• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacob Oram - more speed please?

Mingster

State Regular
Man, his bowling really got outshone by Flintoff's in the Test series, and his lack of any real speed over 80mph really showed. He has a big future ahead of him in Tests and ODIs, and his batting has enormous potential to be a international-class 7.

His bowling is around 128-130, and the lack of any speed really negates any bounce he gets. If he could just gain another yard of pace, he would be a good addition to the NZ's bowling attack as a major strike weapon.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Mingster said:
Man, his bowling really got outshone by Flintoff's in the Test series, and his lack of any real speed over 80mph really showed. He has a big future ahead of him in Tests and ODIs, and his batting has enormous potential to be a international-class 7.

His bowling is around 128-130, and the lack of any speed really negates any bounce he gets. If he could just gain another yard of pace, he would be a good addition to the NZ's bowling attack as a major strike weapon.
The thing is its hard enough on the body when you are an allrounder as it is, to ask him to give an extra 10% might result in him breaking down alot more like we're seeing from Flintoff a tad due to overbowling him over the last 12-18 months.

Mingster

State Regular
SpaceMonkey said:
The thing is its hard enough on the body when you are an allrounder as it is, to ask him to give an extra 10% might result in him breaking down alot more like we're seeing from Flintoff a tad due to overbowling him over the last 12-18 months.
Who said 10%? That's an extra 13km/h of speed. 5% would do fine thanks.

If you are going to say that, you might as well say that cricketers should stop working out, or improve that performance because it might injure that bodies.

Andre

International Regular
Mingster said:

I don't think you are quite being fair on him - he was veyr impressive at Lords, didn't bowl due to injury at Headingly and bowled without much match fitness at Trent Bridge, so any judgement you make on him at this stage isn't really well informed.

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
Andre said:
I don't think you are quite being fair on him - he was veyr impressive at Lords, didn't bowl due to injury at Headingly and bowled without much match fitness at Trent Bridge, so any judgement you make on him at this stage isn't really well informed.
Just wait until the ODIs.

Andre

International Regular
blackcapsrule said:
Just wait until the ODIs.
But he's a stock bowler at international level. His role is not to blast out opposition sides, and it never has been. It's more to keep the runs down and take a few cheap wickets, because he's never going to destroy a batting line-up.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
he hits the pitch very hard, and does well enough with the bounce and pace he generates.

i don't think any more speed would improve him much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you are only judging him on the England test series, it is very unfair, especially if you are referring only to the last test!

He was injurred in that last test, and wasnt supposed to bowl, except he did out of neccessity. He is quite capable over getting up to the 135-140 range consistantly when hes fully fit.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mingster said:

quite unnecessary, his height allows him to get more bounce from the wicket and makes up for any deficiencies in pace. he bowled well at lords and was clearly still struggling with injury at trent bridge. if he can improve his accuracy he can be a very very effective bowler.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Hes a tall guy. If he goes for those extra few yards of pace, he could get problems with his feet and ankles.

He's 6ft 6, (or 6 ft 7?) so that can put a lot of strain on your feet, ankles and legs (more so on the former then the latter, though)

Just my two cents. He's not made of solid Iron, although I admit hes pretty well built.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'm sure that Oram, too, would like to have an increase of speed. As would Tuffey, Styris, Franklin and every other 80mph bowler we have. I'm pretty confident that at least half the bowlers in the world would like a bit more speed. Hell, I'd like to bowl with a bit more speed, and I don't even play cricket. :p I'd also like our batsmen to be better and our bowlers to take more wickets. >=D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone has to say it; speed does not guarantee wickets. Ask Brett Lee.

As a few people said, he's been a little injured of late. Give the boy his due, eh?

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Being a Jacob Oram fan for a couple of years now i don't think it is worth it asking him to bowl faster. Anyway when he is fully fit he can get up to the high 130's and i have seen him bowl faster than tuffey. If we ask him to consistently bowl fast i think that he will more injuries and it wouldn't be worth it. :)

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
sportychic33 said:
Being a Jacob Oram fan for a couple of years now i don't think it is worth it asking him to bowl faster. Anyway when he is fully fit he can get up to the high 130's and i have seen him bowl faster than tuffey. If we ask him to consistently bowl fast i think that he will more injuries and it wouldn't be worth it. :)
That is totally correct. He is playing just fine without lightning pace.

Craig

World Traveller
Top_Cat said:
Someone has to say it; speed does not guarantee wickets. Ask Brett Lee.

As a few people said, he's been a little injured of late. Give the boy his due, eh?
A 'little injured'? :blink:

I'm adding that as a new phrase in the English language.