• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Singh and Andy Symonds

Deja moo

International Captain
Richard said:
First directly and second indirectly, it is implied that Chopra "works", ie is a successful Test-match batsman.
He isn't!!!

congratulations on being the first on these forums to think so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tell me, how is someone who has an average in the mid-20s a successful Test-match batsman?

Deja moo

International Captain
Richard said:
Tell me, how is someone who has an average in the mid-20s a successful Test-match batsman?

He takes the shine off the new ball very effectively and has played what 2 series ?

Dont go by that average after just 2 series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
First directly and second indirectly, it is implied that Chopra "works", ie is a successful Test-match batsman.
He isn't!!!
so 4 partnerships of more than 100( 2 of them being more than 150) and 3 50 partnerships dont count then? surely you got to open your eyes and look at the number of balls chopra bats for,especially considering,the player at the other end is so very aggressive and more often than not is going to make up for that. some credit of india's recent success should be put down to his abilities to blunt the new ball and make life easier for their middle order.and thats not even including the fact that sehwag likes to bat with him or the fact that akash chopra happens to be the best forward short leg in the world ATM.....

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
there is no way yuvraj shouldnt be opening at the mo... chopra is not a match winner, full stop. yuvrajs talent shouldnt be neglected cause some guy can block half the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
3 series, which contained the same thing exactly - some 40s seeing-off the new-ball then getting-out to nothing strokes, and some single-figure scores.
All series played on very nice batting pitches against nothing attacks, where all his team-mates cashed-in (eventually).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sorry bro... chopra doesnt impress me, nor the majority of people i believe

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
where all his team-mates cashed-in (eventually).
and did it occur to you that the reason as to why they cashed in comes down largely due to the openers blunting out the new ball?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
although his statistics are rather impressive, im just wondering if theres anyone out there who has actually seen (on tv, but preferably live) chopra batting? does he block normally in fc matches, or is this just an international thing? and what about in ods?? he cant really get a strike-rate of 35 in em... can HE?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
so 4 partnerships of more than 100( 2 of them being more than 150) and 3 50 partnerships dont count then? surely you got to open your eyes and look at the number of balls chopra bats for,especially considering,the player at the other end is so very aggressive and more often than not is going to make up for that. some credit of india's recent success should be put down to his abilities to blunt the new ball and make life easier for their middle order.and thats not even including the fact that sehwag likes to bat with him or the fact that akash chopra happens to be the best forward short leg in the world ATM.....
Best forward-short-leg in The World, I don't think so. Andrew Strauss and Katich are pretty good. Anyway, that position's just a waste of a fielder except on turning pitches against spinners.
And so what about the number of balls he bats for, or how much Sehwag likes him, or how well Sehwag bats when with him? - the point of batting is to score runs, and you've got to score them at an average of close to 40 to merit a place in a Test-side nowadays. Yes, sure, his part in the Australia series success should not be underestimated, he made a big contribution - but still, his average is simply not good enough; if it were, there would be no questions asked about his place.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and did it occur to you that the reason as to why they cashed in comes down largely due to the openers blunting out the new ball?
The new ball - taken by brilliant swing-bowlers such as Sami, Bracken, Williams, Tuffey and Butler.
Sure, it took some skill to see them off.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a lot better than losing early wickets to Dillon, Cuffy, Hoggard, Flintoff, Ruchira Perera and Blignaut, isn't it? At least that's a good start.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, and I admit Das never did his potential justice so far.
Dasgupta, Jaffer and Bangar just weren't up to standard, though. Exactly the same as Chopra.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, and I admit Das never did his potential justice so far.
Das didn't have enough power to translate his potential into performance. Trescothick, Hayden, Gayle, Gibbs and several world class openers did.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Best forward-short-leg in The World, I don't think so. Andrew Strauss and Katich are pretty good. Anyway, that position's just a waste of a fielder except on turning pitches against spinners.

And when quick bowlers bounce and are fended to there.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Best forward-short-leg in The World, I don't think so. Andrew Strauss and Katich are pretty good.
i think anyone whos seen all 3 field in that position wouldnt have too much doubt that strauss and katich are barely even in the same league....

Richard said:
Anyway, that position's just a waste of a fielder except on turning pitches against spinners..
1) india play half their matches in the sub continent....you'd think that he would come in handy there quite often.....
2) forward short legs are also used to bounce out a batsman, i would always have a forward short leg for the first 15 overs of any test match.

Richard said:
And so what about the number of balls he bats for, or how much Sehwag likes him, or how well Sehwag bats when with him? - the point of batting is to score runs, and you've got to score them at an average of close to 40 to merit a place in a Test-side nowadays. Yes, sure, his part in the Australia series success should not be underestimated, he made a big contribution - but still, his average is simply not good enough; if it were, there would be no questions asked about his place.
no, there is a case.....its called 'potential'. the man is young and inexperienced surely he can work on his game to the extent of improving his average to the benchmark 40s. have you seen a weakness in his technique? i havent as yet. the only chink that he has is all temperamental and even that can be argued with the fact that he tends to bat for such a long time,before throwing it away.
and yes the point of batting is to score runs, but does it matter who scores them? if you had a partnership of 150 out of which one player scored 40 and the other a 110 would you call it a failure?i think not....if the partnership is going well why change it?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
The new ball - taken by brilliant swing-bowlers such as Sami, Bracken, Williams, Tuffey and Butler.
Sure, it took some skill to see them off.
oh really? so i would also assume that bowlers like dillon and cuffy wouldnt require too much skill to see off either would they?
and what happened in the WI 2 years ago? openers failed.....india lost
and against those sub standard zimbabwe bowlers in 2001....openers failed...india came out with 1-1.

clearly the middle order seems to do better when the openers provide a platform......

Deja moo

International Captain
Nnanden said:
although his statistics are rather impressive, im just wondering if theres anyone out there who has actually seen (on tv, but preferably live) chopra batting? does he block normally in fc matches, or is this just an international thing? and what about in ods?? he cant really get a strike-rate of 35 in em... can HE?

International thing. He is quite aggressive in FC matches.

And what do you mean by "can HE?"
Did anyone ever suggest that he should be tried in the ODI team ????

masterblaster

International Captain
Chopra is the reason that India were so successful in Australia. If you have had Yuvraj and Sehwag opening in Australia and if Yuvraj or Sehwag had fallen early as both are aggressive, it would've put monumental pressure on Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly.

Chopra saw off the danger, he was the rock, the anchorman, much like Mark Richardson is. The only thing is that Mark Richardson is expericenced and has turned his knocks in to crucial ones. Given time and exposure, I feel that Chopra will do the same.

Chopra is quite aggressive in FC and OD cricket in India, and has a very good OD average. John Wright and Sourav Ganguly gave Chopra his role to play, and he's played it damn well if you ask me.

The only thing he hasn't done is convert those 40's into bigger scores. He certainly belongs in International Cricket and is a better long term solution than any other Indian opening batsman in the past.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
yeh but what is yuvraj got 50`s or 100`s?? thats just a lame point...

ah well, heres hoping yuvraj gets his go.