• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off season 2020

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no wonder swaugh never says anything about Warne, once he said this 24 years ago he didnt need to say anything again

Sam Perry @sjjperry
Sorry about this, but giggling at a story from Shane Lee on the Betoota pod. Apparently at World Cup in ‘96 Warney tells Lee they’d be ‘the Shane show’. S Waugh pulls Lee aside and says, ‘you know the kid at school who has no mates and befriends the new kid? You’re that new kid’.

morgieb

no wonder swaugh never says anything about Warne, once he said this 24 years ago he didnt need to say anything again

Sam Perry @sjjperry
Sorry about this, but giggling at a story from Shane Lee on the Betoota pod. Apparently at World Cup in ‘96 Warney tells Lee they’d be ‘the Shane show’. S Waugh pulls Lee aside and says, ‘you know the kid at school who has no mates and befriends the new kid? You’re that new kid’.
Holy **** that is perfect from Waugh :lol:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Cam Gannon has signed up with W.A. on a 3 year deal. His main target is the Shield team but he's not averse to playing white ball cricket.

Definitely strengthens WA's injury hit fast bowling stocks.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Their justification for ditching the Dukes ball is it worse for spin. The stats tell a different story.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29401861/the-kings-dukes-ball-how-all-bad-spin

Non-homogeneous pitches that actually wear would be much better, pack of idiots.

That said the ECB has ruined the Dukes ball anyway so I guess we get to suffer through another 70s/80s period where the ball barely swings in England (at least from all the footage I've watched).

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, the lack of quality spinners domestically is something that far predates the Dukes ball experiment, tyare is a lot more at play there.

Look back 25 odd years and every team bar Tasmania had quality spin on their list.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Their justification for ditching the Dukes ball is it worse for spin. The stats tell a different story.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29401861/the-kings-dukes-ball-how-all-bad-spin

Non-Homogeneous pitches that actually wear would be much better, pack of idiots.

That said the ECB has ruined the Dukes ball anyway so I guess we get to tolerate other 70s/80s period where the ball barely swings in England (at least from all the footage I've watched).
hm?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last year on ECB order they reduced the size of the seam on the ball because it was supposedly doing too much in the domestics (which had nothing at all to do with early season, damp, barely cut pitches which you weren't even allowed to use the heavy roller on during a match because of the stupid no toss rule).

That's why there was very little conventional swing in the Ashes. There was also little in the first half of the CC, and the warm weather then meant a lot of big scores.

The ball never, ever moves too much or is too 'spin unfriendly'. It's always the pitches that are the problem.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You **** s could have done all this in 2018 before the Indian tour and let us get some wins. But no,you had to wait til ****ing Steve Smith came to decide "hey lets try to use the ball that does not help us do the one thing our bowlers are good at"...

vcs

Ball was hooping plenty when Australia were 120-8 in the first match, but that's just my untrained eyes. Is there empirical data on "degrees of deviation" etc.?

TheJediBrah

You **** s could have done all this in 2018 before the Indian tour and let us get some wins. But no,you had to wait til ****ing Steve Smith came to decide "hey lets try to use the ball that does not help us do the one thing our bowlers are good at"...
Ball was doing plenty in the 2019 Ashes m8

Burgey

I think Australia would be better served with a Duke ball than India tbh. I mean, Smith and Labushagne i the Ashes with it moving sideways compared with Kohli who nicks off to outies for a living in similar conditions. No guarantee it would do anything like as much in Australia as in England anyway.

Certainly agreed the Kooka has sucked for a lot of years now though. Ever since they started machine stitching, imho but I might just be old fashioned. They used to have a much prouder seam and consistent colour than they do now. Seems like they let a lot of lesser quality balls go out the door than they used to.