• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What made the mid-1980s Indian ODI team so good?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
so which of his stats aren't "ATG level"?

Strike rate 29.5? Economy of 4? nearly 2 wickets per match?

edit: and to reiterate, obviously not claiming that Len Pascoe was an ATG, that is patently ridiculous. That's also the point.
balls bowled are also part of stats

morgieb

Probably about average, but taken together with the average, SR & wpm it's pretty hard to deny that those are ATG stats, albeit over a small sample

Is it even that small a sample for the 80s anyway?
Len Pascoe was a 70's player, not an 80's one.

I think 70's ODI's can be described as being "a bit mickey mouse/not a big deal", especially pre-WSC. Don't think it's fair to describe the 80's at least.

TheJediBrah

Len Pascoe was a 70's player, not an 80's one.

I think 70's ODI's can be described as being "a bit mickey mouse/not a big deal", especially pre-WSC. Don't think it's fair to describe the 80's at least.
Even more so then, 29 games was probably a decent length ODI career in the 70s.

Not sure why we brought up Pascoe in the first place though in that case

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wait I thought we were using Len Pascoe's stats to prove that people didn't take ODI cricket seriously in the '80s, not that we were trying to claim that Len Pascoe was an ATG
haha yeah that was my original point more or less, but ankitj's reaction to my post made me realise my point regarding indian fans and longevity - he just saw red as soon as he saw the name of a man with a short career(Pascoe) and the word ATG in the same post:ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
haha yeah that was my original point more or less, but ankitj's reaction to my post made me realise my point regarding indian fans and longevity - he just saw red as soon as he saw the name of a man with a short career(Pascoe) and the word ATG in the same post:ph34r:

More BS posting... :laugh:

mr_mister

and fwiw indian fans i'm not saying aussies are any better, we probably go too far the other way with quality > quantity

we talk up Bradman and Smith's averages like they are the one true 'best' stat/measure of a batsman and probably undervalue total runs and wickets a bit

it's something that lets us bring down Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad down a few pegs though

harsh.ag

Goes on a rant about Indian fans because an Indian poster said a non ATG bowler is a non ATG bowler

Accuses said Indian poster of seeing red

mr_mister

Goes on a rant about Indian fans because an Indian poster said a non ATG bowler is a non ATG bowler

Accuses said Indian poster of seeing red
my point was Pascoe isn't ATG but on stats alone he could seem like one etc more criticisng ODI stats rather than elevating Len Pascoe and so to me someone completely missing that is an indication they're not thinking clearly coz theyre so triggered/seeing red - and then naturally i deduced the reasons and my theory is indian fans really value the longevity factor of cricketer's careers, it is what it is

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
my point was Pascoe isn't ATG but on stats alone he could seem like one etc more criticisng ODI stats rather than elevating Len Pascoe and so to me someone completely missing that is an indication they're not thinking clearly coz theyre so triggered/seeing red - and then naturally i deduced the reasons and my theory is indian fans really value the longevity factor of cricketer's careers, it is what it is

And what it is, is BS posting... And nothing else.

mr_mister

And what it is, is BS posting... And nothing else.
haha yeah maybe. you have to admit it would explain why Kapil Dev is talked about in the same breath as Botham, Imran and Hadlee though. Coz just going by his averages he's only like Paul Reiffel tier as an All-rounder - but then you look at his centuries and his total wickets and he becomes a God

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
i've noticed Indian fans push the longevity argument more than most, maybe coz some of their best players rely on the quantity over > quality argument to be elevated to the next tier

Kapil had meh averages but held the wicket taking record so that allows him to be in that big four 4 allrounder discussion

Sachin with the century and run record etc allows him to be placed above Ponting and Lara

Lenny Pascoe's short career looks pretty damn ATG on paper to me
Nobody calls Kapil an ATG bowler though. He is an ATG allrounder with or without his longevity. If you are speaking about tests, a bowling average of 29 and batting average of 31 is ATG level. Same goes for Botham as well. Unless you ignore their batting.. Longevity is just an icing on the cake.

Kapil never had to retire with his world record to be rated ATG. People who saw him play rated him ATG while he was an active player.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

haha yeah maybe. you have to admit it would explain why Kapil Dev is talked about in the same breath as Botham, Imran and Hadlee though. Coz just going by his averages he's only like Paul Reiffel tier as an All-rounder - but then you look at his centuries and his total wickets and he becomes a God
can we get stephen in here to comment on Paul Reiffel > Kapil Dev

mr_mister

Nobody calls Kapil an ATG bowler though. He is an ATG allrounder with or without his longevity. If you are speaking about tests, a bowling average of 29 and batting average of 31 is ATG level. Same goes for Botham as well. Unless you ignore their batting.. Longevity is just an icing on the cake.

Kapil never had to retire with his world record to be rated ATG. People who saw him play rated him ATG while he was an active player.

Botham at least had the 5 point difference, and halfway though his career it was more like 12-15 points - we all know Botham stayed on too long

But yeah did Kapil ever have a point where he had a massive difference between batting and bowling average? 32-26 or something like that before falling away at the end? or did he always hover around 31/29

coz really Shane Watson with his batting average of 35 and bowling average of 33 looks just as useful to a team lineup on paper - but he's considered a test failure

so i guess it's just interesting to me how a long career can smooth over unimpressive averages, mainly when it comes to all-rounders

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Everyone I've heard talk of Kapil agrees he was one of the most naturally gifted athletes of his time. Indian seam stocks being what they were, he was inevitably bowled into the dust, but I'm certain he would've averaged 25 if he played for say England. He and Hadlee probably had the perfect actions for outswing.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always thought of longevity as a little bit overrated as a way to measure players achievements

Take Devon Smith for example. Been around about 17odd years yet under absolutely no standards whatsoever could he be considered anything other than a failure at international level. Extreme example I know, but I don't consider being able to stick around at the top level is a noteworthy achievement in of itself

Daemon

I mean we literally have hb in another thread saying 8 tests is enough to judge whether Warne's flipper was effective against Indians so I'm not sure where this Indians love longevity thing is coming from tbh.

I thought we were past nationalistic lines of posting, with the exception of Stephen/HB and semi trolls like TJB.

mr_mister

I've always thought of longevity as a little bit overrated as a way to measure players achievements

Take Devon Smith for example. Been around about 17odd years yet under absolutely no standards whatsoever could he be considered anything other than a failure at international level. Extreme example I know, but I don't consider being able to stick around at the top level is a noteworthy achievement in of itself
haha i think the idea is you have to stay in the side and rack up a lot of tests

mr_mister

I mean we literally have hb in another thread saying 8 tests is enough to judge whether Warne's flipper was effective against Indians so I'm not sure where this Indians love longevity thing is coming from tbh.

I thought we were past nationalistic lines of posting, with the exception of Stephen/HB and semi trolls like TJB.
yeah look i feel it's something i've hardly ever done in my time posting here, (bring up nationality) but i just had the thought today and felt like sharing it. Because Kapil and Sachin seem like the two biggest examples of players who's longevity is used as a huge point of praise/rating them. With Sachin it's more the thing that makes people put him above the 7-8 super highly rated batsmen with a similar average to him

it was a bit snide using ankitj's post as a launching pad and if you're reading this mate no hard feelings

TheJediBrah

Devon Smith didn't stick around at the top level though. He spent more time dropped than in the team.