• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know the selections at times have been baffling but have some sympathy for the selectors here. Paul, Hetmyer and Bravo decline to tour and all I see are people slamming the board for not selecting them (not you but even just looking underneath the squads announcements on social media.) The media statement surrounding Shannon Gabriel suggests he'll be included at some point so think the board need to be cut some slack there too in the short-term given he is just returning from ankle surgery.

On to the XI - I wouldn't mind that XI although with Rakheem Cornwall not proving himself with the bat in Test Cricket yet I suspect Chemar Holder unless the pitches are really flat might sit out for Bonner to slot in at 4 or 5 or they'll replace Holder with Reifer to try and strengthen the batting. Holder at 7 and Cornwall at 8 should be enough but I think they might try and stiffen the batting further. Perhaps Reifer is more likely than Bonner as then you keep 5 bowling options but have genuine batting options down to 9 and I think Roach is a very capable number 10 on his day. Also Reifer's inclusion in some of the 'A' sides, him touring the last time they went to England if I'm not mistaken and his left-arm angle will probably be factors used to justify his selection - even though I think his selection would really be more a case of fears over the batting holding up.
It's a good point being made on Reifer. He's been an important player for us in our FC campaign. Offers variety with his left-arm medium fast. He can hold on to a bat as well:

1. Campbell
2. Kraigg
3. Brooks/Blackwood(who moves down the order if selected)
4. Hope
5. Chase
6. Dowrich
7. Holder
8. Reifer/Cornwall
9. Alzarri
10. Roach
11. Chemar

Flem274*

123/5
that batting needs to catch the sri lankan penchat for mediocre averages, extraordinary hundreds

bowling gets a nod of approval

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Brathwaite should have never made that team IF i Was a selector. His batting is so atrocious.
He is on last chance salloon, you can only live off past performances for so long. He's very lucky that batting around the region is so bad.

They really have to get Pooran playing tests, we can't afford to leave out talent like that.

flibbertyjibber

Good on them for coming over but they must be mad. Don't think it should be going ahead given we are leaving lockdown with a higher death rate than when we went in to lockdown. Can see it being called off given all the mass gatherings in the last few days with no social distancing and no care about the virus which hasn't gone away in this country.

SillyCowCorner1

He is on last chance salloon, you can only live off past performances for so long. He's very lucky that batting around the region is so bad.

They really have to get Pooran playing tests, we can't afford to leave out talent like that.
Devon Smith. Yeah, I called his name again. lol.

No way we are going back with him. We have to convert one of these numerous batsmen into an opener.
Da Silva in my opinion. Hemraj...meh
Why not Pooran?

Beamer

Devon Smith. Yeah, I called his name again. lol.

No way we are going back with him. We have to convert one of these numerous batsmen into an opener.
Da Silva in my opinion. Hemraj...meh
Why not Pooran?
Da Silva can open but I'm reticent to sacrifice another promising young batsman to that opening position.

Beamer

Read this article in the Times that touched upon something I hadn't thought about. Playing behind closed doors might be good for Rakheem Cornwall as he will avoid the yobs being able to fat shame him etc.

Of course there is always the chance he would have become a barmy army cult hero also, but I rather think he would have been in for a hard time from the crowds in the UK.

Beamer

In theory the guys are supposed to be leaving Antigua today. As is customary, we've heard nothing from Cricket West Indies. Fingers crossed they all tested negative and arrive safely in the UK.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Imo he would definitely been a cult hero with the English fans, however he would still receive the 'banter' linked to his weight. Everyone would like to see him do well, we love him over here already and can't wait for him to establish himself and an international

Tom Flint

International Regular
Anyone who isn't a 'typical' athlete is always well liked even if they receive a bit of stick. Peter crouch, akinfenwa, Martin keown are a few footballers off the top of my head.
I'm sure it still bothers them though and isn't right even if it's in jest