• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Bowler

suchchin

Cricket Spectator
McDermott was certainly a good bowler, but wasnt great, that lists places him over Marshall and Hadlee, that shows that its crap!

Its true that Akram is not the bowler he once was, infact he should retire from tests cricket, but in his youth he was the one of the greatest bowler.

Who said that Kapil was lucky?? Kapil did had an advantage of lack of quality pacer in the team, but obviously u should know how to bowl to get wkts!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Actually to tell you the truth, I do agree with you partly. When Imran was around to groom Wasim, he was by far the most potent fast bowler in the world, Ambrose, Marshall, Patterson etc not withstanding. But since 1992, Wasim has become a shadow of a bowler he once was. The simple reason, short pitched bowling! He has totally wasted himself, he bowls too short thinking he can intimidate batsmen into getting out, but invariably it doesnt happen with top order batsmen, Ganguly might be an exception. Another simple reason for short pitched reason is economy rate, Akram has always had the mentality of hating to give runs, and unconciously fast bowlers feel short pitched bowling would not give away runs.

All that being said, its difficult to separate Wasim for m the rest so emphatically, overall he is in the same league, but with his rare talent he should have done more.
which is what i have been telling u all the time. he is in a way like lara...when turned on he can run thro any team. but other times he seems to bowl erratically.

for eg in the aus pak 99 tour of aus he sucked big time. i mean for a bowler playing to 12 yrs..he bowled short wide and too full.

then against the west indies later that yr or 2000 he seemed to get his rhythm and blew away every one. Then when i checked the scored recently no 6-11 were wasims domain. THis is one thing where mcgrath,donald,amby seem to score over him.

I am assuming this discussion isnt abt the most talented but abt who actually performed on the field.

But despite all this his record still is good. wow

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
McDermott was certainly a good bowler, but wasnt great, that lists places him over Marshall and Hadlee, that shows that its crap!

Its true that Akram is not the bowler he once was, infact he should retire from tests cricket, but in his youth he was the one of the greatest bowler.

Who said that Kapil was lucky?? Kapil did had an advantage of lack of quality pacer in the team, but obviously u should know how to bowl to get wkts!

do u even read my posts ? i said IN COMPARISON. Thts a qualifier buddy. can u tell me abt his youth ? i mean when do u think his youth ended ? what was peak and stuff like that ?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
scorpio: "he bowled short wide and too full"

Hmm, thats a bit tough to do, be short and also too full. Maybe you menat, ...short wide or too full...

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
scorpio: "he bowled short wide and too full"

Hmm, thats a bit tough to do, be short and also too full. Maybe you menat, ...short wide or too full...
yeah..thts what i meant

short or wide or too full..better :D

suchchin

Cricket Spectator
Akram was at his best till the early 90's.By late 90's he totally faded away.I think ur qs was already answered by Roy!

There is no point in giving reference to Akram's performance that were dated to late 90's and 2000, when he wasn't half the bowler he once was.To tell u the truth Akram should had retired from test cricket long back!

yorker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Everyone is entitled to his opinion.I would place Marshall and Ambrose above Akram, but Akram was in my opinion better than Donald.
Ponting rates Akram as the second best bowler after Ambrose, Steven have mentioned him as the best.
If one is talking about as to who actually performed on the field, then Akram fares much better than many pacers having been mentioned.Akram was erratic and off the mark in the past few yrs, but it wasn't the case thoughout his career.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Akram was at his best till the early 90's.By late 90's he totally faded away.I think ur qs was already answered by Roy!

There is no point in giving reference to Akram's performance that were dated to late 90's and 2000, when he wasn't half the bowler he once was.To tell u the truth Akram should had retired from test cricket long back!
tells a lot abt how much u know there bud.

akram entered his peak only in the 90's. Statistically and in other views too....90 - 96 was his best. Before that he was a tearaway with lots of capabilities and not much of an experience.

post 96 he has been burdened with politics, match fixing allegations, his own stupidity and fixation with waqar.

And no akram doesnt need to retire ( may be now he should). Coz he is still good enough to be one of paks top 4 bowlers..

cheers

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Everyone is entitled to his opinion.I would place Marshall and Ambrose above Akram, but Akram was in my opinion better than Donald.
Ponting rates Akram as the second best bowler after Ambrose, Steven have mentioned him as the best.
If one is talking about as to who actually performed on the field, then Akram fares much better than many pacers having been mentioned.Akram was erratic and off the mark in the past few yrs, but it wasn't the case thoughout his career.
I was mentioning what his capabilities are and what he has achieved. How much his stats are skewed coz he can blow away tailenders.

Yeah even sachin rates him as the best ...then he met mcgrath and changed his mind. I am not detracting from akram..

but just like warne's big leg breaks seem to be hyped to the skies so are akrams varieties and stuff..

Mcgrath,donald and amby snuff out batsmen with minimum of fuss.

Yeah akram can be more than a handful for batsmen - when he puts it together..

i can show u instances of matches where he sucked with the new ball spraying all over the park and showing no application and then came back in the slog overs to blow the tailenders away and end up with grt figures.

But in my book i rate players who perform consistently and when it matters..

cheers

yorker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah but as i said earlier that Akram fared poorly during the past few yrs and it wasn't the case earlier on.I can name a number of bowlers that struggled towards the end.As for that list, its crap, it doesn't prove a point.
I can mention u tons of matches when Akram performed when the team really needed him, to say that he was inconsistent thoughout his career is misleading!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Yeah but as i said earlier that Akram fared poorly during the past few yrs and it wasn't the case earlier on.I can name a number of bowlers that struggled towards the end.As for that list, its crap, it doesn't prove a point.
I can mention u tons of matches when Akram performed when the team really needed him, to say that he was inconsistent thoughout his career is misleading!
i am comparing him to whom ? yeah thts right. Mcgrath, ambrose and donald.

Oh tht list was just ONE OF THE INDICATORS. Having trouble understandind english ?

I am not telling ur view is totally wrong just that when it comes to absolutely flawless he loses out IN COMPARISON

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Noone is absolutely flawless, infact Donand was used to under perform in crunch matches.We have Wisden rating for the players, which is good enough, though some might not agree with it.

Anyway this topic is going nowhere!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Scorpio: Fix your sig. You know what I'm talking about too.

oh well i had it since i joined here ? it is a very popular quote..any way i will fix it..

jeez ppl do get sensitive here

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James has been quite clear about what is to be allowed here and bad language isn't one.

As an aside, I don't have a personal problem with bad language but with so many varying ages here, some people or their parents might get offended so I defer to reason in that regard.

Hey, I just work here..........:D