• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv sacked

a massive zebra

International Captain
Well you certainly were not improving under him. If anything you were going backwards. Something had to happen. In almost all sports people tend to think a great player will automatically make a good coach/selector, but this very rarely happens in reality. Selecting a team requires completely different skills to playing in one.

Last edited:

Revelation

U19 Debutant
I agree 100%. It's about time they took the heat off Lara. As the eminent Dr. Stephen Gift PhD (a lecturer at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad in the faculty of Engineering) so rightly pointed out to Tony Cozier at a recent cricket lecture at the UWI: When Lara is the only WI in the top 24 (at that time) in either the batting or bowling in Tests, then the performance of his team is not a reflection of his captaincy but a reflection of poor selection policies. IE. If Lara has a poor team, then how can poor captaincy be blamed when the team does not peform well?

Langeveldt

Soutie
They can do what they like with their personelle, but until the deep malaises that plague WI cricket (IMO attitude towards 5 day cricket, fielding and spin bowling) are sorted out, then I think we will continue to see them as basement boys...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think the spin department is in disarray. There is definitely talent there, it's just that the selectors (especially recently) seem to think that we have a pace battery worthy of displacing a spinner. Omari Banks, Dave Mohammed, Suleiman Benn, Amit Jaggernauth, Odean Brown - there's potential.

Craig

World Traveller
At places like the WACA I could see the logic in going with an all seam line up - in fact I can not wait to see Fidel Edwards let rip at the WACA with the Fremantle Doctor on his back.

Could make interesting viewing (either wickets or lots of runs).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Revelation said:
I agree 100%. It's about time they took the heat off Lara. As the eminent Dr. Stephen Gift PhD (a lecturer at the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad in the faculty of Engineering) so rightly pointed out to Tony Cozier at a recent cricket lecture at the UWI: When Lara is the only WI in the top 24 (at that time) in either the batting or bowling in Tests, then the performance of his team is not a reflection of his captaincy but a reflection of poor selection policies. IE. If Lara has a poor team, then how can poor captaincy be blamed when the team does not peform well?
Just like a captain can only do so much with the team he has, the selctors can also do only so much with the pool available.

The problems West Indies face are many and a great captain and a great selection committee will not make them world beaters but to conclude that , therefore, Lara or the selectors are doing as good a job as is possible may also be less than true.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
At places like the WACA I could see the logic in going with an all seam line up - in fact I can not wait to see Fidel Edwards let rip at the WACA with the Fremantle Doctor on his back.
Except doesnt it come across the ground...?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
superkingdave said:
I've seen quite a few places putting a bit more emphasis on Viv resigning rather than being sacked
Well, for the 4th Test v England, a lot of places put emphasis on Chanderpaul being rested rather than being sacked...