• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali not the first to decline invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz, you are really misrepresenting the facts here. Personally, I DO have some sympathy for why Murali might not want to tour Australia, and I acknowledge his right to do so. I also recognize that many players the world over have decided not to tour for ALL sorts of reasons, so much of the rancour directed his way in Australia is misguided.

However, I fail to see how you can compare touring a country (Sri Lanka) that in 1996 was declared to be in a State of Emergency by its government, and was facing a barrage of bombing attacks by the LTTE, to being abused by a crowd at a cricket match. You bring up Warne's (and if I remember at the time, Healy's also?) reluctance to tour based on actual death threats directed at both them and their family. This STILL is nothing like being abused by a crowd at a cricket match, and I would suggest that if Warne couldn't stomach crowd abuse, he wouldn't have been touring South Africa and England, where let me tell you, he receives HELL from the crowds.

Besides all this, what is your actual POINT? If you wish to deride Warne's fear for his security (and the fears both the Australian and West Indian sides had for their security related to the situation in Sri Lanka in '96), why on earth would you be DEFENDING Murali's stance? Can you see how your argument makes no sense? If Murali has the right to make this kind of decision (which I believe he has) not to tour because of the abuse he believes he'll receive from the crowd, then surely Warne has the right not to tour because people have actually threatened to do him physical harm. As have the Australian (and West Indian - I know you keep avoiding mentioning them) team the right not to tour a region in the violent throes of a civil war. Murali's reasons are a little less serious than these - even if I acknowledge that they're still valid reasons.

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too, but in doing so, you've lost the basis of your argument. To make sense, you'd have to defend Warne and the Australian team at least as much as you do Murali.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Sanz said:
No it's not. You need to read about the world cup, Australia's boycott plan had nothing to do with Civil War in SriLanka. They were worried about Fan reaction, which was not there at all.
What a load of rubbish.

Try reading some of the autobiographies of those involved.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
What a load of rubbish.
It really is rubbish. Fan reaction??? Sanz, if you can produce any evidence of this (besides some nutso opinion piece) that backs this up, I'd love to see it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
You bring up Warne's (and if I remember at the time, Healy's also?)
More than that.

4 or 5 recieved death threats. If I was bothered, I'd dig up autobiographies and tell you exactly who. Maybe I will tomorrow.

But I agree totally with the post. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anzac - If his action is illegal, Let the ICC BAN him. You or I do not have the powers to change anything, no matter how muny times you shout 'No-ball'.

As for the 'chucker' slang, I look forward to Aussie crowd chanting 'No Ball' every time Brett Lee runs into bowl. I guess they use this slang only when Murali bowls. Sounds like (double) standards to me.

Howard has a knack of opening his mouth when not needed, he did it twice in Murali's case, He defended Mcgrath's behaviour in WI as well.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Whether Howard has knack of opening his mouth or not, if Australia were chickening out in '96, Murali is definitely chickening out now.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
OK, let's try actually reading posts here.

His Doosra is illegal - and is banned. The stock ball isn't.

And how many home crowds do you know that abuse their own players? Of course it's double standards...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
What a load of rubbish.

Try reading some of the autobiographies of those involved.
Yeah, I would love to read Ranatunga's autobiography.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Whether Howard has knack of opening his mouth or not, if Australia were chickening out in '96, Murali is definitely chickening out now.
Well in that case Australians do not have the moral right to call his act as 'cop-out' or 'chickening-out' or whatever phrase they chose to describe it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yes, how to be a fat poor captain. Brilliant.

I meant some of the autoiographies of those who recieved death threats, and who were involved in making the decisions to pull out, etc.

EDIT: This is aimed at Sanz's post before last. He posted just before me.

chicane

State Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Ranatunga was hardly a poor cricketer or a poor captain. He was infact a brilliant captain. It's better if you just STFU rather than make clueless and biased comments like that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:

I meant some of the autoiographies of those who recieved death threats, and who were involved in making the decisions to pull out, etc.

