• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

chris harris was underrated

jcas0167

International Debutant
He has the third most not outs of any ODI batsman ever with 62(behind Dhoni and Bevan, two other finshers) but only produced a career average of 29, well below the level of the other 2 blokes. You'd think with that amount of 'assistance' from not outs he'd at least crack an average of 30.

Also, that famous 130 he got against us in the '96 QF was actually the only time he passed 80 in international cricket. His next best ODI score was 77* and in tests 71

Not criticising, I do like him and of course he took 200+ wickets while keeping things tight, but it's interesting
Yeah, his folk hero status in NZ was built around his battling efforts to salvage an innings with the lower order, although he didn't really produce big scores apart from the extraordinary WC innings. I think being a relatively humble, enthusiastic but down to earth guy who was losing his hair contributed to his popularity. Also, he came out to bat to Eye of the Tiger.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Still, boggles my mind that Canterbury and the Black Caps saw this guy bowling 100kph seam up and thought "yeah we'll give him a bowl" like, at all.
Man, from Coney's retirement in 1987 to Harris arrival in 90/91 ... NZ's 5th bowling ODI options were, to be frank, terrible.

Harris's arrival was like manna from heaven, not 'who gave this unco a bowl '.

2 years of Ken Rutherford and Chris Kuggeleijn sharing 10 between them. Then Gavin Larsen debuting as a 6 in 89/90, his bowling was good but his batting was woeful.

I know I'm replying to a 6 month old post. But some things are just too important to go uncorrected.

thierry henry

International Coach
Man, from Coney's retirement in 1987 to Harris arrival in 90/91 ... NZ's 5th bowling ODI options were, to be frank, terrible.

Harris's arrival was like manna from heaven, not 'who gave this unco a bowl '.

2 years of Ken Rutherford and Chris Kuggeleijn sharing 10 between them. Then Gavin Larsen debuting as a 6 in 89/90, his bowling was good but his batting was woeful.

I know I'm replying to a 6 month old post. But some things are just too important to go uncorrected.
I stand un-corrected cos where did I disagree with any of that. Unless Kuggs and Rutherford were bowling it backwards though, they can't have *looked* any worse than Harris.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why are people still posting in this thread made to tease phlegm
It was a joke about how he doesn't capitalise FFS. How is so much earnest conversation occuring. Chris Harris is regarded exactly as well as he should be. He's a an ATG All-Time-Guy

thierry henry

International Coach
It was a joke about how he doesn't capitalise FFS. How is so much earnest conversation occuring. Chris Harris is regarded exactly as well as he should be. He's a an ATG All-Time-Guy
Au contraire. The level of earnest conversation proves my point, that Chris Harris remains earnestly highly-rated by Gen X and millennial NZers who will defend his honour at any cost

thierry henry

International Coach
Also Chris Harris is a super fascinating cricketer in many respects (surprisingly poor ODI record given his reputation, cult hero, weirdly awesome FC batsman who never looked anything like it at international level, elite fielder despite un-athletic appearance and uncoordinated batting and bowling, looked 54 years old his whole life) so let us enjoy your accidentally good thread ****

Athlai

Not Terrible
Au contraire. The level of earnest conversation proves my point, that Chris Harris remains earnestly highly-rated by Gen X and millennial NZers who will defend his honour at any cost
Genuinely one of the best fielders off his own bowling to ever play the game.
Genuinely epic bald spot. Decent limited overs bat and bowler. Never clicked in Tests. Pure Andrew Ellis of the Test world.

A player that bats better than Chris Harris in internationals is good enough to be called a batsman, a bowler that bowls better than him is good enough to be called a bowler.

Jack of all trades master of none*
*besides aforementioned baldspot/fielding himself