• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Singh and Andy Symonds

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Okay them both are clean hitters of the ball and fine fieldsman, infact their ODI statistics must be a real pain for the test selectors. Both however have problems against quality spin bowling but both have age on their side and thus meaning plenty of room and time for improvement.

Yuvraj Singh's ODI career statictics read - 94 matches / 30 battign average / 87 scoring rate / 2 centuries / high score 139 done early this year against Australia, against quality bowling.

Andy Symonds ODI career statistics read - 96 matches / 36.21 battign average / 90 scoring rate / 1 century / high score of 143 not out against Pakistan in the WC 2003, against renowned and top quality bowling.

However both their stats have improved in the past 24 months. Both have dug their teams outta big mess, Yuvraj against England in the Natwest Series, tried in the TVS CUP with limited success and also the Australian VB series although he always needed a partner at the other end (remember he was the only one who sttod up at Perth during Lee's devastating spell). Symonds has done the job in ODI in WC, VB series and Lanka ODI series.

The Indian team (a large chunk) want Akash Chopra to remain as opener alongside Sehwag, Sehwag/Sachin and Dravid support him. But the board of selectors and Ganguly want Yuvraj to replace him.

In Australia, Katich takes Symonds place for obvious reasons (Katich has an average of 57, and in such a short period played a matchsaving century against India at Sydney) which means Symonds will most likely be left out. even though i hear he is to play at Darwin test next month.

what do you folks make out of this fine mess?

p.s. i would imagine Paul Collingwood is facing the same problem in England and who knows how they're gonna make room for Kevin Pietersen this september.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yuvraj shouldnt be opening for India in tests.. he will be shown up against the likes of McGrath and Pollock with the new ball.. he isnt playing on a featherbed in pyjamas any more...

Symonds isnt really a test cricketer.. i dont think katich is the solution though...

With Thorpe and Butcher getting on, Pietersen should have no trouble slotting in.. Although the moment he goes back to SA, Nel and Ntini will have him for breakfast :)

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
Yuvraj shouldnt be opening for India in tests.. he will be shown up against the likes of McGrath and Pollock with the new ball.. he isnt playing on a featherbed in pyjamas any more...

Symonds isnt really a test cricketer.. i dont think katich is the solution though...

With Thorpe and Butcher getting on, Pietersen should have no trouble slotting in.. Although the moment he goes back to SA, Nel and Ntini will have him for breakfast :)

Yuvraj has done his fair share in test cricket too. This is no joke but Symonds I can understand, Yuvraj (22yrs) has a test average of 51 (which is bound to drop down) but still at a scoring rate of 58. The problem is Ganguly feels its unfair for someone of his natural talent to sit out. Infact former Indian cricketer Polly Umigar called Yuvraj the left handed Ricky Ponting. Moreover lets not forget Veeru Sehwag did not start as an opener.

I personally feel Yuvraj must replace chopra.

As for Symonds, call me crazy here (and i know it sounds) but in Symonds I see a solid middle order test bat, for starters like Oram but with time, practise I think he can become a Jacques Kallis. Kallis himself wasn't all that good 3 seasons or so back. I guess Symonds only problem is that he wants to wear the Baggy Green, any other country would relish having him in their test squad....(he'd walk into Pak, probably SA replacing Dipenaar or McKenzie)..he'd have to fight it out in England and India though.

Also whom would Pietersen replace? thats the million dollar question. Certainly not Jones(a wannabe Gilchrist), not Staruss, not Vuaghan, not Thorpe, not Flintoff....probably Butcher (although as we saw Butcher's grit & experience came into play in the Caribbean).

Last edited:

pskov

International 12th Man
Have India thought about having Dravid or Ganguly open (maybe even put Tendulkar back there)? Then Yuvraj could slot into the middle order and play his normal aggressive game without constraint.

As for Pietersen, well Collingwood is clearly ahead of him at the moment ad if Key keeps playing this well and impresses in the NatWest series, then those two are obvious candidates to replace Thorpe and Butcher. Where that leaves Pietersen, I don't know. Nice problem for England to have though (for once).

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Bapu Rao Swami said:
The problem is Ganguly feels its unfair for someone of his natural talent to sit out.
i reckon the problem is Ganguly feels its unfair for someone of yuv's natural talent to push him for his spot

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
pskov said:
As for Pietersen, well Collingwood is clearly ahead of him at the moment ad if Key keeps playing this well and impresses in the NatWest series, then those two are obvious candidates to replace Thorpe and Butcher. Where that leaves Pietersen, I don't know. Nice problem for England to have though (for once).
I wouldn't even say that much. I think Pieterson is at the top of the list for English replacement cricketers and that England will try to get him in there as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Whether he deserves that acclaim is debateable.

masterblaster

International Captain
Well, this starts again, in my opinion Chopra and Sehwag are the perfect 'ideal' opening pair any team would love to have.

But, you cannot leave such a gifted player like Yuvraj out. We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Well until I guess Katich screws up big time, I think it is safe to say he will be in the Tes squad for some time (have no idea though).

Personally I hope Martin Love gets another chance should the spot open up - perfect if Ponting or Martyn go down injured or could fill in should the number 50 or 6 go down.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Although, Katich was probably not the perfect solution, Symonds in my mind is not a Test player. However it is true he can be a very solid bat. Look at his county/Pura Cup record.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
Although, Katich was probably not the perfect solution, Symonds in my mind is not a Test player. However it is true he can be a very solid bat. Look at his county/Pura Cup record.
And yet, in my own little mind, 'Symonds' and 'solid' just dont fit properly...

'Symonds' and 'farkin huge six' fit perfectly, however.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i strongly agree with the inclusion of yuvraj as opner, and also believe that katich should be aussies certain number five or six.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I wouldn't even say that much. I think Pieterson is at the top of the list for English replacement cricketers and that England will try to get him in there as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Whether he deserves that acclaim is debateable.

Get him in the ODI side at the first opportunity.

Not so sure for Tests, can't see any player that deserves to miss out at the moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Well, this starts again, in my opinion Chopra and Sehwag are the perfect 'ideal' opening pair any team would love to have.

But, you cannot leave such a gifted player like Yuvraj out. We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.
I just cannot see how someone averaging in the mid-20s in Test-cricket is part of an ideal opening pair.
I just can't.
No matter how much his opening partner likes him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
pskov said:
Who wants to replace Thorpe and Butcher? Not me, that's for certain. They're two of the best players in this country. One iffy series doesn't make Butcher a bad player. Nor are either him or Thorpe seeing retirement on the horizon; I'm perfectly confident both have at the very least 3 decent years in them, Butcher maybe 5 or 6.
Key, meanwhile, is an opener and we seem pretty well equipped with them ATM.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I just cannot see how someone averaging in the mid-20s in Test-cricket is part of an ideal opening pair.
I just can't.
And no matter that they work superbly as a partnership either?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I just can't.
so you'd rather have 2 makeshift openers then,both of whom are aggressive?
i dont see this working in the long term.....it might work in india but when they do go abroad it might just end up being a problem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And no matter that they work superbly as a partnership either?
tooextracool said:
so you'd rather have 2 makeshift openers then,both of whom are aggressive?
i dont see this working in the long term.....it might work in india but when they do go abroad it might just end up being a problem.
First directly and second indirectly, it is implied that Chopra "works", ie is a successful Test-match batsman.
He isn't!!!