• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India v/s Sri Lanka - Who's the better team

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
On another forum, there was a debate on India v/s Sri Lanka - Who's the better team, and how it adds up on each side. But that forum is so slow while typing, I didn't want to say anything there. Who do you think are the better team? And how does it add up?

The Indians have an advantage with the world class batting trio of Sachin, Laxman and Dravid, with the aggressive Sehwag. The Lankans are having problems, with Sanath and Marvan, along with Sangakkara being the only really good batsmen in the side. The bowling is where the Lankans have an edge, with Murali, but he lacks support. Fielding is one area where the Lankans are ahead, since they have no weak links- the Indians have Saurav, Nehra and Kumble and also the wicketkeeper. But the Lankans don't have too many great fielders either- India have Yuvraj, Kaif, Pathan and Balaji. Both sides lack balance, and all-round skills of some players are not used.

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
India hands down. Batting too good, Lankan bowling is about equal except Murali

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tests

1 Australia 1587 (+20)
2 South Africa 1097 (+4)
3 +2 England 1010 (+71)
4 India 955 (+3)
5 -2 New Zealand 950 (-73)
6 Pakistan 807 (+8)
7 Sri Lanka 721 (+3)
8 West Indies 526 (-18)
9 Zimbabwe 267 (+5)
10 Bangladesh 82 (+41)

ODI's

Total
Australia 1323
South Africa 1177 (-1)
Sri Lanka 1034 (+7)
India 977
Pakistan 936 (-2)
England 925 (+4)
New Zealand 882
West Indies 861 (-4)
Zimbabwe 346 (-17)
Kenya 226 (+1)
Bangladesh 40

You pays your money, you takes your choice

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
India - I don't think SL's bowling will trouble India's batsmen too much.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
There is no point in this comparison at the present moment. Maybe 2-3 yrs back, we could have had a debate about who's better. But right now, India is playing really good cricket. I would say India is #2 in the world now

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
ReallyCrazy said:
There is no point in this comparison at the present moment. Maybe 2-3 yrs back, we could have had a debate about who's better. But right now, India is playing really good cricket. I would say India is #2 in the world now
The tables seem to indicate otherwise (about India being #2 in the world).

a massive zebra

International Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
I agree. Or even #1 because they have had the upper hand in the recent head to heads against the so called best team.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
India is way ahead of lankans in Test cricket. Lankans may be slightly closer but still behind in ODI's.
The Class and quality of Indian top 6, is no comparison to the average Srilankan top order. I tend to think even bowling wise, Murali apart, Indians are way ahead. When an Indian Team plays Kumble and Harbhajan, you have to say even bowling wise India will be way ahead (even with Murali).

chicane

State Captain
marc71178 said:
And vice versa IMO.
As shown in the recent games against them......the champions trophy final, the World cup game etc, isn't it?. And though Indians are good against spin, Murali is still tough and Vaas has done well against us. But overall though, also including fielding and catching, India are considerably better.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to know how the Indian bowlers would perform against Lankan batsmen. They have a weak pace attack and they give away a lot of runs on flat pitches. That said, the Lankans effectively have just 3 batsmen. Good chance for either side to improve those skills.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
I agree. Or even #1 because they have had the upper hand in the recent head to heads against the so called best team.
then it can also be argued that NZ is a better team than india since they had the better of the 2 series against them......

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
But overall though, also including fielding and catching, India are considerably better.
In the Indian team, Ganguly is a liability on a fielding side- he can't bend to stop a ball. He has dropped a few easy ones, too. Nehra is a joke when without the ball- everyone knows that. Kumble is not that great either. The Lankans are a good fielding side, with only one weak link- Russel Arnold. However, they don't have quick reflex fielders or accurate throwers in their side, while the Indians have a few.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
And though Indians are good against spin, Murali is still tough and Vaas has done well against us.
Dilhara Fernando did rather well- even caused quite a few problems against the Indians when they last toured SL. I still don't get it. How did the Indians lose that series, and so meekly? They looked pathetic on that tour.