• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best player most people don't know about?

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
van der Bijl I came to know just a few days ago when honestbharani picked him in a test match. He had a very modest FC career though.

CP Mead, CB Fry, Aubrey Faulkner, Jack Gregory, Charles Macartney - I came to know about all the legends only after joining CW.
Modest in what way? He was (is?) the highest wicket taker in RSA FC by nearly 50%, as well as comfortably the best average and WPM.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Modest in what way? He was (is?) the highest wicket taker in RSA FC by nearly 50%, as well as comfortably the best average and WPM.
I believe he is talking about the batsmen Pieter van der Bijl not Vince the bowler. Vince is quite well known.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
van der Bijl I came to know just a few days ago when honestbharani picked him in a test match. He had a very modest FC career though.

CP Mead, CB Fry, Aubrey Faulkner, Jack Gregory, Charles Macartney - I came to know about all the legends only after joining CW.
Van der Bijl captured 767 FC wickets at 16.54, very successful considering his circumstances

Faulkner garnered # 1 spot in an All-Rounder statistical exercise conducted by The Cricketer, beating out the great Gary. He could easily vie for being one of the very few AR who could be selected on either discipline - batting (at 40+ avg) or bowling (at 26+ avg). For the life of me, can never figure out why he does not get his due.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Van der Bijl captured 767 FC wickets at 16.54, very successful considering his circumstances

Faulkner garnered # 1 spot in an All-Rounder statistical exercise conducted by The Cricketer, beating out the great Gary. He could easily vie for being one of the very few AR who could be selected on either discipline - batting (at 40+ avg) or bowling (at 26+ avg). For the life of me, can never figure out why he does not get his due.
I think he meant the batsman Pieter rather than the bowler Vince.

EDIT: Stephen has already said it.

I think Faulkner does get his due on here as he is often one of the earliest players selected in the drafts. He doesn't get his due from filthy casuals because they are too lazy to read up on players from decades before their time.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Alfred Mynn. Absolute hero. One of the greatest cricketers of all time IMO.
wikipedia

Mynn suffered an ankle injury before the famous 1836 match. He batted with a runner and was unable to bowl. Leg guards had not yet been invented and as he made his hundred in the second innings his legs were badly bruised by the Northern fast bowler Sam Redgate. Mynn's captain, Lord Frederick Beauclerk sent him back to London laid out on the top of a stagecoach.

Dr Bainbridge of St Martin's Lane and Surgeon Lawrence attended him at the Angel Tavern and debated whether his leg should be amputated. When told he would lose his leg at the hip, Mynn, a sincerely religious man, asked for a few minutes to say his prayers. In those minutes the doctors decided not to operate and instead had him sent to St Bartholomew's Hospital. After two years convalescence, he fully recovered.

After this injury there is some evidence that Mynn wore padding on his game leg.
How dare he.

AndrewB

Looked up some Ashes scorecards. During Mead's career, at least 2 vastly inferior batsmen played ahead of him. Both Jack Hearne and Percy Chapman played about 25 tests as batsmen averaging under 30. FC averages of 41 and 31 respectively make the decision even more bewildering. Hendren and Wolley aside, there couldn't have been any better middle order batsmen around.
You can read more about Percy Chapman at https://oldebor.wordpress.com/2019/05/01/the-long-decline-of-percy-chapman/ .
Besides being picked as an amateur, he was a very good fielder (at least for the time). Plus an Ashes average of 35 isn't bad by any means, if not up to Mead's level.

AndrewB

I explained Chapman/Mead in another post. Regarding Russell/Sandham, they were both openers and their careers overlapped closely with Hobbs and Sutcliffe. A brief look at the first class records will show the latter two were clearly better batsmen. Russell and Sandham have great test records but Sandham's average is underpinned by one triple century against then minnows West Indies. Russell only had a short test career and his first class record, while very creditable, suggests he would have struggled to maintain such great test numbers over a longer career.
Sandham doesn't have a great Test record; he averaged 38, and if you ignore that series against the West Indies he averaged 19 (with 1 fifty in 10 Tests).

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sandham doesn't have a great Test record; he averaged 38, and if you ignore that series against the West Indies he averaged 19 (with 1 fifty in 10 Tests).
1 nation taking part in 2 concurrent tests always seemed like taking the mickey to me anyway

AndrewB

Looking at the list of players with 10,000 FC runs and 1000 FC wickets, I can only see three with batting average more than double bowling average: Grace and Woolley are famous enough, but I doubt many people have heard of Frank Tarrant.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Albert Trott - the only batsman to have smacked a ball over the top of the Lords Pavilion