Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuvraj Singh and Andy Symonds

Yuvraj Singh and Andy Symonds

Okay them both are clean hitters of the ball and fine fieldsman, infact their ODI statistics must be a real pain for the test selectors. Both however have problems against quality spin bowling but both have age on their side and thus meaning plenty of room and time for improvement.

Yuvraj Singh's ODI career statictics read - 94 matches / 30 battign average / 87 scoring rate / 2 centuries / high score 139 done early this year against Australia, against quality bowling.

Andy Symonds ODI career statistics read - 96 matches / 36.21 battign average / 90 scoring rate / 1 century / high score of 143 not out against Pakistan in the WC 2003, against renowned and top quality bowling.

However both their stats have improved in the past 24 months. Both have dug their teams outta big mess, Yuvraj against England in the Natwest Series, tried in the TVS CUP with limited success and also the Australian VB series although he always needed a partner at the other end (remember he was the only one who sttod up at Perth during Lee's devastating spell). Symonds has done the job in ODI in WC, VB series and Lanka ODI series.

The Indian team (a large chunk) want Akash Chopra to remain as opener alongside Sehwag, Sehwag/Sachin and Dravid support him. But the board of selectors and Ganguly want Yuvraj to replace him.

In Australia, Katich takes Symonds place for obvious reasons (Katich has an average of 57, and in such a short period played a matchsaving century against India at Sydney) which means Symonds will most likely be left out. even though i hear he is to play at Darwin test next month.

what do you folks make out of this fine mess?

p.s. i would imagine Paul Collingwood is facing the same problem in England and who knows how they're gonna make room for Kevin Pietersen this september.

Pinball Champion!
    Yuvraj shouldnt be opening for India in tests.. he will be shown up against the likes of McGrath and Pollock with the new ball.. he isnt playing on a featherbed in pyjamas any more...

Symonds isnt really a test cricketer.. i dont think katich is the solution though...

With Thorpe and Butcher getting on, Pietersen should have no trouble slotting in.. Although the moment he goes back to SA, Nel and Ntini will have him for breakfast
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Yuvraj shouldnt be opening for India in tests.. he will be shown up against the likes of McGrath and Pollock with the new ball.. he isnt playing on a featherbed in pyjamas any more...

Symonds isnt really a test cricketer.. i dont think katich is the solution though...

With Thorpe and Butcher getting on, Pietersen should have no trouble slotting in.. Although the moment he goes back to SA, Nel and Ntini will have him for breakfast

Yuvraj has done his fair share in test cricket too. This is no joke but Symonds I can understand, Yuvraj (22yrs) has a test average of 51 (which is bound to drop down) but still at a scoring rate of 58. The problem is Ganguly feels its unfair for someone of his natural talent to sit out. Infact former Indian cricketer Polly Umigar called Yuvraj the left handed Ricky Ponting. Moreover lets not forget Veeru Sehwag did not start as an opener.

I personally feel Yuvraj must replace chopra.

As for Symonds, call me crazy here (and i know it sounds) but in Symonds I see a solid middle order test bat, for starters like Oram but with time, practise I think he can become a Jacques Kallis. Kallis himself wasn't all that good 3 seasons or so back. I guess Symonds only problem is that he wants to wear the Baggy Green, any other country would relish having him in their test squad....(he'd walk into Pak, probably SA replacing Dipenaar or McKenzie)..he'd have to fight it out in England and India though.

Also whom would Pietersen replace? thats the million dollar question. Certainly not Jones(a wannabe Gilchrist), not Staruss, not Vuaghan, not Thorpe, not Flintoff....probably Butcher (although as we saw Butcher's grit & experience came into play in the Caribbean).
    Last edited by Bapu Rao Swami; 20-06-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Pinball Champion!
    Looks like Pietersen will have to wait then...

Ha, that will **** him off...

International 12th Man
    Have India thought about having Dravid or Ganguly open (maybe even put Tendulkar back there)? Then Yuvraj could slot into the middle order and play his normal aggressive game without constraint.

As for Pietersen, well Collingwood is clearly ahead of him at the moment ad if Key keeps playing this well and impresses in the NatWest series, then those two are obvious candidates to replace Thorpe and Butcher. Where that leaves Pietersen, I don't know. Nice problem for England to have though (for once).

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapu Rao Swami
    The problem is Ganguly feels its unfair for someone of his natural talent to sit out.
    i reckon the problem is Ganguly feels its unfair for someone of yuv's natural talent to push him for his spot

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by pskov
    Have India thought about having Dravid or Ganguly open (maybe even put Tendulkar back there)?
    ganguly-cant
    dravid-wont
    sachin-shouldnt

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pskov
    As for Pietersen, well Collingwood is clearly ahead of him at the moment ad if Key keeps playing this well and impresses in the NatWest series, then those two are obvious candidates to replace Thorpe and Butcher. Where that leaves Pietersen, I don't know. Nice problem for England to have though (for once).
    I wouldn't even say that much. I think Pieterson is at the top of the list for English replacement cricketers and that England will try to get him in there as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Whether he deserves that acclaim is debateable.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Well, this starts again, in my opinion Chopra and Sehwag are the perfect 'ideal' opening pair any team would love to have.

But, you cannot leave such a gifted player like Yuvraj out. We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Well until I guess Katich screws up big time, I think it is safe to say he will be in the Tes squad for some time (have no idea though).

Personally I hope Martin Love gets another chance should the spot open up - perfect if Ponting or Martyn go down injured or could fill in should the number 50 or 6 go down.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

International Vice-Captain
    Although, Katich was probably not the perfect solution, Symonds in my mind is not a Test player. However it is true he can be a very solid bat. Look at his county/Pura Cup record.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ponting
    Although, Katich was probably not the perfect solution, Symonds in my mind is not a Test player. However it is true he can be a very solid bat. Look at his county/Pura Cup record.
    And yet, in my own little mind, 'Symonds' and 'solid' just dont fit properly...

'Symonds' and 'farkin huge six' fit perfectly, however.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    i strongly agree with the inclusion of yuvraj as opner, and also believe that katich should be aussies certain number five or six.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    I wouldn't even say that much. I think Pieterson is at the top of the list for English replacement cricketers and that England will try to get him in there as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Whether he deserves that acclaim is debateable.

Get him in the ODI side at the first opportunity.

Not so sure for Tests, can't see any player that deserves to miss out at the moment.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    Well, this starts again, in my opinion Chopra and Sehwag are the perfect 'ideal' opening pair any team would love to have.

But, you cannot leave such a gifted player like Yuvraj out. We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.
    I just cannot see how someone averaging in the mid-20s in Test-cricket is part of an ideal opening pair.
    I just can't.
    No matter how much his opening partner likes him.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information