Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viv sacked

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Viv sacked

Very interesting. Some may say it's about time. Not sure if I'll brave that route.

Viv Richards disbanded from Selection Panel
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Well you certainly were not improving under him. If anything you were going backwards. Something had to happen. In almost all sports people tend to think a great player will automatically make a good coach/selector, but this very rarely happens in reality. Selecting a team requires completely different skills to playing in one.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 20-06-2004 at 11:01 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

U19 Debutant
    I agree 100%. It's about time they took the heat off Lara. As the eminent Dr. Stephen Gift PhD (a lecturer at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad in the faculty of Engineering) so rightly pointed out to Tony Cozier at a recent cricket lecture at the UWI: When Lara is the only WI in the top 24 (at that time) in either the batting or bowling in Tests, then the performance of his team is not a reflection of his captaincy but a reflection of poor selection policies. IE. If Lara has a poor team, then how can poor captaincy be blamed when the team does not peform well?

Pinball Champion!
    They can do what they like with their personelle, but until the deep malaises that plague WI cricket (IMO attitude towards 5 day cricket, fielding and spin bowling) are sorted out, then I think we will continue to see them as basement boys...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

I don't think the spin department is in disarray. There is definitely talent there, it's just that the selectors (especially recently) seem to think that we have a pace battery worthy of displacing a spinner. Omari Banks, Dave Mohammed, Suleiman Benn, Amit Jaggernauth, Odean Brown - there's potential.

At places like the WACA I could see the logic in going with an all seam line up - in fact I can not wait to see Fidel Edwards let rip at the WACA with the Fremantle Doctor on his back.

Could make interesting viewing (either wickets or lots of runs).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    I look forward to hearing him on TMS
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelation
    I agree 100%. It's about time they took the heat off Lara. As the eminent Dr. Stephen Gift PhD (a lecturer at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad in the faculty of Engineering) so rightly pointed out to Tony Cozier at a recent cricket lecture at the UWI: When Lara is the only WI in the top 24 (at that time) in either the batting or bowling in Tests, then the performance of his team is not a reflection of his captaincy but a reflection of poor selection policies. IE. If Lara has a poor team, then how can poor captaincy be blamed when the team does not peform well?
    Just like a captain can only do so much with the team he has, the selctors can also do only so much with the pool available.

The problems West Indies face are many and a great captain and a great selection committee will not make them world beaters but to conclude that , therefore, Lara or the selectors are doing as good a job as is possible may also be less than true.

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    At places like the WACA I could see the logic in going with an all seam line up - in fact I can not wait to see Fidel Edwards let rip at the WACA with the Fremantle Doctor on his back.
    Except doesnt it come across the ground...?

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Yes, but it does give a little assitance to bowlers from the *insert name here??* end.
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    I've seen quite a few places putting a bit more emphasis on Viv resigning rather than being sacked

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    I've seen quite a few places putting a bit more emphasis on Viv resigning rather than being sacked
    Well, for the 4th Test v England, a lot of places put emphasis on Chanderpaul being rested rather than being sacked...

I don't see the point in resting Chanderpaul when he is one of the WI's best batsmen.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I don't see the point in resting Chanderpaul when he is one of the WI's best batsmen.
    umm perhaps its because he was in the worst form of his life ?
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    perhaps not the worst in his life.. but it wasnt amazing
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information