• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman aiming for Lara's record !

Deja moo

International Captain
24 June , 2004.

India's VVS Laxman is a man on a mission this summer having targeted Brian Lara’s world record Test score of 400. ``It is one of my aims to reach 400,'' Laxman told the Asian Age although while beating Brian Lara's world record is in his sights, Laxman says it must also benefit the Indian team. ``I want to get the big scores when the team needs it most, like I did in Calcutta. But I know I can do a lot better than that,'' he said.

``I can improve much upon Calcutta,'' he says, with a confidence that stems from a highly successful 2003/04 season when he conquered a few demons, especially in the one-dayers. ``It was my best year in the ODIs. Earlier, I was never living up to my expectations of winning matches for the team.''

All that was put to rest last season. In 21 matches he scored five centuries, and his next-highest score was 32, indicating that he plays long innings' when set. Four of those centuries resulted in Indian victories, the best being the 107 he made during the series-decider against Pakistan.

...Rare to see a player stating in public such a personal goal :-O

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
Good on him!

Best of luck to VVS! Thats what we need, confidence and character.

Although it'll be much sweeter when he backs it up.

Deja moo

International Captain
Yes, Laxman does have the staying power once set.
If he gets past 30 , he is one of the most difficult to dislodge.
And his centuries do tend to be huge ones.

ut what worries me is the ODI stat of his last 21 matches.....5 hundreds and then just a high score of 32 in the remaining 16 innings :wacko:

Waughney

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
Rare to see a player stating in public such a personal goal :-O
I wouldn't say so, people like McGrath and Warne often set their goals in public (eg. McGrath targeting Vaughan in last Ashes)

Waughney

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
what what worries me is the ODI stat of his last 21 matches.....5 hundreds and then just a high score of 32 in the remaining 16 innings :wacko:
You should just be happy that he scored the 5 centuries :blink: !!

Raj123

U19 Debutant
orangepitch said:
Yes, Laxman does have the staying power once set.
If he gets past 30 , he is one of the most difficult to dislodge.
And his centuries do tend to be huge ones.

ut what worries me is the ODI stat of his last 21 matches.....5 hundreds and then just a high score of 32 in the remaining 16 innings :wacko:
but the good thing is he is making a concious effort in improving the pace of his game, something that was needed to stay in the team.

Deja moo

International Captain
Waughney said:
I wouldn't say so, people like McGrath and Warne often set their goals in public (eg. McGrath targeting Vaughan in last Ashes)
I'll probably get murdered for this , but getting to 400 is much more tougher for any batsman than McGrath getting Vaughan out 4 times in a series.

Waughney

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
I'll probably get murdered for this , but getting to 400 is much more tougher for any batsman than McGrath getting Vaughan out 4 times in a series.
Still doesn't mean that it's not a personal goal set in public.

Deja moo

International Captain
Waughney said:
Still doesn't mean that it's not a personal goal set in public.
Yeah, but its a long shot ,isnt it ?Most players wouldnt admit to it.
It would be like McGrath stating that he aims to take 10 wickets in an innings once over the next 10 ashes tests.

Andre

International Regular
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this be the aim of all international batsmen?

Last edited:

Waughney

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
Yeah, but its a long shot ,isnt it? Most players wouldnt admit to it.
It would be like McGrath stating that he aims to take 10 wickets in an innings once over the next 10 ashes tests.
Yes it is a long shot and most players wouldn't admit it to avoid seeming ****y and overconfident. I respect Laxman for telling it the way it is, but he is not the only one that sets goals in public.

Waughney

International Debutant
Andre said:
Correct me if I'm worng, but shouldn't this be the aim of all international batsmen?
I would say that it would be every batsman's dream, but I think they would be aiming for consistency and significant contributions to their team.