• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What has been the worst moment in ur country's cricket history?

delkap

State Vice-Captain
I come from India, and Indian cricket team has provided many low points in past to its fans. But one I cant get over is the 12 run defeat to Pakistan in 1st test at Chennai in 99, esp after the brilliant Sachin 100. With only 17 runs to get, they commited suicide. That is the single biggest heart-break in Indian Cricket in my view. Other close ones are, losing to Zim in 99 World Cup, losing to WI in WI chasing 120 odd, and WC2003 final.

Since there r so many people from all parts of world, it woud be intersting to hear wht others consider a low point of their nation's cricket history. I am looking for moments which gave u a heart-break (bad defeat..) rather than scandals or controversies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
1996 World Cup Semi Finals against Sri Lanka, Calcutta Crowd, 1999 Calcutta Test Sachin runout, Calcutta Crowd at work again. Two worst moments for Indian Cricket. Win/loss dont have that lasting effect on me, IMO they are part and parcel of the game.

a massive zebra

International Captain
For England its either

1. The death of English cricket in 1880.

or

2. Becoming the worst team in the world after losing to New Zealand in 1999.

Sudeep

International Captain
I agree.

For India, it's the 1996 World Cup semi-final against Sri Lanka at Calcutta.

Can't get worse than that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Personally...

1) "We'll have a bowl"
2) Andy Bichel at Port Elizabeth

No prizes for guessing South Africa's...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Personally...

1) "We'll have a bowl"
I think Hussain will take that thought with him to his grave :)

For me i'd have to say the WC defeat to AUS in 2003 was probably the lowest point, Aus walked through the Tournement yet England should have thrashed them, when you consider we surely would have beat Zim and should have beaten Aus and also Kenya in the super 6 we probably wont have a better chance to get to a WC final for a long while.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well where do I start??

1/ Run Donald Run!! (The only cricket incident that had me in tears afterwards)
2/ Read Shaun Read!!
3/ The morning Hansie's escepades came to light... I think it was on my birthday too...

Absolute madness... :(

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know where to begin for the West Indies!

The only time that I was ever in tears for a cricket match turned out to be premature. It was the 3rd Test between West Indies and Australia when Lara played the finest knock I've ever seen - 153 not out. When Ambrose got out and Walsh had to survive 3 balls from Gillespie. I was convinced we would lose and was in tears consequently. Needless to say, we survived.

Worst moments now:

West Indies vs Zimbabwe VB Series 2000
Chasing 120odd, we let Zimababwe get us for less than 100. :@
Nixon McLean got a 50 I believe... not totally sure.

West Indies vs Sri Lanka WC 2003
More anger and frustration than sadness. I was dangerously close to hate of Powell at the time.

West Indies vs South Africa 1st ODI 2003
More embarrassment and shame than anything else. I was really resenting facing Neil et al on CW. :p

West Indies vs South Africa 5th ODI 2003
Pure uninhibited anger!

West Indies vs England 1st Test 2nd innings 2003
Was quite surreal and not totally unexpected (for me anyway), so not really much emotion per se, but the scorecard suggests it was pretty bad.

Surprisngly enough, I don't really regard the 51 all out against Australia in 1999 as one of the worst moments I've witnessed. It really didn't shock me all that much - best team in world against a team 5-0 whitewashed = 51 all out - seemed a logical calculation.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Liam, nothing from your last England tour? 54 odd at Lords was it? Headingly collapse? Caddick 4 in the over?

And I seem to remember you guys being favourites...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Liam, nothing from your last England tour? 54 odd at Lords was it? Headingly collapse? Caddick 4 in the over?

Ah!!!!!!!!!!

Those were surpressed memories! I went through intense psychological sessions to cast those out of my mind and now you've made it all for naught!

Undoubtedly the worst moment I have witnessed in West Indian cricket history came at Lord's in 2000 - Dominic Cork swinging away to midwicket. The 2nd innings collapse was bad, but we still would have won if not for some crap captaincy by Adams (usually a solid captain), some crap bowling by Rose (never really a solid bowler) and Cork.

Now I must go and cry... :down: :cry:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:

Maybe he had wiped the more painful memories from his mind using hypnosis?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
My guess was weed...

Did the 1996, erm, 'incident' against Kenya bypass you? :)
The boys didn't have my support back then.

For the record (for all the newbies on CW), I don't do any drugs and have never touched even a cigarette in my life. I only drink alcohol extremely rarely and am an avid student of Biology. Don't believe the ginger propaganda.