• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

Wasimsfan

Cricket Spectator
The question i want to pose here is that whome do u think is the all time greatest fast bowler that the world cricket has ever produced?
I have no hesitation to say that it is wasim akram(the greatest)

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
Yeh I agree. A few other bowlers would have to be looked at but Glen still has a few good years to cement his place as the best.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Yea. I agree. Glen would be one of the best but then I am only young and haven't really seen many others bowl

Kimbo

International Debutant
malcolm marshall. i don't know. all i know is that i super dooper dislike glenn mcgrath.

WIC_rules

Cricket Spectator
Glenn for all time ?? :O No chance in hell...

Id go for Dennis Lillee. He was just awesome !! Fantastic run-up , supreme pace , excellent fitness. Had the batsmen hopping mad ! The best that ive seen for sure !

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
True Denis Lillie was one of the most explosively exciting players I have ever seen.

Still would have to vote for Glenn.

[Edited on 7/11/02 by anthonysw]

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For the ability to bowl well on any surface, you'd have to go with Lillee. On par would be Malcolm Marshall and possiblly Sidney Barnes. Geez, no-one takes 189 wickets in 19 Tests without being REALLY special!!

Of the guys I've seen bowl live (as in, they've played in my time as a cricket watcher), It's a toss-up between Curtly Ambrose or Glenn McGrath. Curtly in the early days was QUICK and deadly accurate with the ability to bowl the unplayable deliveries. Glenn McGrath used to mainly rely on his suffocating accuracy to get his wickets but has developed into the more complete fast-bowler. For clinical precision and all-wicket ability, Glenn is easily the current best.

Hey Sunil, we said pick the 'best' not the 'best liked'. :D

As for Wasim, he was certainly a VERY good bowler but I was never convinced he could bowl as well on all surfaces. Slower wickets tend to bother him in this day and age, though he was pretty explosive a few uears ago.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Glenn McGrath? Best ever? Come off it...

Marshall, Holding, Walsh, Ambrose, Warne are all comfortably better and I haven't started thinking yet.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PWC Rankings - All Time Bests

1 Sydney Barnes ENG 932 16.43 932 vs South Africa, Durban 1914

2 Imran Khan PAK 926 22.81 926 vs India, Karachi 1983

3 George Lohmann ENG 923 10.76 923 vs South Africa, Johannesburg 1896

4 Glenn McGrath AUS 919 21.91 919 vs England, The Oval 2001

5 Muttiah Muralitharan SL 918 23.65 918 vs Pakistan, Lahore 2002

6 Tony Lock ENG 915 25.58 915 vs New Zealand, Manchester 1958

6 Malcolm Marshall WI 915 20.95 915 vs England, Manchester 1988

6 Curtly Ambrose WI 915 20.99 915 vs England, Port-of-Spain 1994

7 Waqar Younis PAK 912 22.98 912 vs Zimbabwe, Rawalpindi 1993

7 Shaun Pollock SA 912 20.72 912 vs England, Johannesburg 1999

8 Richard Hadlee NZ 910 22.30 910 vs Australia, Perth 1985

9 Ian Botham ENG 909 28.40 909 vs India, Mumbai 1980

10 Shane Warne AUS 907 26.52 907 vs England, Melbourne 1994

11 Derek Underwood ENG 906 25.84 906 vs New Zealand, Auckland 1971

12 Alan Davidson AUS 904 20.53 904 vs England, Sydney 1963

Kimbo

International Debutant
lol Sunil why do u dislike him ?
i don't like glenn mcgrath because he was rude to a whole lot of little kids who wanted his autograph a couple of years ago. i saw him tell them to go away because he was busy (he was as busy as any other player- standing on the boundary, not warming up or anything). he was the only guy that wouldnt sign and he was rude too.
he is an arrogant prick.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i thought the whole aussie 1st eleven was too
Actually you're pretty spot on. Aside from Jason Gillespie, Matt Hayden and Adam Gilchrist, they're pretty arrogant.

And Neil, that list is, quite frankly, a steaming pile. I see no mention of Dennis Lillee or Wasim and guys like Shaun Pollock and Tony Lock are in there???

As for Glenn McGrath being the best ever, we'll shall see once his career is over but I think he'll be right up there. It's pretty hard to find a bowler who has his combination of aggression, accuracy and all-wicket ability.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And Neil, that list is, quite frankly, a steaming pile. I see no mention of Dennis Lillee or Wasim and guys like Shaun Pollock and Tony Lock are in there???
Not my list.. it's the official PWC one. I would have the WI quicks at the top.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Glenn for all time ?? :O No chance in hell...

Id go for Dennis Lillee. He was just awesome !! Fantastic run-up , supreme pace , excellent fitness. Had the batsmen hopping mad ! The best that ive seen for sure !

Being Aussie and although I'm too young to have actually seen them, Lillee or Thomo for mine.

Of the modern day bowlers...McGrath, Lee, Pollock and Shoab are pretty awesome too!