• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the most frustrating player playing for your country?

Slow Love™

International Captain
1) Brett Lee - I know I'm in a minority, but I still think he possesses the talent to perform well in test cricket.

2) Justin Langer - Just the sheer amount of chances he offers early in his innings. When he survives them, he shows how frustrating that early lack of concentration is. Also, saves his best performances for games of lesser importance.

3) Damien Martyn - He seems so capable of better. Reminds me of Mark Waugh.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I remember the Test match v South Africa at Lord last year when England were in trouble and he threw away an innings England needed by falling into South Africa's trap of two men back and bouncing him (the 1st innings) and at Headingly I do remember him getting out trying to slog.

He came in at 85-5, and when he went for the shots he had the combined talents of Gough, Harmison and Anderson to come - is he the only one to be blamed for that innings?

You never will accept he's a good player will you?

I'm surprised you haven't had a go at him for getting stumped in the 2nd Innings of that match when we were a mere 92 runs behind with 1 wicket left.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
He came in at 85-5, and when he went for the shots he had the combined talents of Gough, Harmison and Anderson to come - is he the only one to be blamed for that innings?

You never will accept he's a good player will you?

I'm surprised you haven't had a go at him for getting stumped in the 2nd Innings of that match when we were a mere 92 runs behind with 1 wicket left.
Shows how good a player you trump him up to be if you have a thousand excuses for him.

I have no problem if he plays his shots, but he should at least be aware that the man was out there and maybe have kept it along the ground or not played at all.

Heck if England needed 1 run to win a Test with one wicket in hand and he was on strike, and the field was up and he got caught, you would still make an excuse.

gio

U19 Cricketer
That is a hypthetical question. The answer, with Flintoff's new found maturity, 100 times out of a 100 he would score that winning run. Back in '98 when he made his debut, I might have said something different.

IMO, Vaughan, Butcher and Hoggard are the most furstrating players. Vaughan, since he became no1, has decided that he must score at least one boundary an over. The amount of times he has been out to a wide long hop/half volley is crazy for a player that made his debut classed in the same bracket as Boycott for mentality. Having said that, he does get some amazing balls at times, and is very unlucky with the umpires decisions.

Butcher always seems to get to about 20/40 and rarely goes on. When he does get a 50, its even rarer to see him get a hundred. 8 hundreds to 22 fiftys says it all really.

Matthew Hoggard, meanwhile, used to be the classic England swing bowler. After the Winter tour to NZ in 2001/2, he came back with rave reviews. Since then, he has lost the ability to swing it properly. He can swing it now an again, but not as often as is required. Such a one-dimensional bowler might find it hard to keep his test place, especially if Anderson starts to fire again.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Shows how good a player you trump him up to be if you have a thousand excuses for him.

No, I was pointing out that you blame him despite the rest of the top order being pathetic, and there was no support at the other end.

I believe Cairns did a similar thing at Lords with the tail in (OK, so the side had more runs on the board, but he still played his shots as there wasn't much at the other end) - on that occasion it succeeded.

Craig said:
I have no problem if he plays his shots, but he should at least be aware that the man was out there and maybe have kept it along the ground or not played at all.
That's not the way he plays - never has been! I find it amusing that you still criticise him in spite of the consistent performances he's turning in, can't accept he's a good player can you?

Craig

World Traveller
So hitting the ball along the ground is not how he plays? If he hasn't learnt to hit the ball along the ground when a man is out there then I would be concerned.

If nobody is out there, fine hit it in the air, just be weary of it.

Even he hits along the ground with two men out, and times it right he can still fours, it is just exciting if you look at the excitment value.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's not what I said - he goes for his shots - they go in the air, that is the way he plays when he is attacking.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
nuwan zoysa = talented batsmen but an ace clown, doesnt give his batting ability a chance!

romesh kaluwitharana.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
nuwan zoysa = talented batsmen but an ace clown, doesnt give his batting ability a chance!
With Gayan Wijekoon Ramyakumara and MTT Mirando competing, he should step up in batting.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Like some ppl have said already, Brett Lee remains the most frustrating factor of the aussie team for me. I do feel he has the potential to become a great fast bowler but when he gets his chance, he muffs it......

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil McKenzie - performs so well on the domestic scene but isn't consistent at all on the international scene. I think the pressure selectors put on him also adds to his lack of confidence in his own ability

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Trescothick for most of the last 2 years. Lots of talent, but often seems to lack the application when the going gets tricky. I got the impression he knew he could get away with underachieving because of the lack of alternatives around. However, maybe that's changing now. He certainly seemed more focused against NZ at Leeds, so maybe he's realised there are now guys around who will take his place if he doesn't do the job he's paid to do.

Butcher really should make it count more than he does. He's played some valuable innings, but he still gives it away too often.

Vaughan is maybe affected by the captaincy, although that doesn't excuse some of his dismissals, as commented earlier on the thread.

Previously Caddick, although he must be history now.