• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 byes?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From Bill Frindall's column on the BBC Sport site:

"The answer is none, unless they involved overthrows. Many considered [Charles]Kortright (no W) the fastest bowler ever to appear in county cricket (1894-1907) and he may well have bowled a bouncer that cleared the rope. However, a ball which pitches and carries the boundary without bouncing or being intercepted by the batsman scores FOUR byes - or, more appropriately as it probably passed the batsman well clear of his reach, four WIDES.

Only HITS that clear the boundary can score six.

In 1967 I set a question for the BBC Radio quiz show, Sporting Chance which caused a certain amount of havoc because it had to be taken out of the recording and an alternative substituted: How does an umpire signal six byes? My answer was with three arms. Don Mosey was very upset with me!"

However, some other evidence I've found suggests Essex man Kortright bowled a beamer that didn't bounce at all on the way out of the ground...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No reason why it would be any different to a normal tip-over-the boundary - have to be a very short boundary mind!

Scallywag

Banned
stassen5 said:
can six byes be achie :mellow: ved if the keeper gets a touch on it and pushes it over the boundry?

No, for a six to be scored it must be struck by the bat, if the ball is struck by the bat then it wont be recorded as byes.

You cannot score six byes by clearing the boundry.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Charles Kortright was the player I was referring to.

In a club cricket game, he did bowl a ball that was awarded six byes!