• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DDD - Draft by Debut Decade

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Geoff Boycott
Roy Fredericks
Martin Crowe (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Mahela Jayawardene
Shakib Al Hasan 5
BJ Watling (wk)
Vernon Philander 1
Pat Cummins 2
Colin Croft 3
Muttiah Muralitharan 4

Pretty happy with this side. Could've say picked Michael Clark (or Hussey) at 6 instead of Shakib, but went for the extra bowling to ensure I had a potent side which could win anywhere in the world. Having both the leading run scorer and wicket taker in test cricket obviously helps.

Strong and varied opening pair. Decided on Crowe at 3 due to his technique and success against elite pace bowlers such as the WIndies and the 2 Ws. Sachin is Sachin (enough said) and Jayawardene has the highest ever score by a right hander in test cricket and forms a strong 3-5. The second best allrounder of the 21st century is at 6, while Watling at 7 provides incredible support in case of a collapse, can see off the 2nd new ball, or simply grind the opposition down . Cummins, Philander, and Croft are a quality trio with averages of 21, 22, and 23 respectively, Murali is the GOAT bowler and Shakib is a quality SLAer, and the side will be captained by the creative and inventive Martin David Crowe.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
My final side and summary (with stats)

1. Sunil Gavaskar 10,122 runs @ 51.1 - 34 centuries
2. Dennis Amiss 3,612 runs @ 46.3 - 11 centuries
3. Marnus Labuschagne - 1459 runs @ 63.4 - 4 centuries
4. Dean Jones - 3,631 runs @ 46.6 - 11 centuries
5. Jacques Kallis - 13,289 runs @ 55.4 - 45 centuries; 292 wickets @ 32.6
6. Clive Lloyd (capt.) - 7,515 runs @ 46.7 - 19 centuries
7. A.B. de Villiers (w/k) 8,765 runs @ 50.7 - 22 centuries
8. Ravindra Jadeja 1,869 runs @ 35.3 1 century; 213 wickets @ 24.6
9. Andy Roberts 382 wickets @ 25.6
10. Shoaib Akhtar 178 wickets @ 22.7
11. Jimmy Anderson 584 wickets @ 26.8

You might need to check these stats.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I am kind of hanging out for a draft idea that goes into more depth instead of just reshuflling the top 100 or so players...
I think you might find the next draft I have planned meets that brief. Very few "superstars" will qualify and there are a couple of twists.

I'll wait until this draft is completed and the vote thread is up and running before I open it for nominations.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
JOJOXI - honestbharani complete the selections.

I will need their final sides (and optional summaries) along with ataraxia's then I can post them in a voting thread.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Sir Gordon Greenidge (7558 runs @ 44.72)
Chris Gayle (7214 runs @ 42.18, 73 wkts at 42.73)
Rahul Dravid (13288 runs @ 52.31)
David Gower (8231 runs @ 44.25)
Steve Waugh (10927 runs @ 51.06, 92wkts @ 37.44) (C)
Ben Stokes (4056 runs @ 36.54, 147 wkts @ 32.68)
Brendon McCullum (6453 runs @ 38.64) (WK)
Shaun Pollock (3781 runs @ 32.31, 421 wkts @ 23.11)
Wasim Akram (2898 runs @ 22.64, 414 wkts @ 23.62)
Mitchell Starc (1515 runs @ 22.27, 244 wkts @ 26.97)
Bishan Bedi (266 wkts @ 28.71)

Pretty happy with this side, early picks in the latter rounds not so much in the early rounds I am perhaps missing a top class number 4 batsman but 2 openers who have been successful playing attacking cricket, if they get going they could really put opposition on the backfoot. I think Gayle's Test credentials are underrated and Greenidge speaks for himself. If with their aggressive style one of them were dismissed cheaply you have the rock of Rahul Dravid at 3. Gower a stylish batsman at 4 not a Lara or Tendulkar etc. but still very capable and Steve Waugh up there wiith the best number 5s around I'd argue. Ben Stokes a solid allrounder at 6 a nice 4th seamer (Waugh as a 5th one if needed too). McCullum can explode and play with freedom at 7 and I'd like to think the tail is pretty strong with the bat so even if top order failed - McCullum, Pollock, Akram and Starc could get handy runs between them. Very good spinner in Bishan Bedi after Warne and Murali one of better spinners in post-war cricket. Pollock an underrated seamer I think - part of one of the great bowling partnerships and he'll be a great partner for Wasim Akram. Mitchell Starc an aggressive option too and with Stokes and Waugh can be given a bit more leeway to be an aggressive bowler with relatively short spells. Gayle as a 2nd spinner too if needed.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Waiting for sides and optional summaries from ataraxia and honest bharani. I think 24 hours from now is enough time. After that I will post all teams but any not supplied will only be listed in order of selection.

ataraxia

International Coach
1. V Sehwag / pt
2. WM Lawry /
3. KS Williamson* /
4. IVA Richards /
5. AM Rahane /
6. CL Hooper / o
7. AC Gilchrist / +
8. DL Vettori o /
9. DW Steyn o
10. RGD Willis o
11. J Snow o

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Eddie Barlow (7)
Mark Richardson (10)
Azhar Ali (9)
Aravinda De Silva (6)
Doug Walters (4)
Quinton De Kock (wk)
Angelo Matthews (8)
Mushtaq Ahmed (5)
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Joel Garner (3)
Bruce Reid (2)

Just about everyone can bowl.. Great bowlers in Marshall and Reid with the new ball, followed by the greatest 3rd seamer in the world, Garner. Leg spin from Mushy, supported by Aravinda on pitches that take turn. Can also get in decent part time spin from Azhar Ali and Mark Richardson. Barlow, Walters and Matthews can all provide quality medium pace in conditions that suit them and otherwise chip in with a few overs to rest the main bowlers. Batting is pretty awesome with Barlow and Richardson being the very nuggety type of openers that will be difficult to dislodge for most bowling attacks, followed by quintessential #3 style batsman in Azhar Ali. Aravinda and Walters will come in next and provide aggression to the batting line up and a lot of exciting strokeplay and so will QdK at 7. Angelo will slot in between and play the role required by the team - either as an aggressor or as an accumulator or just as a stonewaller.