EDIT: This is aimed at Sanz's post before last. He posted just before me.
Perhaps you meant autobiographies about how to fix matches, take money and get away with it.

I am sure those death threats were similar to the one England team got during the last world Cup. Really very threatening. ;)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
chicane said:
Ranatunga was hardly a poor cricketer or a poor captain. He was infact a brilliant captain. It's better if you just STFU rather than make clueless and biased comments like that.
Oh, dont worry, for him every captain who get under his skin using his own tricks is a poor captain. e.g. Sourav Ganguly, Arjun Ranatunga.

Great captains are people like chappel who ask their players to bowl underarm, or waughs who keep quiet or call it mental disintegration when his players are abusing others on the field. Really great.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sanz said:
Perhaps you meant autobiographies about how to fix matches, take money and get away with it.

I am sure those death threats were similar to the one England team got during the last world Cup. Really very threatening. ;)
Provide the evidence about match fixing, or else chicane's advice to Tom applies here as well.

anzac

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Anzac - If his action is illegal, Let the ICC BAN him. You or I do not have the powers to change anything, no matter how muny times you shout 'No-ball'.

As for the 'chucker' slang, I look forward to Aussie crowd chanting 'No Ball' every time Brett Lee runs into bowl. I guess they use this slang only when Murali bowls. Sounds like (double) standards to me.

Howard has a knack of opening his mouth when not needed, he did it twice in Murali's case, He defended Mcgrath's behaviour in WI as well.

the ICC can not ban him atm because he has not used the action since entering Phase 2 of the reporting process...........but it has stated that the action has been found to be illegal and that he faces a ban if he uses it & is reported again within the time frame of 6mnths (I think)...........

as far as I'm aware Lee's action has NOT been found to be illegal.............

regardless of whether Howard should or shouldn't have responded - you or anyone else have yet to show that he was actually WRONG in what he basically said (local vernacular aside)...........again IMO it's sour grapes / diversionary / conspiracy tactics & you will not convince me otherwise.........

I have no problem with him defending McGrath's behaviour in WI - if someone had made comments regarding my missus under those circumstances I'd have dropped him then and there - nothing personal mind you..........like they say in The Mob - you don't involve family with business.................

or aren't you aware that the comments that provoked McGrath's reaction were in relation to his wife who was undergoing treatment for breast cancer at the time & had just had a masectomy?????

:disgust:

actually that's not quite right - she'd had the op in relation to her first run with the cancer & had been in remission, at the time of the WI Tour she was undergoing tests or treatment for 2ndary cancer from the breast cancer - and it is the 2ndary cancer that is usually fatal in breast cancer patients........Glenn had wanted to stay with her & not tour but she insisted that their lives not be disrupted & that a sence of 'normailty' had to be preserved as part of her fight with the disease, otherwise she felt it was tantamount to surrendering to it.............

so now I am REALLY ****ED that you have the gall to bring the incident up in an attempt to not only discredit McGrath for his reaction, Howard for supporting him at the time, or to even insinuate that this purile rant regarding Murali is in anyway on a par with this or any of the other incidents you have referred to................ :puke:

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
It really is rubbish. Fan reaction??? Sanz, if you can produce any evidence of this (besides some nutso opinion piece) that backs this up, I'd love to see it.
Perhaps it is too late to prove it, but I will do my best.

In a damning editorial, The Times in London said Australia`s
current crop of cricketers lacked courage and diplomacy and that
the West Indies would never have joined the boycott if Australia
had not set such a "craven example".

"They (the Australians) have upset the organisation of a complex
tournament and handed a propaganda victory to the murderous Tamil
rebels who hold Sri Lanka to ransom," The Times said.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...EB1996/08FEB1996/WC96_AUS_CRITICISM_08FEB1996

Also read, various archived news reports at cricinfo.
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC96/ARTICLES/JAN1996/

anzac

International Debutant
Sanz said:
Perhaps it is too late to prove it, but I will do my best.

