• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

england itinerary for summer 2005

tooextracool

International Coach
npower Test series
May 26-30 1st Test v Bangladesh, Lord's
June 3-7 2nd Test v Bangladesh, Chester-le-Street

NatWest Twenty20 International
June 13 v Australia, Rose Bowl

NatWest Series
June 16 England v Bangladesh, The Oval
June 18 Australia v Bangladesh, Cardiff
June 19 England v Australia, Bristol
June 21 England v Bangladesh, Trent Bridge (D/N)
June 23 England v Australia, Chester-le-Street (D/N)
June 25 Australia v Bangladesh, Old Trafford
June 26 England v Bangladesh, Headingley
June 28 England v Australia, Edgbaston (D/N)
June 30 Australia v Bangladesh, Canterbury
July 2 Final, Lord's

NatWest Challenge
July 7 v Australia, Headingley
July 10 v Australia, Lord's
July 12 v Australia, The Oval

npower Test series
July 21-25 1st Test v Australia, Lord's
August 4-8 2nd Test v Australia, Edgbaston
August 11-15 3rd Test v Australia, Old Trafford
August 25-29 4th Test v Australia, Trent Bridge
September 8-12 5th Test v Australia, The Oval

interesting to see that we'll be playing australia in both the natwest series and challenge......quite unnecessary especially considering the 3rd team in the natwest series isnt a competitive one. so we've got 7 ODIs, 1 20-20 match and 5 tests against australia next summer.
also headingly isnt going to host a single test next year which is hardly surprising considering englands poor record in recent years and the dangerous track that was played on in the recent NZ series..

Swervy

International Captain
yeah I dont really see the need for the Nat west Challenge thing a week after the final of the Nat West series (which will be between Australia and England any way)....would have prefered maybe a 3 ODI series England vs Bang and then a straight best of 5 or 7 series of Aust vs England

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Swervy said:
yeah I dont really see the need for the Nat west Challenge thing a week after the final of the Nat West series (which will be between Australia and England any way)....would have prefered maybe a 3 ODI series England vs Bang and then a straight best of 5 or 7 series of Aust vs England
Its all about money, any games vs Australia will sell out tickets and be worth more to tv so it makes sense to play 3 more games (as well as the 20/20) vs Aus than any other team in the world.

Also i think the reason leeds wont be hosting a test is more to do with the Poor attendences recently than the type of pitches there.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
orangepitch said:
Wheres Marc and his " its all about the money" pet theme now ?
Well they only Tour once every 4 years so you cant blame the ECB to milk it to make up for the shortfall tours from Bangladesh / Zim will make.

chicane

State Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
Well they only Tour once every 4 years so you cant blame the ECB to milk it to make up for the shortfall tours from Bangladesh / Zim will make.
India and Pakistan are playing after a much wider gap than that and if they plan some extra tournaments then he's quick to criticize that.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
chicane said:
India and Pakistan are playing after a much wider gap than that and if they plan some extra tournaments then he's quick to criticize that.
Thats different cos India complain about too much cricket and how they want to cancel tours etc THEN go and arrange extra money making stuff. Which imo is a wrong, if england after this ashes tour do the same and try to cancel tours or parts of them on grounds of too much cricket after all the Ashes stuff i'd moan about them too :)

biased indian

International Coach
some people where say that the IND ZIM BAN prposed in the early 2005 is a waste of time atleast in that series the second team to reach the final will be aftre a tough contest between ZIM BAN.while in this series its a know fact from the start that who the finalist will be they should have tried a best of three final and reduced the league games to 2 each

Swervy

International Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
Its all about money, any games vs Australia will sell out tickets and be worth more to tv so it makes sense to play 3 more games (as well as the 20/20) vs Aus than any other team in the world.

Also i think the reason leeds wont be hosting a test is more to do with the Poor attendences recently than the type of pitches there.
I would say that the attendances at the Australia vs bangladesh games will be relatively poor..and i would take a guess that not too many people would be really bothered about the England vs Bangladesh games either. I think there would almost be as much PROFIT to be made out of 7 England vs Australia games and 3 England vs Bang games as there would be with 7 Eng vs Australia games (in two different competitions), 3 Aust vs Bang games and 3 England vs Bang games..

yes ...overkill is the word i would use as well

Craig

World Traveller
Also I noticed that Lords will host the first Test, not Edgbatson which was the norm in 1997, 2001.

And plus what is it with scheluding back-to-back ODIs in two different venues in two different countries (or two different cities)?

BTW how far is it from Bristol to Cardiff? 2-3 hours by coach?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I am planning thus far to go to England next year, during the Ashes, with a fellow cricket obsessive. These dates have certainly gotten me hyped up about it! :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
And plus what is it with scheluding back-to-back ODIs in two different venues in two different countries (or two different cities)?

BTW how far is it from Bristol to Cardiff? 2-3 hours by coach?
About an hour i would have thought, its only 40 miles by road

Actually from an Aussie web site

Travelling to Bristol from Cardiff is probably easier than getting from Lord's to The Oval in central London, even when driving the van in the state that it is. It's only about 25miles by the time we get through the city centre of Bristol and out to the ground.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
Wheres Marc and his " its all about the money" pet theme now ?
I'm here and I can't see why they're doing it.

Even worse is no England - Australia ODI at Old Trafford, so will have to go the Test instaed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chicane said:

Yes, because at the time they had pulled out of one non-money making tour, because they were "tired", but not too tired to play a lucrative triangular series.

chicane

State Captain
How do you know it wasn't just postponed? And your arguement goes down the drain because they have rescheduled it after two tough series, after which they will be more tired.