Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: What happened to the flipper?

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar

What happened to the flipper?

Shane Warne's signature trick ball in the 1990s, until he stopped bowling it reportedly due to shoulder issues. I'm sure plenty of others utilised and mastered the delivery before Warne came along but he definitely made it famous during his time.

I feel like we very rarely see it bowled much anymore. Since Warne left the scene the only times I can recall seeing it used with success in international cricket were a couple of times by Brad Hogg in 2003, clean bowled disimissals of Andy Flower and Ganguly sticking in my mind. I haven't seen much Asian cricket in the last 10 years maybe it has been more common over there.

Am I just not seeing it as much or am I right in thinking that no one really bothers bowling it as a wicket-taking ball these days? And if so, why? Is it just too hard to bowl accurately? Not that good a ball anyway? Are batsman these days too clever for it?
    PramodMn and mr_mister like this.

International Captain the big bambino's Avatar
    Appears to be difficult to master. Grimmett was reputedly the inventor of the ball and it took him years before he used it in a match.
    JBMAC likes this.

It's bloody hard to bowl. Much easier to bowl the slider.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    As everyone else says, hard. You'd think it would be a useful delivery in T20s but probably not enough advantage over a flat, quick slider, which is ten times easier to bowl and probably not much less disguised (especially as picking it out of the hand seems to be out of fashion).

Cricket Spectator
    I remember watching a video where Warne sets up a South African batsman with the Ripper... It was brilliant...!!!

Cricket Spectator
    Found the Video. It was 1993-94 South Africa tour to Australia.. And the Batsman was Daryll Cullinan

mr_mister likes this.

Warne's flipper was what really set him apart pre 1998. It was an amazing delivery which took oodles of wickets.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Did Kumble bowl the flipper?

International Coach SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    During my youth crcket playing days i can recall Devendra Bishoo working on his flipper. He had a very good googly.
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

"Mi nah soft like a tissue, so tell me what is the issue?" -Koffee

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Did Kumble bowl the flipper?
    Not from what I saw. I don't imagine it would have been as useful for him anyway, given that his stock ball was generally flatter and quicker. What made Warne's so deadly was that his stock leg break was slow and loopy and when he threw the flipper in it looked like it was just a dragged down half-tracker. So the batsman would set up to cut or pull it expecting it to grip, turn and bounce slowly off the wicket but it just shot through low and straight and you were pretty ****ed.

How was Steve Smith's flippa

It is an extremely hard delivery to bowl and get right. From my own experience in trying to bowl it, it uses a lot of strength from the shoulder to push it through as well (which is why Warne couldn't really bowl it after his shoulder injury).

A few bowlers bowled it. Richie Benaud and Abdul Qadir come to mind among the exponents of the flipper. I think Mushtaq Ahmed would bowl it occassionally (although not very successfully).
    JBMAC likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Request Your Custom Title Now! honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    It is an extremely hard delivery to bowl and get right. From my own experience in trying to bowl it, it uses a lot of strength from the shoulder to push it through as well (which is why Warne couldn't really bowl it after his shoulder injury).

A few bowlers bowled it. Richie Benaud and Abdul Qadir come to mind among the exponents of the flipper. I think Mushtaq Ahmed would bowl it occassionally (although not very successfully).

Mushy's action was very jumpy. Based on the few times I did try it (Warney himself advised how to bowl it, in person, during the 2004 test.. ) you need a more stable delivery point to get it right.
    smalishah84 likes this.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Spectator
    Yes Warne lost the ability to Bowl Flipper post his Shoulder Surgery...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information