• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Singh and Andy Symonds

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The current Chopra is the best opener you can have.

You just dont understand that he allows the middle order to score runs.

He is a real opener, and deserves to be in the team.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Prince EWS said:
The current Chopra is the best opener you can have.

You just dont understand that he allows the middle order to score runs.

He is a real opener, and deserves to be in the team.

Gee, then the Indian middle order are worse then i thought!! Cant score runs w/out help...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So ignore the 35 or more he bowled in the second innings, they're just an exception?
No, when did I say that?
I just said that South Africa hammered him last summer, West Indies hammered him in the winter and New Zealand hammered him in the first-innings at Lord's.
I was saying that this is likely to resume when West Indies play England again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Prince EWS said:
He protects the middle order from the new ball.

Also, its unfair to bring up his average when he hasnt even played 15 tests yet!

Chopra is a great player, and shouldnt be dropped for anyone.
15 Tests! You can't say someone has to play 15 Tests before getting a fair go! 7 or 8 is about right.
He certainly is not a great player.
And really, how often has the middle-order needed protecting from mighty bowlers such as Sami, Butler, Tuffey, Bracken, Williams and Lee? Not very often, I'd guess.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i meant that flintoff was picked consistently in the test side post 2001 or more accurately after the ind-eng series in india. rhodes on the other hand played every test match from 92 to 98 without performing much at all. surely he was retained for those 6 years due to his remarkable fielding ability......
Flintoff was recalled twice during that time - all right, he didn't play as consistently as Rhodes but I have no doubt had he done so he would have failed even more abysmally than he did in any case.
There are other examples of players who got long terms without seemingly doing much to merit it - Stephen Waugh for instance.
tooextracool said:
chopra might not deserve a free-ride for 6 years.... he should at least get another 2 series like some of the other openers in the past have
Those other openers who have cashed-in against some of the weak attacks they have faced, instead of failing miserably like Chopra has.
tooextracool said:
and despite my trying to show you that he has bowled well in pakistan, against SA at home, in the wc and in a few other series you still wont admit that you have been proved wrong.
He got good figures in the last 2 South Africa ODIs, not in the preceding ones. As I said, each game must be taken individually. By the sounds of things the last game, at least, was played on a seaming track.
tooextracool said:
nope i dont agree with you that the perth wicket turned that much on day 3 and there doesnt seem to be a way to prove that that was the case.....regardless you stated that finger spinners were useless outside the sub continent, so perhaps you'd like to alter that statement by saying that they are useless outside wickets that offer something for them....as are most spinners for that matter.
Wristspinners can turn the ball dangerously on anything. Fingerspinners can turn the ball dangerously only on wickets that are very dry. These wickets regularly occur only in the subcontinent, and sometimes in West Indies.
I have never said "fingerspinners are useless outside the subcontinent", maybe you've tried to misinterpret something I said to suit yourself and try to make it look like I've said something and gone back on it.
Fingerspinners are useless when the pitch does not suit fingerspin. Mostly these wickets occur only in the subcontient and sometimes in West Indies. That is all I will have said, because it is true.
tooextracool said:
now thats just plain stupid.......
yes im quite sure that having lightning quick reflexes and safe hands isnt that difficult......
Safe hands, many have, lightening quick reflexes will make your batting better. The fact is, Bradman's eyes and reflexes weren't exceptional - what made him an exceptional batsman was his concentration.
tooextracool said:
it just shows that there are times when wicket taking balls dont take wickets....which quite refutes your theory
No, it shows that there are times when good balls don't take wickets. A wicket-taking ball has to take a wicket - otherwise it is simply something that could have been a wicket-taking ball.
tooextracool said:
it is more likely that placing a short leg against a player who is vulnerable to the short ball would fetch wicket than placing him anywhere else on the field
Good players are never so vulnerable to the short-ball that they'll regularly get caught at short-leg.
tooextracool said:
yes and the others were given far more opportunities to change that....if chopra continued to get out in the same vein for another couple of series then yes he should be dropped like the others were. the fact is that chopra despite being just about as impressive hasnt been given half as many opportunities as the others were.
Because he has failed against poor attacks while others have cashed-in at least sometimes against weaker ones then failed against better bowling.

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
15 Tests! You can't say someone has to play 15 Tests before getting a fair go! 7 or 8 is about right.
He certainly is not a great player.
And really, how often has the middle-order needed protecting from mighty bowlers such as Sami, Butler, Tuffey, Bracken, Williams and Lee? Not very often, I'd guess.
Tendulkar's average after 8 Tests: 30.75
Steve Waugh's average after 8 Tests: 17.20

Prince EWS has a point when he says that averages are not a particularly good indicator for players with less than 15 Tests. Obviously someone saw something in the above two to persist with them for more than 7 or 8 Tests, and they were justified in doing so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Those other openers who have cashed-in against some of the weak attacks they have faced, instead of failing miserably like Chopra has.

He's not faced a weak attack yet in his career 8-)

In fact out of his 8 games so far, he's only once failed twice...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've never said he's great, I have however said his dropping is unjust as he has done an invaluable job for the team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he is failing badly after 7 tests or 8 tests, then it would be fair to drop him.

Im not saying that every batsman should be given 15 tests to prove themselves. Im just saying its unfair to bring up their average. If they arent scoring any runs at all after 7 tests, drop them and get someone else. But an average of 28.13 after 8 tests is nothing to complain about. Tendulkars average was only marginally better, and players like Attapatu and Steve Waugh had much worse averages.

And I dont really think he is agreat player now, but I certainly think he will be in the future, maybe after say.. 15 tests...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
...and what about yuvraj?? are you saying its fair to drop a guy who averages 51 from 6 tests???? compared to chopras amazing stats... :wacko:

Deja moo

International Captain
[DRUNK] Then drop Sehwag and play both Yuvraj and Copra for 6 tests .Direct shootout.Drop whoever is worse after the 6 tests.[/DRUNK]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nnanden said:
...and what about yuvraj?? are you saying its fair to drop a guy who averages 51 from 6 tests???? compared to chopras amazing stats... :wacko:
Different kettle of fish.

One is an opener, one a middle order player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I've never said he's great, I have however said his dropping is unjust as he has done an invaluable job for the team.
A job plenty of other openers have done in the past, and not got the credit for it because it didn't happen to happen in a drawn series against a woeful Australian attack where the middle-order fired like a bullet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
He's not faced a weak attack yet in his career 8-)

In fact out of his 8 games so far, he's only once failed twice...
So what? Double-failures don't matter if you counter-balance them with good scores, and equally you don't deserve credit just for managing to make 20 twice in a game.
What matters is his average.
And he has faced three weak attacks in his career - out of all the bowlers he's faced, there are two decent ones - Shoaib and Gillespie, both of whom were sub-par in the respective series.