
Why are cricket administrators so inept in this country when it comes to recruiting?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've heard the inside word recently that Ryder has been an absolute nightmare at the Academy & that his drinking & smoking is getting worse.

Apparently he's becoming a gold-digger aswell.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Otago should send some scouts up to Auckland & take a look at some of the club players who are unlucky to miss out on the Auckland side.
There are about 3 or 4 batsmen who would be good enough to play FC cricket..it's just that Auckland have a pretty healthy batting lineup already.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
BTW, it's not up to Auckland who stays & who goes.
Richard Jones just decided he wanted to leave Wellington & return to Auckland..and McIntosh obviously believed he would have a better shot down at Canterbury so he's left Auckland.

Otago could get Nicol..it's just whether Rob wants to move away.
In saying that though..Auckland would definately not want to lose one of their brightest young players. They'll no doubt be annoyed at already losing McIntosh.

Last edited:

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Sad news about Ryder he had real talent, It would be stupid of him if his addictions are getting in the way of his career. But if he came down here im sure that Glenn Turner would get him back on track, But from all accounts he is Cantebrurys problem.
Otago have alot of very good sevebteen and eighteen year olds around the scene, But we just need players to fill in before these young guys become set into the first class team. What we really need to paoch from other provinces is good middle order players, We have top order ability in Wasim, Cumming and gaffers...but we just need players to fill rolls 4-6.
No doubt if we go after Nicol we would offer hi one of our top three contracts, Something i would say Auckland coulidnt do.
Ah well no doubt Auckland will unearth another great talent, same as CD and Canterbury while the plodders will keep on plodding on.

cbuts

International Debutant
that stuff got in the way of his father. the wairarapa coach told the nz selectors taht jessie ryders father goes out boozing every night etc. and that he aint ready to play internatinal cricket. the selectors never rang him again. so its not suprising that jesieis following his fathers footsteps

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Canterbury & Auckland have too many good players...NZ cricket should step in & make them loan some of their players to Otago to make the season more competitive.

For a 1/3 of the season, Canterbury will have Stewart, Papps, Astle, McIntosh, McMillan, Cairns, Fulton, Harris, McCullum etc...and for 2/3's probably Stewart, McIntosh & Papps (depending on whether he makes the NZ team) competing for 2 opening spots.
Auckland are in a similar position.

Otago could perhaps take a gamble & try and sign a couple of up & coming youth players from around the country who aren't getting contracts with their provinces.
Gary Stead is unlikely to make the Canterbury team that often this season..he should move to Otago and add some shape to the middle order.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard last season positive things about Ryder. He was living on Mark Greatbatch's farm in the winter & having coaching lessons.

I suspect he's been told he's very good since age-group level & now believes he can do whatever he wants & still get picked in a team.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Talented cricketer Jesse Ryder is poised to leave Central Districts but says he has not been recruited by Otago.

The destination of the dashing left-handed batsman is a hot topic with less than three weeks until the domestic contracts are announced.

Ryder (19), arguably the brightest talent on the New Zealand scene, told the Otago Daily Times yesterday he had not heard from the Otago Cricket Association.

"They haven't been in touch. I haven't spoken to anyone down there," he said from Masterton.

Asked if he would be interested in playing for Otago if it approached him, Ryder replied: "Of course."

Ryder confirmed he had a meeting arranged with another province early next week.

The Daily Times understands Canterbury, which will likely lose top-order batsmen Michael Papps and Craig McMillan for a significant chunk of the summer, is hoping to attract Ryder south.

Ryder earned a reputation for bold, attacking batsmanship at national under-19 level and enhanced his stock with an unbeaten 114 in his fourth first-class match for Central Districts in 2002-03.

His average of 60.83 after that summer led to him being named one of the New Zealand Cricket Almanack 's promising players, and there was speculation he would play for the depleted Black Caps in Pakistan late last year.
Earlier this year, he was fined and suspended for one game for showing dissent while playing for Hawkes Bay against Wairarapa.

He did not make the same impact in his second season for Central Districts, and confirmed a move to another province was appealing.
"At this stage, yeah, I'd prefer to be playing somewhere else."
Central Districts coaching director Scott Briasco said Ryder had not informed the association of his intentions for next season.
"Jesse's a very talented player and we'd love to have him stay here," Briasco said from Napier.
"But he has to make a decision for himself, and as long as he's playing cricket somewhere, we'll be happy."

----------------------------------

All I can say is that if Ryder goes to Otago, he better be prepared to work hard because I know that Glenn Turner won't take any crap. He'll find himself in the same position that he's in with C.D if he's not careful.

I think Canterbury need to stop signing up the talented players now..they've got a powerful squad & if they want the competition to be competitive they should allow other teams to have a go at signing players.

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
I've heard the inside word recently that Ryder has been an absolute nightmare at the Academy & that his drinking & smoking is getting worse.

Apparently he's becoming a gold-digger aswell.
Well if I were in charge of the academy, I would tell him to pull his head in and give it up and seek help if required or threaten him with explusion.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling he'll end up at Canterbury...that's where the Academy is.
But why? He's going to end up in the same situation at C.D, there will just be too much competition this season in Canterbury for places.

One player i've forgotten about who is going to be really good is Neil Broom..I hope he has a good season this year.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Ryders problems sound similar to McCullums around the same age. McCullum liked his speights alot, Turner wipped him into shape and sorted him out a fair bit, Only thing was that McCUllum didnt really like getting told what to do and that added up with his wife not really liking Dunedin he moved to Canterbury.

Atleast we have some decent young players coming through.

Craig

World Traveller
But having too much competition for places is a good thing.

If you get in you know you are playing well and are in very good form in club cricket.

I'm sure ND, Wellington, Otago, and I guess CD would not mind that problem.