In a damning editorial, The Times in London said Australia`s
current crop of cricketers lacked courage and diplomacy and that
the West Indies would never have joined the boycott if Australia
had not set such a "craven example".

"They (the Australians) have upset the organisation of a complex
tournament and handed a propaganda victory to the murderous Tamil
rebels who hold Sri Lanka to ransom," The Times said.

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_dat...EB1996/08FEB1996/WC96_AUS_CRITICISM_08FEB1996

Also read, various archived news reports at cricinfo.
http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC96/ARTICLES/JAN1996/

or what - go there and place themselves at risk from "the murderous Tamil rebels"...........after threats had been directed to various team members????give me a f***ing break!!!!!!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Oh, the irony. I still don't understand how you can be so dismissive of this, and yet so respectful of Murali's feelings about being heckled at the cricket.

Incidentally, about four years ago, my wife, who was teaching at the time, received a letter that threatened serious assault in the mail. It scared the living sh!t out of us, to the extent that we barely left the house for about two weeks. The police never did find out who sent it, and in the end we weren't harmed, but until you've experienced something like this, I don't think you have any idea how scary something like that is.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
the ICC can not ban him atm because he has not used the action since entering Phase 2 of the reporting process...........but it has stated that the action has been found to be illegal and that he faces a ban if he uses it & is reported again within the time frame of 6mnths (I think)...........
That means rest of his deliveries are legal and the crowd chanting no-ball (before the delivery is bowled) is wrong. Why doesn't Mr. Howard tell the crowd to Shut the Hell Up.

anzac said:
as far as I'm aware Lee's action has NOT been found to be illegal.............
And as far as you are concerned, Murali's action is illegal. ;)

anzac said:
regardless of whether Howard should or shouldn't have responded - you or anyone else have yet to show that he was actually WRONG in what he basically said (local vernacular aside)...........again IMO it's sour grapes / diversionary / conspiracy tactics & you will not convince me otherwise.........
Sour Grapes for Australian fans, first they are crying that Murali is a 'chucker' and how he should be banned and now that he is not coming they are calling him names. If they are going to call no-ball every time he rolls his arm, shouldn't they be happy that the chucker is not visiting them. Let me guess, Murali has taken away this chance from them to abuse him. Really any one would be mad.

anzac said:
I have no problem with him defending McGrath's behaviour in WI - if someone had made comments regarding my missus under those circumstances I'd have dropped him then and there - nothing personal mind you..........like they say in The Mob - you don't involve family with business.................

or aren't you aware that the comments that provoked McGrath's reaction were in relation to his wife who was undergoing treatment for breast cancer at the time & had just had a masectomy?????
actually that's not quite right - she'd had the op in relation to her first run with the cancer & had been in remission, at the time of the WI Tour she was undergoing tests or treatment for 2ndary cancer from the breast cancer - and it is the 2ndary cancer that is usually fatal in breast cancer patients........Glenn had wanted to stay with her & not tour but she insisted that their lives not be disrupted & that a sence of 'normailty' had to be preserved as part of her fight with the disease, otherwise she felt it was tantamount to surrendering to it.............

so now I am REALLY ****ED that you have the gall to bring the incident up in an attempt to not only discredit McGrath for his reaction, Howard for supporting him at the time, or to even insinuate that this purile rant regarding Murali is in anyway on a par with this or any of the other incidents you have referred to................
Blah Blah Blah..If Mcgrath was so hurt then he should have controlled his filthy mouth and shouldn't have talked about Sarwan and Lara's gay relationship. who gives a **** if Mcgrath's wife was going through breast cancer, His attempt to use his wife's illness to gain sympathy out of this whole situation was so damn pathetic and disgusting. It is so good to see Australians crying after they are given their own medicine. :disgust: A medicine they call 'Mental disintigration'.

Status
Not open for further replies.